More Shenanigans with Respect to DK, Billy and Possibly Walter as Well...these from 1983 !!

1. More Shenanigans with Respect to DK, Billy and Possibly Walter as Well...these from 1983 !!

03-10-2020, 10:36 PM
    http://www.videoparadise-sanjose.com/tg-rules.htm

The following link last appeared within the TG forum amidst the dispute of the "Joust: marathon score by James Vollandt from the 1985 "Ironman" event.

However, it was pointed out to me by Dwayne earlier today that section 17...unrelated to the "Joust" debate...contains a KEY statement.

If you read the section on DK it states, and I quote, "During the first half of 1983, the top score was only able to inch from 874,000 to 886,000.

So...seeing that these rules were in effect for the "Ironman" event and seeing that Walter was present for that event as were both Billy and Chris (remember, Chris was playing "Ms Pacman" and setting the WR during the same time that Roy was playing MC according to multiple anecdotes already posted to the TG website relating to that event) then how the heck did Walter and Billy NOT see this blurb, and further...WHO set the 886K score which apparently never appeared within the TG website as it beat HRH's then-WR of 874K ?

Great catch by Dwayne...I missed it myself the first time I viewed these rules...I think I never went past section 4 which dealt with combining marathon scores which was the core of the "Joust" score challenge launched.

Thoughts ?
    Thanks Godfather, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Barra, Godfather, JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 03-10-2020, 11:26 PM
    it wouldnt shock me. there were many scores stripped sometimes with justifiction when they beat a ref, but other scores with the exact same situation if not beating a ref were allowed to stay. even entire tracks being wiped out. i dont have details on this particular score but theres certainly other tg examples where scores get removed and the only noticable pattern is who they beat.
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
  3. 03-11-2020, 12:06 AM
    oh, not sure if anyone wants to reach out to psp, it cant be me due to issues we've had. I cant be sure but i think he's still upset i beat his lode runner scores Anyway i seem to recall him pointing out something simliar about donkey kong junior. that there was a higher score than billy's that mysteriously went missin. its possible he may be able to help with this.
  4. 03-11-2020, 12:13 AM
    It's referenced here: https://www.twingalaxies.com/content...he-Perfect-Man

"Day got a call from a teenager named Billy Mitchell, who had read in Joystick magazine that someone had scored 1.4 million points in Donkey Kong. Mitchell told Day that he was sure the record was a fiction. “I said, ‘Bull-sugar,’” Mitchell recalls. “‘This guy is not telling you the truth.’” His reasoning was pure self-assured bravado: That couldn’t be the high score because he had only scored 886,900 at that point. “I thought, there’s no way there’s anybody as good as me, there’s just no way.”"

And from ChrisP on DKF: "I think that Billy had the 886K going into the Time Magazine event where he set the "iconic" 873K score. It's just that the 886K wasn't official."
    http://donkeykongforum.com/index.php...22637#msg22637
    Thanks RTM, Mitch Mitchell, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes nads, JJT_Defender liked this post
  5. 03-11-2020, 12:20 AM
    If the 886K score was indeed Billy's then why was it never formally recognized ?

One possibility is that the older score meant that Billy was in possession of the TG WR for an even lengthier period of time...2 years instead of not even one.

Curious how this score seems to have been forgotten over time. Most curious.
    Likes Barra, Mitch Mitchell liked this post
  6. 03-11-2020, 12:26 AM
    I read that old interview of Billy just now...that passage ended with his "interrogation" of a player claiming 1.4M and Billy then said "...The legend was born from there. I was considered a hired gun who chopped up people’s scores.”

What a pompous ass to start referring to himself as a "legend" even way back then.

Equally amusing is how within the same rules for the DK title that it is mentioned how Billy discovered the DK vine trick, one of the multiple unproven claims that Billy had made over the years. I guess it's not enough for Billy to have a record, he had to be the famous first on all of those "discoveries" as well. Consummate liar dating back now 28 years.
    Last edited by RTM; 03-11-2020 at 12:26 AM. Reason: typo
  7. 03-11-2020, 12:26 AM
    It's possible this was his high score done at home before he "so-called debuted on the scene" at the time magazine event.

Still doesn't explain the "During the first half of 1983, the top score was only able to inch from 874,000 to 886,000."
  8. 05-24-2020, 06:03 PM
    Not buying Vollandt's Black Widow record score, either. Not starting at Wave 21 anyway.
  9. 05-28-2020, 02:42 PM
    the missing scores here are of very reminiscent of the other discussion of steves pretty much unknown 885,900. i cant help but to notice 886,00 is just 885,900 rounded up. i wonder if walter talking about the 80s actually had his years wrong, and if both these questions answer each other. perhaps the mystery 886,000 score from 1983 was actually the 885,900 and walter was just confusing different events.
  10. 06-03-2020, 05:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    oh, not sure if anyone wants to reach out to psp, it cant be me due to issues we've had. I cant be sure but i think he's still upset i beat his lode runner scores Anyway i seem to recall him pointing out something simliar about donkey kong junior. that there was a higher score than billy's that mysteriously went missin. its possible he may be able to help with this.
    I'm adding a personal comment here, Scott never cared about any of his scores getting beat. A lot of the scores he submitted were done for that very reason. He submitted scores in the hopes of encouraging people to take his scores down, to get people submitting scores.

I say that's personal, because it's from me. Not Scott.

Having said that on my own, I will be posting an official post from Scott shortly. This thread was brought to his attention, he is unable to login to the site for 2 reasons. Forgotten password, and no longer accessible e-mail used with the account years ago prevents a password reset. New account creation to respond might look suspicious or be questioned etc. So he reached out to me to post on his behalf. That post will be shared shortly, he's typing out what he would like shared, right now...
    Buy the Ticket... Take the Ride...

Thanks Intellivision Master thanked this post
    Likes The Evener, datagod liked this post
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us