Pooyan forum differences and TG submissions

1. Pooyan version differences and TG submissions

05-11-2020, 08:47 AM
    I am currently in the process of ordering a Pooyan konami pcb, and am unsure whether I would be able to submit any attempts to TG.

The arcade scoreboard specifies that the stern version is required, but the MAME scoreboard contains submission from the konami version.

I have read there are demo differences between these versions but am unsure if their exists game play differences. Which brings me to the concern of whether the konami board I will order can be used to submit to the current arcade scoreboard? Or would I need to request and fund a new track for the knomai version through submission points?

Would be great to hear from Pooyan experts the differences between these version. If it turns out I cannot submit I will still play the game for high scores, however, would be nice to have a leaderboard I can participate in.
    Last edited by Itsmrpitchy; 05-11-2020 at 10:25 AM.
  2. 05-11-2020, 10:47 AM
    Not sure who messed with the original MAME entry in the TG database but originally just the "canonical ROMset", as the original Arcade/MAME editor/referee called it, was to be used in conjunction with submissions for this title
  3. 05-11-2020, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Not sure who messed with the original MAME entry in the TG database but originally just the "canonical ROMset", as the original Arcade/MAME editor/referee called it, was to be used in conjunction with submissions for this title
    Apologies if I am misunderstanding but this would mean both the pooyan (konami) set and pooyans (stern) set can potentially be used for submission to mame and possibly arcade leaderboards?

I know similar combinations of different sets in leaderboards occur. Such as namco/midway sets not being separated in the galaxian leaderboard for the arcade section at the very least.

This might turn out okay for me either way, appears the seller has a stern board of pooyan. Still an interesting situation, especially if the different versions effect the gameplay in anyway.
  4. 05-11-2020, 04:38 PM
    If you check certain other titles..."The End", "Scramble"...there are both Konami and Stern variations established.

"Super Cobra" had just Stern established as almost no one plays the "Konami".

It should be noted that there are major variances for the above...

"The End" - I am not 100% sure but I think that the Stern version has your ship on top of the shields while Konami is the reverse. It is debatable which version is easier as having your ship over vs under the shield has both advantages and disadvantages

"Scramble" - Konami is the easier of the two as the fuel consumption is slower. Stern has faster fuel consumption to the point where you can actually lose a ship at certain points in the third loop and beyond if you miss a fuel tank, plus the meteors (section 3) and the rockets launching (section 4) are much harder than in the Konami version

"Super Cobra" - "Konami" is substantially easier because the majority of the "city" stage each loop is completely missing which is among the toughest challenges of the game, plus the game is truncated in at least one other stage to a lesser extent. However, the loss of these areas results in an approx 15-20% point loss per loop as these are high-point sections of the game. The trade off if additional longevity so long as you exercise care.

I'll send a note to Robert MaCauley if he is aware of any noteworthy differences in "Pooyan" between Konami and Stern. He is a top player and may already know the answer.
  5. 05-11-2020, 05:44 PM
    There's definitely differences between the Stern and Konami versions of Pooyan. It's been a long time (2014 from memory) since I've played the Stern version but the things I can remember are:

When the wolves reach the bottom on the odd numbered rounds on the Konami version they always fill the ladder behind Mama Pig from the bottom up. On the Stern version the wolves can appear in any position on the ladder. Also when the wolves come down in groups some of the groupings are a bit different. I'm assuming the same thing applies to the even numbered rounds with groups of wolves floating up but it's been a while. If I get a chance I'll play the Stern version on MAME in the next few days and see what else I can find out.

Stern always increased the difficulty on any Konami games they licenced and Pooyan is no exception.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Thanks RTM thanked this post
  6. 05-12-2020, 05:43 AM
    Thank you both for your help :)

I believe from looking at the scoreboards there has become a non necessary separation between the mame and arcade scoreboards. I have read that the stern version was distributed in the USA, leading me to guess that most arcade submissions including the world record were done on the stern version. While most versions I look at on the mame scoreboard are done on the pooyan konami rom version.

I do wonder if it is worth separating these rom sets though. On MARP Paolo Colman has roughly a 600k difference in his PB between Konami and Stern, with the konami version being around 1.7 mill and the stern version being 1.1 mill. Of course this could just be wishful thinking. I see no way of establishing which version older scores were submitted on. And I am only making a guess that top arcade scores were set on the USA distributed stern board.
  7. 05-17-2020, 12:31 AM
    Hi

Pooyan (MAME rom is the original) Konami version
    Stern version, the more difficult version.

I believe both the Arcade score of 1.6 million by "Mark Kinter" and the MAME score of 1.7 million
    by Paolo Colman were done on the Konami version. In the video of MAME gameplay you will the
    Konami version behaviour.

I have played this game in the 1980s and did got a million on the Konami version.
    From my experience on the Stern version it is like an "impossibility" to get a million or more
    on the Stern version due to the Wolfs get so fast you not able to pass another level.
    I notice Polo did a 1.1 million on Stern which is way lower than his 1.7 million on Konami.
    Therefore comparable scores on arcade of 1.6 million could confirm similar version was played for the
    1.6 million Arcade score.

@RTM: Your view on this? The original PCB would be the Konami version and not the Stern version.

Added edit note afterwards: I notice the Arcade track heading state : Pooyan [Stern]

I find this difficult to believe that it was checked at time of these submissions a 1.6 million score on Stern version
    and if the Stern version was tracked and not the original Konami version.

Last edited by francoisadt; 05-17-2020 at 07:01 AM.
  8. 05-17-2020, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsmrpitchy View Post
    Thank you both for your help :)

And I am only making a guess that top arcade scores were set on the USA distributed stern board.
    From my experience a score of 1.6 or higher would be on Konami version and not Stern version.
    If one do play on a PCB where the Wolfs are coming in random positions up in the ladder on odd number boards and also
    the groupings are tighter which makes it harder to break through the balloons to shoot the Wolfs down. Those things
    by itself are a HUGE difference in difficulty.

Another thought: Quite a few games both the standard Konami PCB and the Stern version were released in the USA not only Konami. Example: Amida (Konami) and Amidar (Stern) both were available in the USA. So it cannot be automatically assumed other games were not distributed in similar fashion by having the Stern version in USA only.

Added edit note afterwards: I notice the Arcade track heading state : Pooyan [Stern]

I find this difficult to believe that it was checked at time of these submissions a 1.6 million score on Stern version
    and if the Stern version was tracked and not the original Konami version.
    Last edited by francoisadt; 05-17-2020 at 07:01 AM.
  9. 05-17-2020, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RMacauley View Post
    There's definitely differences between the Stern and Konami versions of Pooyan. It's been a long time (2014 from memory) since I've played the Stern version but the things I can remember are:

When the wolves reach the bottom on the odd numbered rounds on the Konami version they always fill the ladder behind Mama Pig from the bottom up. On the Stern version the wolves can appear in any position on the ladder. Also when the wolves come down in groups some of the groupings are a bit different. I'm assuming the same thing applies to the even numbered rounds with groups of wolves floating up but it's been a while. If I get a chance I'll play the Stern version on MAME in the next few days and see what else I can find out.

Stern always increased the difficulty on any Konami games they licenced and Pooyan is no exception.
    Would be interesting what your experience are between the two PCBs, given I do not have access to neither two cabinets/PCBs anymore - arcade centre has closed.
    streaming mspacman normal and turbo speed at: https://www.twitch.tv/francoisadt

Francois du Toit
  10. 05-18-2020, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsmrpitchy View Post
    I am currently in the process of ordering a Pooyan konami pcb, and am unsure whether I would be able to submit any attempts to TG.

The arcade scoreboard specifies that the stern version is required, but the MAME scoreboard contains submission from the konami version.

I have read there are demo differences between these versions but am unsure if their exists game play differences. Which brings me to the concern of whether the konami board I will order can be used to submit to the current arcade scoreboard? Or would I need to request and fund a new track for the knomai version through submission points?

Would be great to hear from Pooyan experts the differences between these version. If it turns out I cannot submit I will still play the game for high scores, however, would be nice to have a leaderboard I can participate in.
    I would gladly contribute towards a new track for the Pooyan [Konami].

I agree that Komani versions could have slipped into the US, although Stern was supposed to be the official distributor for North America, so in that sense, I think that most NA-based submissions were probably Stern. I see a number of submissions from 2005, which was the annual Funspot tournament, and I can confirm that they use a Stern version of the game.

In looking at the current scoreboard, one could try to see if any info existed from the 1980s scores, but at this point I think the one score that was mostly likely conducted on a Konami PCB would be the score from Biagio Banigi of 1,175,600 - he's an Italian player who achieved his score in Italy and from what I've determined the Konami game was distributed in that territory - that said, it could have been a bootleg of the Konami PCB called Pootan.

I can't confirm when "[Stern]" was added to the track, but that designation didn't exist historically - TG listings from 1982-1984 don't cite a PCB with the track. I suspect it's very likely that [Stern] was added after TG started up annual tournaments at Funspot circa 1999.
    Thanks francoisadt thanked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us