5 Donkey Kong questions

1. 5 Donkey Kong questions

05-27-2020, 09:43 PM
    Hello.

Questions:

1. As most players know, jumping barrels (perhaps poorly?) sometimes doesn't register a score, and I understand that it's already been adequately explained as to why this occurs (http://donkeykongforum.com/index.php...19869#msg19869). But does this ever happen to experienced players? Do any of the record runs by established players include barrel jumps that didn't count? Even a single one?

2. Experienced players seem to be able to tell whether barrels will roll off the edge of girders and disappear, or drop onto the girder below and come back around (so that they may potentially be jumped for a second time). How do they do this?

3. When point harvesting on the girders screen, players seems to spend a lot of time in the area directly underneath Kong. As such, can wild barrels be reliably predicted? Just how much of an element does luck play in this instance?

4. Most combinations of barrels seem to be able to be successfully jumped by players, either by jumping over all the barrels or between them. But is there such a thing as an unnavigable barrel combo; that is, too narrow of a gap to jump between, but too large of a gap to jump over?

5. Does a record score count if the kill screen isn't reached (say, for instance, that the final life is lost on the second-last screen, while still having a record score)?

Ok, thanks. Bye.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 05-29-2020, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dd22qq View Post
    Hello.

Questions:

1. As most players know, jumping barrels (perhaps poorly?) sometimes doesn't register a score, and I understand that it's already been adequately explained as to why this occurs (http://donkeykongforum.com/index.php...19869#msg19869). But does this ever happen to experienced players? Do any of the record runs by established players include barrel jumps that didn't count? Even a single one?

2. Experienced players seem to be able to tell whether barrels will roll off the edge of girders and disappear, or drop onto the girder below and come back around (so that they may potentially be jumped for a second time). How do they do this?

3. When point harvesting on the girders screen, players seems to spend a lot of time in the area directly underneath Kong. As such, can wild barrels be reliably predicted? Just how much of an element does luck play in this instance?

4. Most combinations of barrels seem to be able to be successfully jumped by players, either by jumping over all the barrels or between them. But is there such a thing as an unnavigable barrel combo; that is, too narrow of a gap to jump between, but too large of a gap to jump over?

5. Does a record score count if the kill screen isn't reached (say, for instance, that the final life is lost on the second-last screen, while still having a record score)?

Ok, thanks. Bye.
    1) I'm not an expert, but I've seen top players have their jumps not register for the 100. Sometimes it's just the heat of battle, sometimes it necessary if you're trying to jump through an onslaught of barrels that aren't ideally spaced.

In John McCurdy's WR run, you can see him point press on the top girder by cycle jumping, and one of them doesn't register. There are probably more over the course of a 3 hour game.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/430335031?t=01h59m22s

2) Only blue barrels will travel all the way down when a player is scaling the girders. It's my understanding that brown barrels will just fall off the end of the girder that the player is standing on unless the player is point pressing and retreats down a ladder to the lower level, at which point the barrel will remain "in play" as an obstacle for the player.

3) I'm not 100% about this one - I'd be interested in the answer as well.

4) Yes, it's possible to find yourself staring down a group of barrels that jumping past all of them isn't realistic given their spacing.

5) The leaderboard does not require the player to reach the kill screen for their score to be considered for submission.
    Last edited by The Evener; 05-29-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    Thanks dd22qq thanked this post
    Likes dd22qq liked this post
Join us