Super Mario Brothers on "Pawn Stars"

  1. 08-04-2020, 09:53 PM
    I remember when Pawn Stars did a fake segment with Pat Contri over his Nintendo WC cart. Pat had ZERO intention of selling the cart, but it made for a good 'bit' on the show with historical background. I just don't like the fact that people have to pretend and lie about actually wanting to sell their most prized possession.
  2. 08-04-2020, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FBX View Post
    I remember when Pawn Stars did a fake segment with Pat Contri over his Nintendo WC cart. Pat had ZERO intention of selling the cart, but it made for a good 'bit' on the show with historical background. I just don't like the fact that people have to pretend and lie about actually wanting to sell their most prized possession.
    i saw that one, i didnt know who pat was then, but i sure knew the carts. and yeah it was crystal clear he had zero intention to sell, just wanted to be on the show. it never occured to me the show might be in on it, i just figured it was all hiim pretending to want to sell to get on the show.

    you know our very own @Marcade (whos found himself banned again so we'll have to wait for a reply) was also on the show, so its not all fake.
    Lode Runner Champion
  3. 08-05-2020, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FBX View Post
    I remember when Pawn Stars did a fake segment with Pat Contri over his Nintendo WC cart. Pat had ZERO intention of selling the cart, but it made for a good 'bit' on the show with historical background. I just don't like the fact that people have to pretend and lie about actually wanting to sell their most prized possession.
    That sometimes happens with reality TV. Just for the experience to GET on TV. For the record, they cast you. You just dont walk in the door and expect them to start filming. It is actually all very professional. However, I can assure you from my personal experience on the show, the negotiation is real, ZERO rehearsal, and the rest is simply chat and improv.

    After the 2nd and 3rd takes, whether or not a deal is made, the "reality TV side of it kicks in" as the seller of course would NOT be allowed re-negotiate their item. The first take is the official verdict.

    Here was my segment...Filmed last September, aired just this past March.

    https://streamable.com/10w8mw
    Last edited by Marcade; 08-05-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  4. 08-06-2020, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FBX View Post
    If that were actually the case with Pat, that makes him even MORE of a douchebag, because he would have tricked the show into entertaining a negotiation he had ZERO intention of going through with.


    Here's Pat's segment:

    And at mark 27 seconds, he is lying his ass off about wanting to sell them. He still has them to this day. In fact, there's thousands of people that agree on the video that Pat lied to get free advertisement and recognition of his Youtube persona.
    ..........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  5. 08-06-2020, 09:49 AM
    i'm not sure he "tricked" the show, the show may well have known and wanted it

    I used to watch the show a bit, but boycotted it after since they had that cohen fellow on it. My point of view was, its the items themselves that are cool. theres neat little collectable history. the made up scripted stuff is mildly entertaining, and the history is educational and entertaining. theres still plenty to get from the show. but sure, if you're looking for a documentary on how pawnshops work, this probbaly isnt the show for you.

    i also like that rick regularly brings up a point i myself always brought up and i think most collectors have figured out, as rick says "stuff thats meant to be collectable never is" or as i say "the rare stuff is rare cause it sucks". all the cool collectables are largely cool and collectable cause they're no longer made, but they're no longer made usually for a good reason. to be fair, sometimes it doesnt suck, so much as it was underrated, so it sucked as business decision, but is still cool. i for example love q*bert's qubes, but i can see why it was an awful business decision. man i love my qubes arcade cab, now if you'll excuse me i'm gonna go downstairs and just admire it
    Lode Runner Champion
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  6. 08-06-2020, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

    I used to watch the show a bit, but boycotted it after since they had that cohen fellow on it.
    Sounds like JEALOUSY to me?
    Last edited by Marcade; 08-06-2020 at 09:57 AM.
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  7. 08-06-2020, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcade View Post
    Sounds like JEALOUSY to me?
    semantics, yes. "jealous" as in protecting whats rightfully mine, but not "envious" (the way people often use the word jealous) as in wanting whats yours and bitter i dont have it

    my wife is always threatening to sell my magic card collection. and here you waltz in and sell your baseball card collectables. You stole the idea from muh wife.

    I'm not "jealous" so much as I am simply stating an opinion
    Lode Runner Champion
    Likes Marcade, Garrett Holland liked this post
  8. 08-20-2020, 12:28 PM
    I haven't watch it yet, tnx for review
  9. 08-30-2020, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by omega175 View Post
    If you need to scratch your pawn store itch, try Craigslist Hunter on YouTube:

    He owns a real pawn store. No Hollywood crews and plot twists here, just daily grind of a man trying to make his small business succeed. You can also learn something, if you are interested in selling stuff online. He's been around for quite a while, so there are plenty of videos to watch. On top of that there is a cat and a parrot. How can you say no to that ;).
    I'm sure he could use some of that exposure, as all the spotlight steal videos from Pawn Stars and similar.
    Thank you for the detailed review, it helped me a lot!
  10. Today, 07:54 AM
    Just saw the episode where someone tried to sell a "sticker-sealed" cartridge of "Super Mario Brothers" for the NES system for an eye-popping one million dollars.

    No sale, not even an offer, happened. But that asking price...outrageous. Within the episode, a sniplet of which can be seen in the link below, the "grading service" itself said that the cartridge owner had turned down offers of $300K. If he did so then the man is just insane.

    Basically what he has is a near-mint-in-box item, and the grading service admitted that perhaps 10,000 units like this were released of which this graded thus far the best.

    I am VERY familiar with grading services as I have been an active PSA member, submitter and seller for 15 years now, and to a lesser extent with both SGC and Beckett. Any reputable grading service would never give a dollar value...all they could do is report prior actual sales otherwise their personal valuation would be definitively biased.

    I can understand the valuation of special carts such as the NES competition carts (2 diffent types) and rarer releases in pristine condition...but this title is certainly not pristine, nor is it rare...even in that condition. It's "population" in the grading service is merely based on how many people submitted one for grading. To that end, PSA, SGC, Beckett and other grading services each have their own populations of certain high-profile sports cards, so a "low population" from one service is not indicative of the true population in that grade, just as how the TG scoreboard does not nor has ever truly reflected all the best scores accomplished on any given title...only those submitted to and verified by TG.

    The owner can keep asking for his million dollars...he'll likely meet his maker before he completes a sale at that price !!
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Join us