reading book

1. 10-07-2020, 09:47 AM
    To use the Great Gatsby as an example...the audio book is under 5 hours long. That is someone reading at a controlled and pretty slow pace. But to that end, reading it in a day would take 5 hours tops. As far as levels of understanding, if I'm looking to read a book for enjoyment, then a book like The Great Gatsby is a 2-2.5 hour read. If I'm looking for graduate level discussion and analysis of it, then it's going to be a longer shot (probably multiple days).

One of my classes when getting my Master in Library Science was a class on Young Adult Literature...I had to read about 2000 pages a week every week for 14 weeks, plus still get assignments done. There were days were I routinely read 800-1000 pages in a day. Did I retain enough that I could dissect the books and tell you the 14 different meanings of the sun rising on the 4th day? No. Did I retain enough to explain the premise, plot, and major themes to a patron and determine if said book is a good fit for their interest/personality? Yes. Like Roger mentioned, what you want to get out of the reading is a big factor.

To make a comparison - I routinely "watch" movies while getting my auction finds listed online (I like the background and it tends to keep me a bit more focused on staying in the room at my seat). I also like to watch movies while doing nothing but watching the movie. Both instances of watching bring me enjoyment/pleasure and both serve there own purpose. One isn't better or worse because I get different things from them, and I'm going to choose certain movies for certain instances (I'm not going to watch a martial arts film with subtitles while trying to research items I'm selling).
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco, N/A liked this post
  2. 10-09-2020, 05:24 AM
    Hi everyone, I am looking into immersion in narrative related mediums. I was just wondering what makes you love to read. What makes you make some hot coco, sit by the window on a rainy day and dive into another world :) https://omegle.onl/ vshare
    Last edited by bearbles2; 10-10-2020 at 02:26 AM.
  3. 10-09-2020, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bearbles2 View Post
    What makes you make some hot coco, sit by the window on a rainy day and dive into another world :)
    ..LoL

Name:  daffyjack.gif
Views: 95
Size:  39.6 KB

Daffy just jacked all over your spammy post.

This thread was started as spam too.....

Hey derrrrr...This is a gaming site...I don't give a crap about your sillyass field guide....... @Rogerpoco :D lmaoooooooo

Carry onward.
    Likes Rogerpoco, Blackflag82, N/A, nads liked this post
  4. 10-09-2020, 06:40 AM
    ^ The contents of the entire above post ©Ragecorp 2020
    Last edited by Max; 10-09-2020 at 06:44 AM.
    Likes RaGe, Blackflag82 liked this post
  5. 10-26-2020, 04:30 PM
    Just finished the original trilogy of Mistborn and have just started The Alloy of Law.

The first three were as good as everyone who recommended them to me claimed, especially the first one. If you’re thinking about reading them, do it!
  6. 10-29-2020, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCold View Post
    The last I read was an incredibly spontaneous book for me. Not when I thought that I would read this. It was "who cares?" https://Imaspamywanker.fu wonderful work and very exotic. Recently, more and more I sit on the forums in search of books. But the easiest way to find it is to read the executive summary. So you can quickly figure out what you will find and what is not among the huge volume of books and various literature.
    Same guy posting with multiple new accounts drops "casual" spam that is not even related to gaming. Enough already. Reported. Time for this spamola thread to go buh bye.
    Likes MysteryMaster liked this post
  7. 11-12-2020, 01:21 AM
    Even my is a lover of Jurrasic world and seems she might like this. And More often I would like to find a method of cooking for my mom she asked me more than 10 times. So, if anyone has the widget of home appliances guide for things to be considered with the cooking and along with fashion tips for women please let us know the things so that my mom would be happier with that.
    Last edited by ginammobemmy; 11-21-2020 at 12:02 AM.
  8. 11-17-2020, 02:47 AM
    To be true, nowadays there is less time to read books. After long working days the best way to relax is to watch movies or TV-series. I can`t agree that reading books broadens our minds and improving our thinking skills. The last books that I had read were during the University time. Then it were very neccesary to pass the exams.
  9. 11-18-2020, 08:30 AM
    Haha, even don`t know what to advice you(( a word of mom is a law
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Join us