"Extra Terrestrial" for the 2600 - is this Real ?

1. "Extra Terrestrial" for the 2600 - is this Real ?

02-12-2020, 10:17 AM
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Worlds-Rare...AAAOSwRWddoML0

There's an Ebay auction right now for a title that I never heard of before...the seller claims to be the only "private owner" of the title with the rest held "in museums". He's asking a princely sum for it ($90K) which is just simply not worth it for any game, but I'm curious as to whether this title is for real or not.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  124.5 KB
    Likes Pat Larocque liked this post
  2. 02-12-2020, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Worlds-Rare...AAAOSwRWddoML0

There's an Ebay auction right now for a title that I never heard of before...the seller claims to be the only "private owner" of the title with the rest held "in museums". He's asking a princely sum for it ($90K) which is just simply not worth it for any game, but I'm curious as to whether this title is for real or not.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  124.5 KB
    I believe it is real. I've read more than one article about it, all plausible from reputable sources which led me to the conclusion. What is NOT real is the seller's expectation that he'll ever get anywhere close to 90K for it. I've been monitoring that eBay listing for years and it has been listed for much longer than that ... never a single bid on it.
    Thanks RTM thanked this post
    Likes Pat Larocque liked this post
  3. 02-12-2020, 02:15 PM
    Thanks, Garrett. In the open market a unique product is only worth as much as what the top buyer is willing to pay.

Could be that this title is going to reside with this owner for the duration.

I had this problem decades ago when I was collecting vintage films. A person owned the original film reel/cannister for the 1910 "Frankenstein" film and at the time was turning down legitimate offers because they wanted some ungodly sum. Meanwhile the film was degrading by the day. I'm guessing that the owner either eventually relented or that they died and the heir decided to accept a good offer as it has been available for some time on YouTube. Other film owners pulled the same stunt with some of the vintage "serials" that were not yet transferred at the time to VHS tape.
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  4. 02-13-2020, 01:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Could be that this title is going to reside with this owner for the duration.
    I'm pretty sure that is the seller's intent, and although I would handle it a bit differently than flaunting it on eBay (which, tbh, is kind of douchey) I admit that I can't say I would do it *that much* differently. If I had, for example, a unique family heirloom passed down through several generations, that may have an approximate value of $500, however, I knew there were a niche market for such things, if I didn't really want to and had no intention to part with it, I'd consider putting it on the market for $100K, and if some sucker who worshipped these things wanted to drop that kind of cash for it, I sure as hell wouldnt stop them, and I'd cry about the personal loss all the way to the bank. LoL! Their irrational impulses and lack of self control is their problem to solve ... and it'll cost them in the meantime. So I kind of get what the dude is doing.
    Last edited by Garrett Holland; 02-13-2020 at 01:30 AM.
    Likes Barthax, RTM liked this post
  5. 02-13-2020, 01:33 AM
    Just to clarify, I'd consider it, but would likely not do it. I'm not into jerking people around.
    Likes RTM liked this post
  6. 02-13-2020, 05:31 AM
    If I had it, I'd definately play it and then I would definately create a track that required original hardware and sit on my never to be touched WR. lol.
    Undisputed #1 Game Wave Family Entertainment Player
    Likes Barthax, RTM, Garrett Holland liked this post
  7. 02-13-2020, 06:42 AM
    Can confirm that this game is real. From the info and research I've done in the past, it was made in '83/'84 by Tom Banting, Peter Banting, Maitland Banting and Herman Quast from Burlington, Ontario in Canada (just a few hours away from here). Because of production delays, the game was only released in '84 and it they only sold approx. 100 copies (using a door-to-door salesman!). I remember there was a few news stories out here about the game and developers a couple years back about it also.
  8. 02-13-2020, 06:52 AM
    Just came across on of the articles about it....this one is from July 2019....
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment...-791-1.4506350
  9. 02-13-2020, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Larocque View Post
    Can confirm that this game is real. From the info and research I've done in the past, it was made in '83/'84 by Tom Banting, Peter Banting, Maitland Banting and Herman Quast from Burlington, Ontario in Canada (just a few hours away from here). Because of production delays, the game was only released in '84 and it they only sold approx. 100 copies (using a door-to-door salesman!). I remember there was a few news stories out here about the game and developers a couple years back about it also.
    It's up there on the rarity scale with Red Sea Crossing and Birthday Mania (Which they would program your name into before sending it to you!)
    Undisputed #1 Game Wave Family Entertainment Player
Join us