reading book

1. reading book

03-04-2020, 03:45 AM
    What was your last reading book??
  2. 03-04-2020, 08:57 AM
    "Testament" by author David Morrell (the man who created the "Rambo" character with his novel "First Blood")

https://davidmorrell.net/books/testament/
  3. 03-04-2020, 09:22 AM
    "Spamming message boards" by U B A Spamclux
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Likes henryadams678, jesperoland liked this post
  4. 07-19-2020, 07:25 PM
    A course in miracles
    Thanks N/A thanked this post
  5. 08-09-2020, 03:57 AM
    "Hookt on Foniks" werks forr mee.
  6. 08-28-2020, 12:44 PM
    Hi, I'm new to the message boards. I just finished "Lost and Found" by Orson Scott Card. I liked it.
  7. 08-28-2020, 04:46 PM
    Just finished the original Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. It was a birthday gift last year and I never thought I would run through its 500 pages, but then quarantine came...
    Really good! Bigger and much more extensive than the movie

Name:  IMG_2520 (1).jpg
Views: 130
Size:  154.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  8. 09-30-2020, 07:50 AM
    Recently, I began to read books more often, especially science fiction, the imagination works much brighter and becomes more interesting than just watching a movie, you yourself wipe your own path and development
  9. 10-07-2020, 09:09 AM
    I've seen a lot of posts here by people who claim they've read a book in a day or two. For example, "I picked up The Great Gatsby and finished it in one sitting." To me, that's virtually impossible without missing a lot of the book's meaning. Personally speaking for myself I don't finish a book without making sure I understand the idea of every paragraph at least, usually on the sentence level.

So how do people read so quickly? Surely they don't comprehend what they read extremely well. Also, how would they find the mental stamina to get through the book? Reading classics takes a lot of brainpower for me. Processing paragraphs upon paragraphs of literary meaning is tough for the vast majority of books (or at least classics). As a result reading a 600-page novel from the 1800s for me could take months of time. Sometimes I also need a mental break and go a few days without reading anything. I've never read anything in one sitting except a short story. It's always taken at least a couple for anything over 50 pages. VidMate Mobdro

What do people think? Any "one sitting" readers here that can talk more about how they read?
    Last edited by malikben9; 10-08-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  10. 10-07-2020, 09:26 AM
    Yup!
    :)
    Quick reading comprehension doesn't make one "smarter" than another, it's a learned skill.
    I can absolutely blast through a fictional book in the manner you describe, when a comprehensive reader gets into "the zone", "mental pictures" actually take over the words being processed, to the point that you almost don't even see individual letters, just words "in a blur".
    When I am reading something technical or philosophical, I do tend to slow down and try to absorb more of what I am taking in, as the end result exceeds "entertainment".
    I'm currently working through the Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites.
    *Giggle*, I swear, I thought I was "smart", but every page of that book makes me feel a tad "less smart".
    :D
    "The chondrules of the nth exponential define the outlying structures of the crystaline ossification"
    (or whatever).
    Yeah, right...

But anyway-no, I've had to defend that before, sitting there turning through pages of a book, someone saying "you can't possibly be reading that, that fast", so I know where you are coming from, and see both sides of the situation as well.
    So they say
    Dance for me, dance for me, dance for me, oh, oh, oh
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us