WolfMAME vs MAME

1. WolfMAME vs MAME

07-09-2020, 04:49 PM
    Can anyone layout the differences between WolfMAME and MAME?

I've seen explanations like this:
    http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/

IIRC WolfMAME is a build which is optimised for MARP - MAME Action
    Replay Page, where literally thousands of MAME fans play, save and
    upload highscore attempts.

WolfMAME does not allow the player to pause games, use cheats, change
    DIP switches etc to gain an unfair advantage.

That makes total sense, but when I compare source code, I don't see any differences outside of white space. (I compared version 0.121, as it was the oldest available in that repository.) I've found some instructions about how to configure WolfMAME on this site, but I'm hoping there's some sort of authoritative discussion of the hard-wired safeguards that have been imposed. Also, is there a specific version Twin Galaxies requires?

My interest is only academic, so all rumors, speculations and dodgy web links are invited.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 07-10-2020, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grinder2112 View Post
    Can anyone layout the differences between WolfMAME and MAME?

I've seen explanations like this:

That makes total sense, but when I compare source code, I don't see any differences outside of white space. (I compared version 0.121, as it was the oldest available in that repository.) I've found some instructions about how to configure WolfMAME on this site, but I'm hoping there's some sort of authoritative discussion of the hard-wired safeguards that have been imposed. Also, is there a specific version Twin Galaxies requires?

My interest is only academic, so all rumors, speculations and dodgy web links are invited.
    You shall have to talk to Barry Roodeveldt contact message him on github at :
    https://github.com/mahlemiut/wolfmame
    OR
    on MARP:
    http://forums.marpirc.net/index.php

He knows the source code pretty well.

I did scratch around in the source code a while back but memory fade what those differences were on source code level, sorry.

What I can recall on early versions there used to (maybe still is a spesific security layer library of code to be "linked in" but that you also will need to talk to Barry about.

Are you investigate security? Writing a research paper on methods to secure game play?
    IF-SO, he can also provide you insight where you could improve the security of the Wolfmame code
    and reasons why certain aspects were not implemented but were raised earlier in earlier forums.
    Different methods do have pros and cons.

Some argue "all code" is hack-able so to what extent do you want to safeguard and add
    complexity to different layers of the source and binary. You just make it much more difficult
    for the one intended to do so.

Regards
    FdT
    streaming mspacman normal and turbo speed at: https://www.twitch.tv/francoisadt

Francois du Toit
    Thanks grinder2112, JJT_Defender thanked this post
  3. 07-10-2020, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by francoisadt View Post
    Are you investigate security? Writing a research paper on methods to secure game play?
    IF-SO, he can also provide you insight where you could improve the security of the Wolfmame code
    and reasons why certain aspects were not implemented but were raised earlier in earlier forums.
    Different methods do have pros and cons.

Not security really, just want to know explicitly what the differences are. As far as 0.121 goes, it appears there are no differences in the source code or make files. I guess I'll pick out a different version and make a comparison there. Maybe the first version in the fork was 0.121?

Edited to add: I also find it odd that one of the descriptions for regulation play with WolfMAME is an admonishment against using NVRAM. That makes a lot of sense, of course, but why not just cut it out of the code instead of telling the players to stay away from it?
    Last edited by grinder2112; 07-10-2020 at 01:16 PM.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
  4. 07-24-2020, 10:46 AM
    I did scratch around in the source code a while back but memory fade what those differences were on source code level, sorry.
    Thanks grinder2112 thanked this post
  5. 07-24-2020, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymm View Post

I managed to make a difference of version 0.196, and it appears the most significant difference is the inclusion of units for INP recording and playback, and small changes to other units to tie those in. Also, batch files to facilitate those features, and some tweaks to version identifiers to distinguish it as a WolfMAME build.

Name:  wolfvsmame.png
Views: 34
Size:  69.3 KB

That highlighted entry is only there because my differencer is baffled by the special characters in its filename.

I've been meaning to drop back several versions to see if canonical MAME ever had an INP record and/or playback that was removed, or if that's wholly an invention of a 3rd party project.
    Last edited by grinder2112; 07-24-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    Thanks francoisadt thanked this post
Join us