Doubts aboud allowed hardwares for performance submission

1. 02-14-2020, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - Jace, there are existing examples of where a different controller does allow for a substantially unfair gameplay advantage compared to the original platform and TG has historically accepted this without this being a problem. I'll cite a few.

MAME and "Sea Wolf" - using MAME with a standard mouse is a physical advantage over the "periscope" for a number of reasons. For starters, the periscope only allows a portion of the entire screen to be visible at a time, nearly 100% but not entirely. Second, the physical back/forth motion of the periscope is substantially more difficult than the left/right sweep of the mouse. Yet bear in mind that there is no possible way to duplicate the physicality of the periscope with MAME...no such controller exists, thus TG has always accepted usage of the mouse. The same applies to the sequel "Sea Wolf II"

MAME and "Space Harrier" - for starters, the mounted/moving chair clearly does not exist and TG has never mandated that the flight controller style joystick be used for such submissions. Mouse and/or keyboard have always been allowed. Same for other flight controller stick titles such as but not limited to "Tron".

MAME and "Star Wars" - although it is possible for players to build their own yoke controller, the vast majority do not for MAME purposes, thus usage of a mouse and/or keyboard has always been allowed...however for yoke-based titles this is a distinct DIS-advantage for the player

MAME and "Pole Position" - as most players do not own a wheel/pedal setup, most players have been for years using a mouse and/or joystick combination. The same applies to most driving titles such as but not limited to "Night Driver".

MAME and multi-button titles - there are several titles which boast a large number of buttons and controller types so unique that no one could possibly own one that is commensurate to the arcade original. Such titles include "Top Secret", "Spy Hunter" and the obscure vector title "Sundance" which had a 9-button 3x3 grid controller panel - https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_d...p?game_id=9860 - thus in these specific examples, players have no choice but to use they keyboard controller configured as to their personal preferences to account for all of the action button choice possibilities.
    I think there is some confusion about my use of "original platform."

When I mention original platform in the previous context, I am referring to the original platform for that specific track. Not the original platform for the game itself.

Pac-man on the Atari 2600 is not the original platform for Pac-man.

However, the Atari 2600 is a platform that comes with controllers. This basis forms the context of my "original platform" mention.

If I play pac-man on the Atari 2600 to compete on the Atari 2600 track, and I decide to use a 3rd party controller with my Atari 2600 to play pac-man, it will be allowed as long as it does not offer me advantage over the "original Atari 2600 platform" controller.

That is the context.

My understanding of your interpretation above is that you may have surmised that I would have been referencing the original Pac-Man arcade controller, for example.

I hope that made sense.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
    Thanks RTM, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 02-14-2020, 03:18 PM
    RTM, thanks for your attention and help.

My joystick has no extra functions, programmable keys, etc. In fact, my worry is about this joystick is not manufacturated by a Worldwide Company, or similar. This is a brazillian product, and I was affraid about this detail. Being a product without a long time history in market, like TAC 2, Slik Stik and others, I think the best way is to show this before try some higher dreams.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
  3. 02-14-2020, 11:34 PM
    Many thanks for the reply, Jace, that did clear up my misunderstanding of your original intent !!

Robert
  4. Today, 07:17 AM
    I would disallow this sort of hardware given my concerns and findings in this thread.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...-everdrive-too

I'm personally against all Everdrive or boot loader type devices as there is just too much room for error. PAL/NTSC on real hardware can easily be overlooked leading to a speed discrepancy and people can easily edit a ROM then put it on a SD card. You would hope this sort of editing would show up in game play but who knows?

I think convenience is being somewhat prioritised over keeping hardware and software original. I had to invest a fair bit of money to get my NTSC consoles so i get it, it's far easier to do it this way but personally I don't vote on these submissions. I'm against it and think TG really needs to look more into my findings.

I put the effort into finding original hardware and software outside of the PAL region so i don't see why others can't. Convenience and cost isn't a valid reason to use this sort of stuff and if it is, it says a lot about the TG scoreboard.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Join us