More Shenanigans with Respect to DK, Billy and Possibly Walter as Well...these from 1983 !!

1. 08-01-2020, 02:18 PM
    I'm thankful to see this. I've tried to note Batson for years. People tried to paint it as rumor or fiction or non-existant sour grapes and yet you found the same stuff with some pretty simple research.

Combine the vanished Batson score with the multiple missing Donkey Kong Junior scores and one has to ask: Did Mitchell ever really "hold the Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior records for 20+ years" as they claim... or did he use his influence to cook the books?

All I've ever asked for was at the very least a valid explanation as to the vanishing of once-recognized TG records that are well within the realm of possibility. Nobody can even say *why* said scores disappeared. Even bringing it up seems to get the Billy Brigade all grumpy.
    Patrick Scott Patterson

Twitter - @OriginalPSP
    WeGotOne.com
    Likes The Evener, sprinter461, Barthax liked this post
  2. 11-02-2020, 02:29 PM
    I think it’s fair to assume that Frampton was a diligent DK Jr player who like many of us back in the day was determinedly aiming to improve his score. In reviewing the TGIS documentation, it appears that there’s a small possibility that Frampton’s game was set to 5 players to start. Back in the early 80s, TG intermingled submissions with different starting lives or difficulty in the same track (if the player was diligent in noting this info in their submission). I don’t know if 5 live start plus bonus could lead to 1.2 million with fairly aggressive point accumulation while having everything breaking your way (eg. dying deep into a screen rather than at the outset)
  3. 11-20-2020, 11:57 AM
    When it comes to missing DK Junior scores, though.... Frampton was not the only one that beat Mitchell's just to wind up vanishing.

There were at least two more TG-verified and published in 1983 scores that were higher than BMs but lower than Framptons.

So even if something truly was amiss with Frampton's settings, there were at least two others, one just a few thousand points higher, that just disappeared without explanation twice... both in 1984 and again in 2004.
    Patrick Scott Patterson

Twitter - @OriginalPSP
    WeGotOne.com
    Thanks francoisadt, The Evener thanked this post
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  4. 11-20-2020, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalPSP View Post
    When it comes to missing DK Junior scores, though.... Frampton was not the only one that beat Mitchell's just to wind up vanishing.

There were at least two more TG-verified and published in 1983 scores that were higher than BMs but lower than Framptons.

So even if something truly was amiss with Frampton's settings, there were at least two others, one just a few thousand points higher, that just disappeared without explanation twice... both in 1984 and again in 2004.
    Thanks for the follow up, OriginalPSP - I threw that possibility out there since I was curious if extra lives might permit a score in the 1.2 million in the minds of some skeptics as I'm not a top flight DK Jr player and can't immediately say myself one way or the other.

But yes, you're right that the larger point (and what makes this case unique) is that it just wasn't one player's score that fell away from the scoreboard when TG re-emerged in 1997, but four (!) other DK Jr scores that bested Mitchell's DK Jr score of 957,300. As a result, Mitchell's score fell out of the top 5 as soon as February 1984 (first image) and thus didn't appear in print with the TGIS newsletter. But in 1997 with the release of the TG Official Video Game & Pinball Book of World Records, Mitchell is back on top with 957,300 (second image).

Name:  TGISFeb2004DKJr.png
Views: 90
Size:  229.2 KB

Name:  TGBookDKJr1997.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  21.9 KB
    Thanks Barthax thanked this post
    Likes SomeRandomNerd liked this post
  5. 11-20-2020, 10:16 PM
    My brother and I found we also have a digital backup of Steve Wiebe doing 1,014,100 on DK Junior back in either 2001 or early 2002. Not sure on the date, but I will check as I'm uploading it. I do know we have a time stamp of when we archived it in summer of 2002, so he had to have done it before then.
    Likes Barra, Barthax, The Evener liked this post
  6. 11-21-2020, 05:46 AM
    Great stuff on the print out, yes.

More over:

- Multiple people (as you've also shown) beat Mitchell's DK Junior record, as reported BY Walter's Twin Galaxies

- However, it was Mitchell's score that appeared in several of the 1980s Guinness Books, despite NOT being done at the tournaments that were supposed to make up the Guinness lists

- Then when the database was rebuilt in the 20th Century, the scores higher than Mitchell's vanished without explanation.

- I couldn't find any of the scores below Mitchell's vanishing, however. But some might.

- Mitchell was credited in the King of Kong as "holding the DK Junior record for 20-something years". Similar claims have been made by him and his team in writing over the years, too.

- Every single score that vanished has been proven as well within the realm of possibility.

So while DK Junior isn't as sexy of a controversy as Pac-Man or Donkey Kong... I've always thought it was the most blatant. I've asked off and on for an explanation as to the vanishing Junior scores for 11 years now and the closest I ever came was Walter claiming to me that "we must not have found where those scores were published". And that doesn't line up, as several were published in magazines Walter confirms scores were pulled from to rebuild the database.

- The only logical conclusion to draw is that Mitchell used his influence within TG - especially in 1984 and 2004 - to just... ignore those scores. Multiple scores allll higher than his.

This is also why I believe there's potential merit to the Terry Batson DK score story.
    Patrick Scott Patterson

Twitter - @OriginalPSP
    WeGotOne.com
  7. 11-21-2020, 05:49 AM
    TG also printed 999,200 by Tim Williams on 8/11/83

That would make Mitchell's score AT LEAST 7th place by February 1984.

So how and why did SIX accepted world records just... vanish?
    Patrick Scott Patterson

Twitter - @OriginalPSP
    WeGotOne.com
    Thanks SomeRandomNerd thanked this post
    Likes The Evener, Barthax, SomeRandomNerd liked this post
  8. 11-21-2020, 05:52 AM
    To what Walter said - that’s surprising and disconcerting because he was given a copy of the Feb 1984 TGIS, which I cited above for the DK Jr scores. We know this because Walter states that he was given a copy on his “Missing Scores” column on the 1999 version of the TG website.
    Likes Luigi Ruffolo, Barthax liked this post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
Join us