What would you want a "Most Active" leaderboard view to be?

1. What would you want a "Most Active" leaderboard view to be?

01-20-2020, 03:56 PM
    So a little while back, when a variety of the site fixes and improvements were being done, a couple new sorts/filters for the leaderboard view were added. If you go over there now, in the upper left, the filter dropdown will include the choices "Most Submissions" and "Most Active". Unfortunately, right now both of those don't actually do anything - they just use the same as the default, sorting by the number of records.

Now, Most Submissions seems mostly straightforward - I know it was intended to include a count of submissions that have since been beaten, and I think rejected ones too.

But for Most Active, maybe it's best to decide as a community what we want that to be. My original suggestion was to just count the number of submissions to a game in the last 90 days, I think I had chosen. But I'd like to see if there's any other feedback - what would make sense to you? Is that time frame too short? I kind of feel it is... and is it number of submissions? Or number of unique people submitting? Or something else completely?
  2. 01-20-2020, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGirl View Post
    So a little while back, when a variety of the site fixes and improvements were being done, a couple new sorts/filters for the leaderboard view were added. If you go over there now, in the upper left, the filter dropdown will include the choices "Most Submissions" and "Most Active". Unfortunately, right now both of those don't actually do anything - they just use the same as the default, sorting by the number of records.

Now, Most Submissions seems mostly straightforward - I know it was intended to include a count of submissions that have since been beaten, and I think rejected ones too.

But for Most Active, maybe it's best to decide as a community what we want that to be. My original suggestion was to just count the number of submissions to a game in the last 90 days, I think I had chosen. But I'd like to see if there's any other feedback - what would make sense to you? Is that time frame too short? I kind of feel it is... and is it number of submissions? Or number of unique people submitting? Or something else completely?
    I think 90 days is a good idea. What about adding "rolling cumulative total or option" Instead past 90 or 18 days only also have a rolling total days for past year(s).

Meaning First 90 days, next 90 days is actually 180 days, next 90 days 270 days, next 90 days 360 days?
    streaming mspacman normal and turbo speed at: https://www.twitch.tv/francoisadt

Francois du Toit
  3. 01-21-2020, 09:31 AM
    "Most Active" implies current submissions so the issue is frequency and possibly quantity. There has to be a balance between the two.

Someone who submits once every 30 days vs someone who submits 500 at once a single time each year. Both are extreme yet both in their own way are "active".

Further, and assuming a frequency rate is determined such as once every 90 days...I am 99.99% "inactive" as I only submit on a rare occasion and only on MAME. If I were to submit once every 90 days with a performance on a simple max-out title (such as certain challenges from "M*A*S*H" for the 2600), that does not mean I'm truly "active" in my opinion.

Same holds true if...for sake of argument...I were to submit via emulator 5000 on "Space Invaders" game 7A on Jan 1st, then 5100 on the SAME variation on Apr 1st, then 5200 on Jul 1st, etc...for the sole purpose of intentionally keeping myself on an "active" leaderboard. Thus it's not just a matter of frequency, thus discussing "quantity" comes into play.

In the sample scenarios above, you can't force a player as to which challenge(s) they wish to submit for otherwise that would be patently biased. By the same token it is possible to abuse criteria set in place by selecting the easiest challenges...much as how some college students select just the "Easy 'A' Courses"...same graduation outcome but based on a less challenging route of completion.

Another point to consider is the very definition of "active". There are some players whose scores are so "lofty" that beating them, even by a little, is a difficult proposition even though they may try on a regular basis. So if such players are be deemed to be "inactive" because their valiant efforts are coming up short, the bias against them is that their repertoire of titles is decidedly small and they are already at the top of their game score-wise, so to speak, even if they are gunning for their score(s) on a weekly or even daily basis.

Just some points to consider before any final decision on criteria for being "active" is finalized.

Also, once finalized the criteria should not be tweaked at any point down the line...that would be akin to increasing a baseball season by 10 entire games and then co-mingling any new single-season records with the ones from traditionally shorter seasons.
  4. 01-21-2020, 09:51 AM
    Looks like I need to clarify a little here - we're talking about a "Most Active" leaderboard view that indicates which GAMES have the most activity. It's not about individual submitters. If you go over to Speedrun.com and look at their list of games, they're listed in the order of which have the most people actively submitting runs for them. I'm wanting the same thing here - a way to see which games on Twin Galaxies have the most current activity in them. Which games are currently getting new submissions and competition.
  5. 01-21-2020, 01:43 PM
    Oh THAT...should be relatively simple for Jace to have someone in his programming team craft a script which tallies date-based submissions for whatever the recent period in question is (30-days, 90-days, etc).

I would be interested in seeing the following drilled down from the top...

Total submissions by platform (within the time period)
    Within that, total submissions by title
    Within that, total submissions by variation

Kind of like a tree structure with the little "pluses" to click on to un-hide additional lower-level content.

Have the script run once per week automatically and appear as its own Wall Post every Monday morning or whatever makes the most sense.
  6. 01-21-2020, 01:49 PM
    You also mentioned which games are getting competition...that could be a subset of the above for anything with 2 or more cumulative submissions since inception, another "script" which could be part of the weekly run. Just a thought.
  7. 01-21-2020, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    You also mentioned which games are getting competition...that could be a subset of the above for anything with 2 or more cumulative submissions since inception, another "script" which could be part of the weekly run. Just a thought.
    Or, it could just be implemented on the leaderboard sort dropdown that exists but doesn't work yet?

Name:  active.png
Views: 29
Size:  88.1 KB
Join us