I'm a cartoon -- and a reminder we can all get along

1. I'm a cartoon -- and a reminder we can all get along

05-14-2020, 09:04 AM
    Now, as the ego maniac I am of course I love seeing myself cartoonified. But some my recognize the art style. Casey Ross, perhaps better known as the woman running the Billy Mitchell musical drew this.

Everyone knows how argumentative I am, and I'm always delighted to find people where you can argue and still be friends afterwards. I dont make my feeling on mitchell secret, and yet she and I can get along. I'll also take this opportunity to point out if I'm ever at an arcade with Todd Rogers i'd love to play joust or mario bros doubles with him.

Its not hypocritical to be able to get along with people in some areas while not in others, it is sadly rare though. I always enjoy the few times it can happen.
    Name:  image.png
Views: 116
Size:  591.9 KB
    Last edited by Snowflake; 05-14-2020 at 09:19 AM.
    Thanks Foot0fGod, datagod thanked this post
  2. 05-14-2020, 10:04 AM
    I want to give a counter point of view, and I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle probably.

These people have done unfathomable, lasting damage to the community and their consistent presence makes it difficult to recover. They are absolutely unashamed and unapologetic for this and, in fact, vicious themselves when confronted with it. They are toxic negatives and we all pay the tax they toll out. We do not have to be openly mean to them, we don't have to belittle them or fight with them in public, which is the part I respect of what you're saying. But we don't have to and shouldn't mute that truth at all.

I'm new to the community. I'm hardly an arcade player compared to most of you. I pretty much play Galaga and not very well in the grand scheme. But I'm just appalled at how all of this leaks even into our own little should-be-stress-free corner of the world. The Walter Day loyalists do not go quietly into that good night, they don't let there be peace. They cling to the yesteryears and some weird illusion of power that comes from... hell if I know, and they throw the first blow when that is challenged.

I've been to a few events with Billy. He's a personable guy! But I still don't like it, because every interaction we have *I know* is playing a part in re-establishing his legitimacy. He's a politician with no cause but himself, and that hangs over even the few friendly interactions we've had like a dark cloud.

And it totally doesn't have to be that way. I think every day "what if" Mitchell and Rogers just came out, said mistakes were made, we want to be a cautionary tale, we want to be a part of the process of making everything better and transparent, we want to earn the respect of the community and put up legitimate scores again. There would be opposition, but I'm always willing to let someones actions define them. Heck, Billy's first notable act was outing someone with a fake Donkey Kong score! Even if he's self-serving to his soul he should think of the compelling full-circle story that's there to be had.

But that's not where we are or will likely ever be. We just have these toxic people continuing to harm the community. We shouldn't call them out, but we shouldn't help them legitimize themselves because that is absolutely 100% the motive, even in innocent situations. I don't want to play with them. I don't want to really be at events with them, at least on purpose. Not until they change their abusive behavior. Because that's what you're engaging with when you have a part in that, the "nice guy" phase of an abusive relationship.
    Last edited by Foot0fGod; 05-14-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    Thanks The Evener thanked this post
    Likes grinder2112 liked this post
  3. 05-14-2020, 11:22 AM
    Wow, you look just like Jesus, except you are a sinner.
    Your friend, datagod

~~Raspberry Pi Enthusiast~~
  4. 05-14-2020, 11:24 AM
  5. 05-14-2020, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Foot0fGod View Post
    But that's not where we are or will likely ever be. We just have these toxic people continuing to harm the community. We shouldn't call them out, but we shouldn't help them legitimize themselves because that is absolutely 100% the motive, even in innocent situations. I don't want to play with them. I don't want to really be at events with them, at least on purpose. Not until they change their abusive behavior. Because that's what you're engaging with when you have a part in that, the "nice guy" phase of an abusive relationship.
    Team Billy isn't coming here and talking about Team Billy. No harm is being done. People are upset with each other, but that does not have to affect you or me.

I have stated many times I am a friend of both Billy and Jace. The lawsuits are unfortunate and I wish they would go away. No matter how the scores were achieved, it doesn not affect how I interact with my friends.

Nobody is destroying the community, because how we interact with each other IS the community.
    Your friend, datagod

6. 05-14-2020, 11:46 AM
    I'm not sure theres a right and wrong here so much as personal choice. The fake scores MUST be removed, after that how we deal with the inidividuals is up to us each indiviudally. I wasnt implying shunning is wrong, by all means, thats a perfectly valid way of dealing with it, and you're probably in majoirty in your opinion. Another distinguishment i'd like to make is between the people doing the action, the people believing them who deny the action was commited, and the people who know the action was commited but defend anyways. The person commiting the act sure, thats not just "disagreeing" thats them actually doing something. however the people defending them, those people and us really are disagreeing.

look if someone's a murderer i dont want them around me. If some philosophical law abiding blow hard wants to put forth a case why murder should be legal, as long as he'll never engage in the act himself, i can try to get along with him. i'll argue adamantly, but i'll still try to get along when the argument is over.
    Lode Runner Champion
    Likes Foot0fGod liked this post
  7. 05-14-2020, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by datagod View Post
    Nobody is destroying the community, because how we interact with each other IS the community.
    I would venture to say we don't treat each other very well, we have a lot of in-fighting and controversy, and it keeps us small and marginalized in a world that otherwise accepts gaming and esports with open arms. And that's not to say every community doesn't have that to some degree, especially other subgroups of the "gaming community." But this isn't exactly mutually exclusive to my point.
    Likes datagod liked this post
  8. 05-14-2020, 12:55 PM
    I guess what I am saying is that the fighting and drama only affects you if you let it.
    Your friend, datagod

9. 05-14-2020, 10:04 PM
    adjudication and disputes by their nature involve debate. thats healthy, not just acceptable, needed to keep things accurate.

i think the real things limiting the big attention of other games, is well, the games themselves. we play games from decades ago that were never intended to be spectator sport.

even the few exception like nintendo world championships, or maybe a space invaders competition really arent quite the same.

the closest we track to things that would get a huge following are fighting games like street fighter or mortal kombat, but even those we track one player mode. now for good reason we track single player, its a level playing field, once you have human opponents everyone has a different opponent so its not a fair comparison, but is more fun

i tell people all the time dont confuse "records" with "championships". championships are for whos best right now, records are for who was best across time. when tailoring to championships you can make exciting interesting matches that dont really transfer well to records. oh sure, people do make stats and records of how well sports players do against the competitoin, but thats not what people really watch for, the watch for the games themselves. our record chasing is just plain not the same as championship excitement, and thats fine, its its own fun.

thats actually the real bitterness i have against some of the old hot shots. they put forth the idea you can make a living of tg style gaming and its just not true, some impressionable suckers fell for it and it does both me to see people honestly thinking they're gonna make it some big day off the sort of thing we do here. its false hope, someday its gonna really hurt when they realize its fault, and even in the short term when the games are viewed as a path to a career instead of the fun they are, it intereferes with real life and even sucks the joy of the games out of them
    Lode Runner Champion
  10. 05-16-2020, 11:43 PM
    Name:  FB_IMG_1589697768603.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  67.1 KB

You're not special.
    Likes datagod, Marcade liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us