Atari 2600 / VCS - Kangaroo - NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B - 432,600 - Ulisses Lima

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari 2600 / VCS - Kangaroo - NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B - 432,600 - Ulisses Lima

04-02-2020, 06:42 PM
    vzaar-player

NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=3788
    Rank

Rules
    Default Settings
    Submission Message
    I played Kangaroo and scored 432.600 in 1h50 on a Light Sixer Atari with a Dablio MultCart Cartridge, original rom without alterations and a Sega Genesis joystick.

2. 04-02-2020, 07:16 PM
    ABSTAINING. There have been debates over the usage of manufactured multicarts, which are not the same as Harmony Carts, which merely act as a user-controlled temporary storage device for ROMs. A manufactured multicart would necessarily require everyone to trust that the manufacturer installed the appropriate original, authentic ROM without modification. A ROM on a Harmony Cart can easily be tested for authenticity via MD5 analysis. The same cannot be said for manufactured, pre-loaded multicarts, especially from manufacturers like Dablio whose loose affiliation with IP-stealing DynaCom with a reputation for modifying ROMs, changing the game name, and selling them as "originals", which are nothing more than hacks, which at the time was illegal. Sorry. Great score, but I'm going to take a hard pass on putting any sort of approval on multicart manufactured by individuals with shady pasts.
    Thanks nads thanked this post
    Likes GregDeg, nads liked this post
  3. 04-02-2020, 07:37 PM
    Se você conhece o jogo verá que o mesmo é a rom original sem qualquer alteração.
    Obrigado.

If you know the game you will see that it is the original rom without any changes.
    Thanks.
  4. 04-02-2020, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses Patriota View Post
    If you know the game you will see that it is the original rom without any changes.
    Thanks.
    How do you know this? Have you communicated with the manufacturer, who again, is loosely affiliated with IP-stealing DynaCom, and confirmed that they installed the original ROM without any changes? Because if so, that would be inconsistent with Dablio's and/or DynaCom's long, sordid history. I can guarantee you there are at least 20 separate, easily identifiable hacks contained on that cart that were the product of illegal IP theft at the time of release. I'm not sure why I should trust the rest of what's on it. DynaCom was absolutely notorious for hacking ROMs. Heck, on Dablio's own website, he currently and *prominently* advertises some Activision rip-offs, specifically, a H.E.R.O./Berzerk multicart of some sort, among other questionable items. Thanks, but no thanks. Like I said, I'm abstaining and not necessarily voting no at this time, but I certainly won't ever be voting yes on it.

For the record, I can change just ONE BYTE on Atari 2600 Berzerk that would eliminate the hard-coded, forced Attract Mode function that inhibits any score far beyond 1,000,000, then play it, get 2 million (if I wanted to spend the 20 hours to do it) DESTROYING the world record, and there isn't a soul on this planet who even if they utilized the most sophisticated video game forensics tools and techniques in existence that would ever be able to tell just from looking at the game play. Getting around showing the original cart would be child's play ... but I would never reveal the method on a public forum, lest some idiot actual get some foolish idea to try to do it.

I reiterate, it's a great score, and you're very skilled at the game, so this is nothing personal against you, and this isn't just me challenging your abilities. This is a fundamental issue of mine having a hard time supporting anything related to bad actors, and that includes multicarts manufactured by them

Here's my recommendation: Go to ebay and spend the measly R$25 (USD$5.00) and get yourself one of the thousands of legit Polyvox Kangaroo cartridge still in Brazilian circulation, and then play again. I'm sure if and when you do, you'll score even higher ... *or* ... you can simply disregard my recommendation. Either way works for me. Multicarts are great to own if you want to play games casually ... but not so great if seeking recognition for a high-score performance is your desire. That's what original hardware is for.
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  5. 04-02-2020, 08:23 PM
    ... Lastly ... I'll make a deal with ya ... I'll vote yes if you can do the following two things:

1. Post a comment giving us the MD5 code of the Kangaroo ROM on *your* specific 480-in-1 multicart.
    2. Explain how you were able to get the code without first using ROM dumping equipment, which is about 100x as expensive as buying a Polyvox Kangaroo cart on eBay.

Best regards!
    Thanks Ulisses Patriota thanked this post
    Likes Ulisses Patriota liked this post
  6. 04-02-2020, 08:39 PM
    there are no glaring differences in gameplay
    and i dont like we just trust flash carts since though the user can be sure the rom is correct, we cant be sure the user actually made sure to get a good rom, yet with these mulits we have a much better chance of being completley sure if the rom is good or bad by checking another copy

However, all that said, TG does typically reject these since time after time issues have been found in the roms. In a vacuum it seems unfair and illogical, but when these multicarts build a reputation for having issues they eventually get a "guilty until proven innocent" requirement.

i'm not gonna reject something when i see no proof of any problems, i'm just abstaining. The only reason i'm commenting at all is that I hope to explain why such things tend to get rejected.
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
    Thanks Garrett Holland, Ulisses Patriota thanked this post
  7. 04-02-2020, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    we cant be sure the user actually made sure to get a good rom
    There is a way. Have the user provide the MD5 code of the ROM on the flash cart. (for Atari 2600 ROMs, at least).
  8. 04-05-2020, 06:23 AM
    Hi, Garrett, How are you? Hope you're fine, and stay well at home!

I'm following this post, and I'm shocked about this issues about Multicart. I never tought, never saw this question from this angle, but I understand.

Thinking about Ulisses, one of most incredible player I've seen here, he's using a 480 in 1 Multicart by Dáblio.

If he uses a Multicart SD, an UnoCart version manufactured here by Dáblio, It could help to clarify doubts about the rom, and so he could have its score backed by the community?
  9. 04-05-2020, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreSantosMG View Post
    Hi, Garrett, How are you? Hope you're fine, and stay well at home!

I'm following this post, and I'm shocked about this issues about Multicart. I never tought, never saw this question from this angle, but I understand.

Thinking about Ulisses, one of most incredible player I've seen here, he's using a 480 in 1 Multicart by Dáblio.

If he uses a Multicart SD, an UnoCart version manufactured here by Dáblio, It could help to clarify doubts about the rom, and so he could have its score backed by the community?
    Absolutely! That way, if any anomalies are observed, the community can ask him to post the ROM's MD5 code, something that simply can't be done from a manufactured XXX-in-1 cart. SD storage carts are generally acceptable, and only a small handful of the community have any issue with them. I myself have submitted a few scores played on one.
    Thanks AndreSantosMG, Ulisses Patriota thanked this post
    Likes AndreSantosMG liked this post
  10. 04-05-2020, 11:51 AM
    Hi guys!

Ulisses, welcome to Twingalaxies!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    That way, if any anomalies are observed, the community can ask him to post the ROM's MD5 code
    I yet need to watch the complete video of Ulisses.
    I'd like to know if any anomaly was observed in his gameplay, because the code was asked, and I can't find nothing different than the oficial game, so far.
    TRB_MetroidTeam
    Metroid Team, from Brazil
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Join us