Personal Information Required to Submit Scores?

  1. Personal Information Required to Submit Scores?

    02-02-2020, 10:54 AM
    Hello,

    I was looking over the rules, and it looks like it is requiring my personal information (including address, phone number, etc...) to be able to submit to the leaderboards. I don't mind giving my first and last name, or even the city and state that I live in, but I do mind giving my actual address and phone number, especially in light of the (unfortunately consistent) hacks that have happened on other Web-based platforms. It would be unfortunate, in my opinion, if I had to divulge my information, just to have my scores accepted.

    Thanks.
  2. 02-02-2020, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperPlayer10 View Post
    Hello,

    I was looking over the rules, and it looks like it is requiring my personal information (including address, phone number, etc...) to be able to submit to the leaderboards. I don't mind giving my first and last name, or even the city and state that I live in, but I do mind giving my actual address and phone number, especially in light of the (unfortunately consistent) hacks that have happened on other Web-based platforms. It would be unfortunate, in my opinion, if I had to divulge my information, just to have my scores accepted.

    Thanks.
    It would be *really* nice if TG removed the requirements to provide that information, along with insisting on showing real names on the leaderboards. Require them for people who want scores to show up in Guinness, assuming that happens again, but not for everyone.
    Join the UNOFFICIAL Twin Galaxies Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/7PfNNDk
  3. 02-02-2020, 07:16 PM
    IMO real names are needed. We are talking about real people doing great gaming accomplishments. Using handles and not proving to TG who you are really are on a public leaderboard could possibly create more distrust in the future. What happens if a gamer with a username "scorpion5431" submits a submission that is false and cheated. Twin Galaxies, would ban that person and the name scorpion5431 is tarnished as a cheater, and that it. So what is stopping the real person of "scorpion5431" to create new username, "angel5431"(new address, phone #, etc.) and doing it all again? Just create a new alias.

    When real names are used, more real recognition can be given and more consequences to those who break the rules. Which makes a way easier to keep a fair scoreboard. If you are submitting under a alias then why is there a desire to submit to a leaderboard anyways?

    If you really want to use a gamertag/ handle, do what Isiah Triforce Johnson did. Legally changed his middle name to Triforce.

    The address shouldn't need to be on file. Real Name ,email, phone number to verify and that's it.
  4. 02-02-2020, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timmell View Post
    IMO real names are needed. We are talking about real people doing great gaming accomplishments. Using handles and not proving to TG who you are really are on a public leaderboard could possibly create more distrust in the future. What happens if a gamer with a username "scorpion5431" submits a submission that is false and cheated. Twin Galaxies, would ban that person and the name scorpion5431 is tarnished as a cheater, and that it. So what is stopping the real person of "scorpion5431" to create new username, "angel5431"(new address, phone #, etc.) and doing it all again? Just create a new alias.

    When real names are used, more real recognition can be given and more consequences to those who break the rules. Which makes a way easier to keep a fair scoreboard. If you are submitting under a alias then why is there a desire to submit to a leaderboard anyways?

    If you really want to use a gamertag/ handle, do what Isiah Triforce Johnson did. Legally changed his middle name to Triforce.

    The address shouldn't need to be on file. Real Name ,email, phone number to verify and that's it. Besides, I'm not saying not sign up with real names - I'm saying not force everyone to show them.
    Speedrun.com is doing just fine with people using their aliases. People establish their identities with their records and Twitch channels, and find success with them. LackAttack24, Cheese, Kosmic - these aliases mean things to people, and aren't just discarded. Look at all the people running in GDQ events under those aliases. To many, they're not just throwaways. Heck, many of us here have done just fine with establishing ourselves in some manner under our aliases too.

    There's nothing to stop a person from making a fake real name. The obstacles may be slightly harder to overcome, but I don't imagine it's that complex.

    I feel the real name requirements should be a relic of TG's past.
    Last edited by GibGirl; 02-02-2020 at 08:24 PM.
  5. 02-03-2020, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGirl View Post
    Speedrun.com is doing just fine with people using their aliases. People establish their identities with their records and Twitch channels, and find success with them. LackAttack24, Cheese, Kosmic - these aliases mean things to people, and aren't just discarded. Look at all the people running in GDQ events under those aliases. To many, they're not just throwaways. Heck, many of us here have done just fine with establishing ourselves in some manner under our aliases too.

    There's nothing to stop a person from making a fake real name. The obstacles may be slightly harder to overcome, but I don't imagine it's that complex.

    I feel the real name requirements should be a relic of TG's past.
    I feel the real name requirement and that "evidence of submissions cannot be deleted" are the only reasons TG still has ounce of creditability left.
    Take those away, then what's the point. Put my handle up on the local arcade leaderboard in chalk and call it quits.

    Aliases can be meaningful but they CAN BE thrown away at anytime. You can't throwaway your real name once you built a rep for yourself. Good or Bad. Look at all the greats, like who could forget these staples of gaming history of Patrick Scott Patterson and Rudy J. Ferretti. :)
  6. 02-03-2020, 08:42 AM
    On the subject of real names...

    Name:  image.png
Views: 113
Size:  18.5 KB

    Should stuff like this be disputed?
    Likes nurtuo, Cyriss_Zeal liked this post
  7. 02-03-2020, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timmell View Post
    I feel the real name requirement and that "evidence of submissions cannot be deleted" are the only reasons TG still has ounce of creditability left.
    Take those away, then what's the point. Put my handle up on the local arcade leaderboard in chalk and call it quits.

    Aliases can be meaningful but they CAN BE thrown away at anytime. You can't throwaway your real name once you built a rep for yourself. Good or Bad. Look at all the greats, like who could forget these staples of gaming history of Patrick Scott Patterson and Rudy J. Ferretti. :)
    The thing is, I agree with your first sentence - TG would be worse off if it had allowed aliases from the beginning. For a long time, real names were the only thing that made sense.

    I think we've just reached a point where that's not as necessary anymore. People are developing identities and reputations based on those aliases, and they're big deals to just "throw away" - many of the people who have built that online identity around them can't even really do that anymore. I'd argue that in some cases, having the score on the leaderboard under their real name instead of online identity is less identifiable.

    And remember, managing personal information online and privacy is becoming far more important. I think there's an argument to be made that TG's real name requirement could be seen as exclusionary to people who have legitimate concerns about their privacy, in a world where people get doxxed and threatened for sharing opinions others dislike.
    Join the UNOFFICIAL Twin Galaxies Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/7PfNNDk
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  8. 02-03-2020, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGirl View Post

    And remember, managing personal information online and privacy is becoming far more important. I think there's an argument to be made that TG's real name requirement could be seen as exclusionary to people who have legitimate concerns about their privacy, in a world where people get doxxed and threatened for sharing opinions others dislike.
    No offense to any of those people have a legitimate concern. But, I don't want to compete against anyone who are masking themselves. Cause I really don't know if it is the same person each time. When the police pulls me over, I don't provide my ID as "timmell", then when I need assistance at my home from the police, my name/ID is now Michael Sroka.

    My example:
    I play in hockey league, each year I must register and provide my ID. Which I must wear my last name on my jersey. The players on the other team learn who I'm and can view my name on a public roster. The main purpose to register is for liability reasons. So if I went crazy on the ice and started slashing everyone, hitting from behind, etc. The consequences would be more than being kicked out of league. Likely wouldn't be able to play in a another league, Other players from the league would have a negative view of me in the real world, and Maybe I wouldn't get a job in future because of the negative view could be had by a possible hiring manager. Or the most important factor, my name is public for a way to track me down and sue me for my neglect actions on the ice.

    By the league creating a rule for me to register my name, keeps a individual more"in check" when it comes to behavior,etc. Which creates a more safer/fair league in general for all players

    .
    And if people are getting doxxed and threatened for sharing opinions online, I'm pretty sure they don't share those same opinions in a public setting not online. Or at least in a respectful way to all viewpoints, to bring on those threats


    Twin Galaxies is exclusionary. It supposed to be, we are all trying to be #1 or climb the leader board to be exclusionary at the top. Or as close as we can.
  9. 02-03-2020, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timmell View Post
    No offense to any of those people have a legitimate concern. But, I don't want to compete against anyone who are masking themselves. Cause I really don't know if it is the same person each time. When the police pulls me over, I don't provide my ID as "timmell", then when I need assistance at my home from the police, my name/ID is now Michael Sroka.

    My example:
    I play in hockey league, each year I must register and provide my ID. Which I must wear my last name on my jersey. The players on the other team learn who I'm and can view my name on a public roster. The main purpose to register is for liability reasons. So if I went crazy on the ice and started slashing everyone, hitting from behind, etc. The consequences would be more than being kicked out of league. Likely wouldn't be able to play in a another league, Other players from the league would have a negative view of me in the real world, and Maybe I wouldn't get a job in future because of the negative view could be had by a possible hiring manager. Or the most important factor, my name is public for a way to track me down and sue me for my neglect actions on the ice.

    By the league creating a rule for me to register my name, keeps a individual more"in check" when it comes to behavior,etc. Which creates a more safer/fair league in general for all players

    .
    And if people are getting doxxed and threatened for sharing opinions online, I'm pretty sure they don't share those same opinions in a public setting not online. Or at least in a respectful way to all viewpoints, to bring on those threats


    Twin Galaxies is exclusionary. It supposed to be, we are all trying to be #1 or climb the leader board to be exclusionary at the top. Or as close as we can.
    I concur with this WHOLEHEARTEDLY ... ALL of it. I'd even go a bit further.

    My handle is "ZilchSr", and has been for over 20 years. It's what I use on literally every platform I'm involved on, gaming and otherwise ... *OTHER THAN TG*. I go by my real name here. The way I look at it is this:

    If you give enough of a damn about your gaming accomplishment, and are so proud of it that you want perpetual recognition for achieving the record by literally *the* world's standard-bearer for official video game high score records, TwinGalaxies, then you should give enough of a damn about providing the only legitimate means of proving you are who you say you are and that you did what you claim you did, and how you did it by giving adequate submission evidence. It will never happen (and nor should it, however ...) but I'd even be fine with requiring a government-issued photo ID ... but then again, I'm not one of those "big brother is watching you" conspiracy types that get freaked out if someone knows my name or location. I do indeed understand that some people are concerned with doxxing, but to be honest, that is a concern that I personally cannot relate to. I have, shall we say, more than adequate means to defend myself, physically or rhetorically, but I do realize and appreciate that not everyone have those same luxuries.

    From a practicality perspective, I can say FOR A FACT that if we resort to "aliases are good enough", then the bullshit that is happening right now at Highscore.com will happen here. I cannot and will not submit another score there until they get a handle on multiple-account-making trolls that log in simply to down-vote your score, effectively nullifying any attempt by me to submit a score. What happened? I shared a bit of truth that caused a child (or childlike) immature, sissy, pansy, weakling, inept, maladroit troll to get extraordinarily butt hurt ... and that's just ONE individual that can effectively cause the death of that site. Just since I've been there (March 2019), there are more than several dozen players, including several TG members, who have left and will never come back because this is allowed to happen ... which could not happen if members were actually vetted. All serious organizations on the planet vet their members ... I don't see any legitimate reason for TwinGalaxies to be the only one that doesn't.

    There is a direct correlation between the seriousness and legitimacy of an organization and a robust vetting process. IMHO, TG's vetting policy isn't even robust enough for my taste. I've seen too much for me to hold any sort of philosophy that resembles, "Meh ... I'll just trust you are who you say you are, and I'll just trust that you did what you said you did ... nah, don't bother showing your original hardware ... you said you used orig h/w in the submission message, so I'll just believe you and try to convince everyone else to just believe it, too, and also, I'll get mad at anyone who raises questions about your severe lack of evidence, and offer up the old, tired, lame, 'That's the way it's always been done ... See?!? That other score was accepted, and it had the same lack! Accepted! YAY!' excuse."

    Just my two cents ... which I admit is also all that my two cents is worth, if even that.
    Last edited by Garrett Holland; 02-03-2020 at 01:58 PM.
    Thanks timmell, Rogerpoco, Cyriss_Zeal, Ragequit thanked this post
  10. 02-03-2020, 03:09 PM
    ... one other thing of note: When one voluntarily engages in public competition, they become a de facto public figure, and reap all of the benefits and detriments that inherently come with having such a status, regardless of one's preference to *not* receive those benefits and detriments.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us