More Shenanigans with Respect to DK, Billy and Possibly Walter as Well...these from 1983 !!

1. 06-11-2020, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinter461 View Post
    That information all got trashed. Literally thrown in the trashcan, and discarded.
    first, thanks for your eye witness testimony. In your frustration with us who werent there, please try to take into account others who were there give contradictory stories so we cant just automatically believe everyone there when not everyone agrees. Now that means all the more so your testimony is imporant. Because the more witnesses from the time period the better an idea we have of what to believe

I'm really curious about the throwing out. was it lost or purposely thrown out? i'd be curious to hear more on that?

i should end my comment there since you are a needed historical resource. but i cant help but to want in engage in the dicussion of splitting the old database from the new. I actually do agree with you on that. But for different reasons. Correct me if i'm wrong, but dont you want blily's scores for exapmle gone? so it seems theres some agreement on disputing some scores. heck your own disagreement with "walters smoke and mirros" whos you disagree with at least some of the recorded past so i'm surprised you're not more on board with people trying to correct that record. and didnt earlier tg itself also at points remove older records? i know thats a little apples to oranges and jace's iteration is signficantly different and seperated by some time, but even still, if tg had a challenge system more it makes sense it has one now.

if anything in the last paragraph is offensive by all means ignore, i'm just bringing that up the way i'd bring it up to any member. please dont ignore the question on the database being thrown out if it was accident or purpose, information like that really needs you. the above paragraph i can discuss/argue with anyone, but the history i'd really like more details from you on
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 06-11-2020, 08:38 PM
    Mark Hoff told me in person that Walter would record scores in a book, and HE would then transcribe the data into the computer. I believe he said they used a sort of digital rolodex at the time.

So I am not really sure what your point is Tim.
    Your friend, datagod
    Creator of Arcade Retro Clock

Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
  3. 06-11-2020, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by datagod View Post
    Mark Hoff told me in person that Walter would record scores in a book, and HE would then transcribe the data into the computer. I believe he said they used a sort of digital rolodex at the time.

So I am not really sure what your point is Tim.
    During one singular event.

This wasn’t ongoing. This was done for show at the event. The event the picture was taken at. One time. There was never a computer at TG other than that one time.

Now I’m not saying Mark couldn’t have done this on his own, at home. But there was no computer on the premises. The scoreboard was a spiral notebook.

Steve Harris has possession of it the last time I saw it. At Twin Galaxies in Fairfield IA.

I was in every version of Twin Galaxies that existed. Not a single location had a computer on site on any type of even semi regular time.

Kirksville MO
    Ottumwa IA - 2 different locations.
    Oskaloosa IA - I was an employee.
    Fairfield IA

I’m telling you. I was there.
    Buy the Ticket... Take the Ride...

4. 06-11-2020, 09:04 PM
    Mark Hoff entered the scores on the Tandy. With a wall of TVs behind the scoreboard plexi glass during the Thats Incredible tournament.
    The That's Incredible tournament aired in January 1983. The issue with the article I referred to is dated July 1983. If you read the article, it mentions there were 3 Tandy computers at TG back then. Prior to that, Day sent the info to a computer house for a printout. As for what program(s) might have been used to store high score information, I don't know (I bet either Mark or Lyle would), but most home computers around that time had programs other than games. Look for yourself - here's a site with various Radio Shack catalogs:
    http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/computer.html
    Even if they didn't have a program, from the Video Games article, it sure sounds like Bob Bradfield could have easily wrote one himself to do the job.

No, I wasn't at TG back then. I never claimed I was. I'm simply mentioning what I feel is relevant information - information that was published in a national magazine. Did you even bother checking out the 2nd site I linked to in my last reply? It shows a computer printout of TG's scoreboard dated May 1983. Or maybe you think that's simply some elaborate hoax (fake news)? As far as telling 'the same old tired stories', "1500points" posted on KLOV 2 years ago, confirming he's one of the guys shown using the TG computer in that article:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/sho...ht=twin&page=8

To clarify this thing about the crew, I worked on the TGIS from 82-84, I was 14ish when that started, and I've clarified and repeatedly apologized for my ignorance at that goofy weird fun time.

This is my nerdy ***** referenced here, the same geek you see typing on the Color Computer in Chasing Ghosts and the same dumb@$$ you see making jokes in MvS..... And I'm telling you clearly, that integrity and accuracy wasn't anywhere on the list of priorities with TGIS from 82-84 at least. I was thankfully gone from TG by 84 to 2k era. In fact you can YT search Dwayne's silly documentary to hear me explain why I left TG arcade....Dwayne thinks he is such a funny guy, but facts I guess can be uncomfortable.
    Thanks datagod, grinder2112, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes datagod, JJT_Defender liked this post
  5. 06-12-2020, 06:29 AM
    During one singular event.

Now I’m not saying Mark couldn’t have done this on his own, at home. But there was no computer on the premises. The scoreboard was a spiral notebook.
    I’m telling you. I was there.
    Sure, never said there was a computer on the premises.

I am certain that Mark had the computer at his house, I am certain that is what he told me. Doesn't really matter. The scores were written down in the book as you say. I am not even sure what the debate is at this poing.
    Scores were recorded in a book and then (probably) recorded in a computer.
    Your friend, datagod
    Creator of Arcade Retro Clock

6. 06-12-2020, 06:34 AM
    we do know the database was lost. on paper that's easier to see. on computer, its a shame there was no backup but such things arent unheard of.

i doubt @1500points will want to get invovled if its too argumentative but he has been quite willing to share history before if asked. he's shown a willingness to both acknowledge the charades of the past while at the same time still liking the people and not taking it personal.
    Thanks Scott S., datagod, JJT_Defender thanked this post
  7. 06-12-2020, 08:41 AM
    Another quote from "1500points" over at KLOV regarding the computer at TG:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/sho...walter&page=18

I am simply telling you a fact that in 82-84 there was gathering of people and scores and arcade spots in that little index card program on a tandy model iii in the back room of the arcade. There was no such thing as proper clerical validation of anything. Integrity wasn’t the main goal. Getting media attention was.
    Thanks datagod, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes datagod, JJT_Defender liked this post
  8. 06-14-2020, 05:36 AM
    I have no information, speculation or comment on how the scoreboard was (or was not) digitized back in the day, but can answer this question in the abstract:

What database program do you propose a Tandy TRS-80 would run to track scores in a database and allow updated entries in 1982?

Color File was available for the TRS-80 CoCo in 1982. The program loaded from a cartridge, and relied upon a cassette tape to store the "database" schema and data. I say database loosely, as it's a card file and not a relational database, which would explain why 5 slots are displayed for each game, even when there are fewer scores.

http://www.videoparadise-sanjose.com/tg-top5.htm

https://colorcomputerarchive.com/rep...%20(Tandy).pdf

I think I may have used it 1000 years ago, and it was freaking awful.

Edited to add:

I'm fully into a tangent now, so my apologies, but the comment about a TRS-80 Model III reminded me of the unfortunately named database program, AIDS-III. With true disk access, that software was quite usable, but could not survive the incidental association with a deadly virus.

http://www.trs-80.org/aids-iii/
    Last edited by grinder2112; 06-14-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    Thanks JJT_Defender, Scott S. thanked this post
    Likes datagod, JJT_Defender, Snowflake liked this post
  9. 06-14-2020, 06:22 AM
    Color File is listed in Radio Shack's 1982 computer catalog (pg. 42).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes grinder2112, JJT_Defender liked this post
  10. 06-14-2020, 06:25 AM
    also, if the point of the rhetorical question on what database was used, is to make the point a computer couldnt be used and only a notebook would work, well, at that point even a text file can do everything a notebook can do and more. and though i'm not familiar with that computer, i'm willing to guess it was capable of text files
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Join us