NES / FAMICOM / DISK - Super Mario Bros. - NTSC - Fastest Full Completion - 19:23.0 - Jeremy Betz

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. NES / FAMICOM / DISK - Super Mario Bros. - NTSC - Fastest Full Completion - 19:23.0 - Jeremy Betz

06-19-2020, 03:49 PM
    vzaar-player

Additional Video Evidence:
    vzaar-player
    NTSC - Fastest Full Completion
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=9694
    Rank

Rules
    TGTS Settings [3 Lives to Start, 5 Lives Maximum]
    Special Rules: Timer starts the instant you hit the Start button and stops the INSTANT you touch the golden axe in the final castle. All 32 Levels MUST Be completed! Time will be recorded in WHOLE seconds ONLY. Use of the Wall-Jump tactic is NOT allowed! You MUST access the Underwater area of 8-4 by using the pipe across the lava pit. Doubling back and using the pipe before the pit to do so will equal Disqualification. Use of ANY Pipe to gosomewhere different then the programmers intended is BANNED! You MUST complete the game or your record/attempt WILL be disqualified!

[Wall-Jumping is defined as jumping against a wall [or pipe] in such a manner that a pixel or two of Mario is stuck in the wall [or Pipe] and is able to use that to jump again, far higher then can be done normally. Further definition; Mario cannot be made to jump off of a surface that is 90 degrees perpindicular to the ground. Please note this can be further used to also go through solid objects not normally passable as is disallowed.]
    [The Alternative Pipe usage refers to, for example, going through a lone brick while crouched to go through the wall and access World -1, whereas the pipes would normally be Warp Pipes to Worlds 2-4 Respectively. The doubling back on World 8-4 to get to the underwater area is another example]
    Submission Message
    This run beats the former TG record set by Andrew G in February of 2007. The biggest timesave here is the addition of fire Mario. With this, I can not only save time by fireballing any enemies in my way, but can also skip the Bowser falling animation in the -4 levels by fire killing him. This run is far from perfect. I lost about a second or so in 4-4, a third of a second in 4-3, and did safe strategies for 3-4, 5-4, and 6-4. In 5-4 and 6-4, I can manipulate the firebars to all be good by waiting due to the fact that the firebar patterns are based on the previous firebar. 8-4 in this run was quite rough as well as I had not yet created good glitchless strategies. In the water section, you can duck to cut Mario's hitbox in half. As this is a glitch, I didn't go for it and instead took an intentional hit, which was likely unoptimal compared to just waiting for the middle firebar to move. The ending podoboo and Bowser can also give bad patterns, so I waited on those as well.

Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Blackflag82, JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 06-19-2020, 05:06 PM
    I think we look good here.

I admit I'm not up on the differences between US and Japanese versions of SMB - what's the reason for using the Japanese cart?
  3. 06-19-2020, 05:10 PM
    Also, bonus points for including a cat in the video. :)
    Likes JeremyMKW liked this post
  4. 06-20-2020, 07:19 PM
    Japanese and US cart are the same. I only play on Famicom so that I can use the same console for NES and FDS games.
    Thanks GibGirl thanked this post
  5. 06-23-2020, 10:10 PM
    Your time is acceptable!
    Jared Oswald
    World record holders on "Guitar Hero", "Rock Band" and Sonic games.
  6. 06-23-2020, 11:30 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snip_Begin.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	112148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snip_End.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	112149

A couple of interesting snapshots showing the video timer at the beginning and end. This might need to be changed to 19:24.
    Thanks JJT_Defender, JeremyMKW thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender, JeremyMKW liked this post
  7. 06-23-2020, 11:32 PM
    True. Switching my vote to no. Here's a reason, when I submit my times, I rounded my time to the nearest second for speedruns.
    Jared Oswald
    World record holders on "Guitar Hero", "Rock Band" and Sonic games.
    Thanks JeremyMKW thanked this post
  8. 06-24-2020, 12:24 AM
    Great run, congrats and welcome to TG!

Killing Bowser with fireballs and RNG manipulation are not considered glitches so the run is acceptable. The time has to be rounded up tho', not down. Just resubmit it as a 19:24 and it should be fine, or better yet, submit it as a 19:23.48 which is more accurate.

Like you said, you started the splits earlier, you pressed start at 0.12, so 19:23.6 - 0:00.12 = 19:23.48

Name:	Sin título-1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	112151

Back when the old runs were submitted, the competition wasn't as hard as it is right now where the top players are apart just by milliseconds, so only whole seconds were used but I think nowadays we can and should abosuletely have more accurate times. So unless the comunity says something different, I would recommend you submit it as 19:23.480
    Daniel Ocampo
    Tomena Sanner
    Champion and JJT lover (not in that way).
    Thanks JJT_Defender, JeremyMKW thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender, JeremyMKW liked this post
  9. 06-24-2020, 07:26 AM
    Voting yes congratulations Jeremy Betz a new world record and welcome to Twin Galaxies
    Famicon NES console and using the controler to go to the 2nd quest on Super Mario Bros. can be seen from 1:18:59 to 1:19:25 on the Additional Video Evidence bottom video
    Rank 1 Jeremy Betz Date Submitted: 2020-06-19 Percent: 100 % Verification Method: IN PROCESS Status: Vote
    Elapsed Time 19:23.0
    Rank 2 Andrew J Gardikis Date Submitted: 2007-02-16 Percent: 96.76% Verification Method: Video Status: Undisputed
    Elapsed Time 20:02.0
    Result 0 days 1 hours 18 minutes 39 seconds
    - 0 days 0 hours 59 minutes 16 seconds
    = 0 days 0 hours 19 minutes 23 seconds
    Timer starts the instant you hit the Start button and
    Time stops the INSTANT you touch the golden axe in the final castle.
    Game starts at 59:16 on the video

Name:	image.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	364.7 KB 
ID:	112158
    Final Time is at 1:18:39 on the video

Name:	image.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	307.5 KB 
ID:	112159
    Game settings
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
    Thanks JeremyMKW thanked this post
  10. 06-24-2020, 07:53 AM
    Question
    1. What is RBG modded Super Mario bros. cartridge is at 1:19:16-19 on the bottom video or additional video evidence?
    The timer was started before you actually press the start button
    Timer starts the instant you hit the Start button

Sukola pointed out in his reply .12 so 19:23.6 - 0:00.12 = 19:23.48
    TG members you can see it at between 59:15-16 on bottom video as his finger is pressing the start button the timer is at .10 to .14.

19:24 rounding

Excellent run Jeremy You can go faster for sure.
    I see a time can be under 19 minutes may be as low as 18:30 or even better in a perfect run.
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Join us