Custom Arcade Cabinet

  1. Custom Arcade Cabinet

    06-05-2020, 01:34 PM
    I am working on a custom Bar Top dedicated arcade machine with original 1982 PCB Board. It will have controls place with the same separation and original board. It will have a new style power supply and LCD monitor. Can I compete with this type of devise? I don't know anyone in the area with an original Front Line machine to record on. I live in the Seattle area. Thanks Jay
    Likes grinder2112 liked this post
  2. 06-18-2020, 07:23 AM
    I'm no authority on this, so don't infer anything from my question. What type of controls are you using? If I recall correctly, Front Line has a funky 8-position dial with an in-built button for aiming and firing. Do you have one of those, or are you simulating it with other discrete controls?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by grinder2112; 06-18-2020 at 07:26 AM.
    Likes Slinghit liked this post
  3. 06-22-2020, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinghit View Post
    I am working on a custom Bar Top dedicated arcade machine with original 1982 PCB Board. It will have controls place with the same separation and original board. It will have a new style power supply and LCD monitor. Can I compete with this type of devise? I don't know anyone in the area with an original Front Line machine to record on. I live in the Seattle area. Thanks Jay
    Yes you may compute with this setup if the controls are "similar" function the same as the original.

    Example: I do have a Ms. Pac-man self-restored cabinet but with a non-pac-man original joystick but a general Tornado Terry 4 way joystick with microswitches. So allthough the orginal joystick is not available the TYPE of joystick I am using is the same, meaning it is 4-way and no automation or intelligence builtin.

    So as long as your control panel and controls functionally are the same to provide no competitive advantage, its 100% to be used.
    streaming mspacman normal and turbo speed at: https://www.twitch.tv/francoisadt

    Francois du Toit
  4. 06-22-2020, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grinder2112 View Post
    I'm no authority on this, so don't infer anything from my question. What type of controls are you using? If I recall correctly, Front Line has a funky 8-position dial with an in-built button for aiming and firing. Do you have one of those, or are you simulating it with other discrete controls?
    I guess I didn't take the any photos showing the completed panel. The hole is a standard leaf type joy stick. I spaced the controls per the original layout. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Likes grinder2112 liked this post
  5. 06-22-2020, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by francoisadt View Post
    Yes you may compute with this setup if the controls are "similar" function the same as the original.

    Example: I do have a Ms. Pac-man self-restored cabinet but with a non-pac-man original joystick but a general Tornado Terry 4 way joystick with microswitches. So allthough the orginal joystick is not available the TYPE of joystick I am using is the same, meaning it is 4-way and no automation or intelligence builtin.

    So as long as your control panel and controls functionally are the same to provide no competitive advantage, its 100% to be used.
    Thank you so much for your input. The controls should be the same and layout the same. Original PCB board with correct dip switch settings. I was surprised that it plays slightly different than MAME. Thanks again Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  6. 06-22-2020, 09:32 AM
    Nice bartop layout.
    Clever compact design, next time I will try do this as well:
    - Vertical LCD
    - with VGA converter at the back of the LCD
    -PCB just behind the LCD vertically mounted so no space unused with easy access and replacement door!

    Just on the joystick:
    - I would to make authentic feel of gameplay, make sure the joystick ball top is standard and not scaled down like some other bar tops are designed.
    if you do have a fire game: Depends upon if you need accuracy or speed, for speed use leafswitch to ensure hit and fire are fast. Some argue microswitch are more accurate on press and release but slower.
    streaming mspacman normal and turbo speed at: https://www.twitch.tv/francoisadt

    Francois du Toit
    Thanks Slinghit thanked this post
  7. 06-22-2020, 09:58 AM
    Good input! I find leaf switches really important for games like Defender where you need to fire quickly!
  8. 06-23-2020, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinghit View Post
    What do you think?

    I think it looks great. Well done.
    Thanks Slinghit thanked this post
  9. 06-23-2020, 06:29 PM
    Wow, that's an awesome custom build. Completely original, love the industrial production aesthetic, I could also see this design serving as a template for a steampunk vibe as well. Congrats!
    Thanks Slinghit thanked this post
  10. 06-24-2020, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    Wow, that's an awesome custom build. Completely original, love the industrial production aesthetic, I could also see this design serving as a template for a steampunk vibe as well. Congrats!
    I wanted to do something different and small since the Misses doesn't want large machines in the house! Can't see from the picture but I have a fan in the door with holes right under the PCB to run air past the boards when running. I have been playing this game in MAME prior to this build and it does play different with the original PCB.

    Now I want to build another one!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us