Dispute: John McAllister - Arcade - I, Robot - Points - Player: Dave Ryan - Score: 1,383,959

Is this a valid dispute?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll
  1. 08-30-2020, 09:02 PM
    So the TG editor turned my URL links above to specific times in the video playback into gobblygook somehow (they all take you to level 36's example despite have totally different urls that worked fine in preview btw). Hopefully by quoting the reply below you can jump directly to and or cut and paste the links to specific times in the video I am trying to share. If not you will have to go to the start times I list. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jerky View Post
    Here are some examples of what I call "unavoidable" deaths on the Floating Head waves.

From Level 12+ if you miss a tetra or spike that the floating head shoots they will come around behind the player and follow you until you die. The only way to avoid this is to get a meteor between the player and either of these deadly objects before that happens (then they explode on contact). This is of course very hard to do in normal space waves let alone floating head ones where there is only one occasional meteor at a time on screen from the Level 12 floating head wave forward.

These are instances in just one game example where the position, speed and or rotation of the floating head causes the spikes to be in one place while the tetra you also needs to shoot is in another. I suggest using the YT speed playback function to see this better (try 0.5).

Level 16 (19:28)

I go for shooting the tetra that has just appeared to the left...just as the head turns and starts spitting out spikes to my right. Not enough time to get back to shoot the spike that kills me (which takes two shots to destroy btw). Maybe I could have waited to shoot the tetra because the head started to curve back towards it as I was killed off but I would have had to follow and shoot all the spikes and then hope this lead me back in front of the tetra moving away to the left before it slipped past me.

Level 36 (47:51)

This is a clear example of having to choose to either shoot the stream of spikes to my left or the tetra coming in on the right. I was already committed to shooting the head as it moved and rotated to the left....just as the tetra appeared moving away from me to the right followed by a stream of spikes from the head to my left. If I had moved back to the right to get the tetra I would have been too far to the away to get the spikes coming at me from the left.

Level 36 (48:03)

This time the head was not shooting spikes for a moment so I moved to the left to go for the tetra just as it appeared...but of course the head decides to start shooting spikes to the right away from the direction I just committed to. At slowed down speeds (like .5) you can see I immediately try to give up on shooting the tetra to cover shooting the spikes...but I just don't have enough time to shoot the first one twice before it kills me. I shoot the tetra only by luck.

Level 49 (1:06:17)

The head shoots spikes out to the right side of the screen as the tetra literally goes off screen to the far left. No way I could shoot both to survive.

This is just how things go with the floating head whether you try to just shoot the stream of spikes and avoid manipulating the head by shooting it to keep it from turning around or not. I've seen a pretty steady average of about 4-5 of these types of deaths on these particular space waves over the course of two loops of the 26 mazes (Levels 1-52). I would also add that I also die at least a couple of times outside of these deaths by failing to shoot both parts of the spike (top and bottom) sometimes when it makes tricky curving patterns I don't expect which is hard to handle with the rate of auto fire (which you need to use one way or the other).

As I have said earlier according to my rough math it would take playing about 4-5 loops of all 26 mazes to score 1.38+ million points if you played from level 1 forward without any warps. You would have to clear at least two+ more more loops of 26 mazes if you just warped to Level 79 from level 1 and then played that far to the same score.

In both cases there are no more extra lives from 800k forward which is around Level 80 either way you play it. So if you can only bank 4 extra lives and at a minimum you have to play somewhere between a 2-4+ loops of the 26 mazes whether you warp or not...how do you avoid getting killed 4-5 times every two loops or so by the floating head issues shown above AND make no other mistakes at all for so many levels with all the other issues I have brought up?

It just seems to me there are too many ways for the game to steal more than 4 lives that you cannot replenish after 800k between the unavoidable floating head deaths and other factors I have discussed.
  2. 08-30-2020, 09:37 PM
    While I get zapped by the eye before the timer actually runs out...this is still a good example of how the rings keep blocking your progress both to the top of the maze and as you try to complete it with little room for any errors or delays.

As you can see they also push down on the columns that move up and down that block you from jumping forward to the square in front of them. The way the maze is designed it takes way longer to work up through the middle waiting for the columns to move out of the way so you can jump forward. You really need to get a long jump in up the far left or right side pretty early in the level so you can then follow behind the rings after the spawn to clear out squares with more safety and freedom to move around/avoid them.

The rings spawn two at a time and not exactly where the last one did...but it can appear as little as one square off center from the last one which is practically on top of where that one was. You also can't jump out of the rings way all the time when they appear right in front of you at the top like this example shows because of the eye being open (which would zap you if you tried to jump out of the rings way). This forces you to waste time running away until the eye close and you can jump out of the way.

I only had 262 left on the timer right before I got zapped by the eye which would have gone down a bit more if I waited to get that square leaving me way too short on time to make it back to the top of the maze just as another ring was about to spawn (that could have very likely blocked my path forcing me to wait even longer with no time left). I was going to lose a life either way before finishing this maze which is not uncommon.

From the second loop forward Level 44+ you also have to deal with view killers and clear this maze with the same issues. I have gotten used to giving up one life occasionally to these type of levels because of this although I also still clear it in one life just not consistently. I would say this happens maybe 1 in 3 or 4 times of playing which is pretty frequent given the number of times you would have to get past this after the game stops giving out lives 800k+ (at least twice or more/two loops of 26 mazes to score 1.3+ million points).

Again if the TG editor mangles this URL with a specific Youtube time stamp like it did above just use the start time I give below.

Level 18 (20:53)
  3. 08-30-2020, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redelf View Post
    Wow that has been some effort getting all this evidence into video and written form. Great job providing all the evidence David.
    Thanks for starting this dispute again.

Too bad the glitchy TG editor is doing a great job of mangling URLs with specific video time stamps on YouTube still. They work fine in the editor/preview but then after you submit the reply they translate them to something else completely. I've tried them both as URLs only and using the Insert Video tab. Sometimes every link goes to the same time stamp in the video despite them all having different URLs and others it seems random. Then the playback button also does not appear over the actual video or at all in some cases.

No success so far except by random it seems that's why I noted the start times for people so they can actual find these and watch them.

TG please fix your buggy editor. It really makes me not want to post anything sometimes because of the mess it makes...and I cannot go back and edit the post again to fix the problems in submissions nor disputes :(
  4. 08-31-2020, 07:09 AM
    Notwithstanding the thorough evidence presented thus far, I wanted to add the following to the dispute review record for background/context.

The disputed score was achieved during the 1986 Video Game Masters Tournament. TG/Walter Day established the annual tournament in 1983, but by 1985/86, TG closed and Walter withdrew from the scene. Therefore in 1986, the United States National Video Game Team nherited responsibility for running and overseeing the tournament. Tournament results were published in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Dave's name appears in the 1987 edition of Guinness, as captured at CAGDC:

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/w...ness/index.htm

In order to "win" on a specific game, the player had to surpass the Threshold Score for that title, which was the highest score achieved by someone at a previous VGMT. For the 1986 tournament, the incumbent score of 818,684 was achieved Jim Jung who won the 1985 VGMT, who is currently in second place on the TG leaderboard.

The threshold scores, tournament rules, and game settings were printed in the Official Games Manual and distributed to sanctioned arcade locations who were participating in the VGMT.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140123195127/http://mysite.verizon.net:80/hattg/pics/videogame/1986_VGM_TOGM.pdf

The game settings are a bit sparse as they don't go through the dips, but the rules also cite "Players are allowed to continue their game to a maximum starting level of 790,000 points"
    Thanks jerky thanked this post
  5. 08-31-2020, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    The threshold scores, tournament rules, and game settings were printed in the Official Games Manual and distributed to sanctioned arcade locations who were participating in the VGMT.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140123195127/http://mysite.verizon.net:80/hattg/pics/videogame/1986_VGM_TOGM.pdf

The game settings are a bit sparse as they don't go through the dips, but the rules also cite "Players are allowed to continue their game to a maximum starting level of 790,000 points"
    Thanks for posting this information especially the link to the official manual. I see several interesting things from the manual :

1. While the tournament manual does not show the exact dip switch settings for I, Robot unfortunately...it does reveal two important facts, one I was not aware of :

a. Under Settings - "Bonus men.....none"!
    This directly contradicts the settings Twin Galaxies currently has listed for this arcade track that state "Bonus Life: 20,000" which I have always taken to mean extras every 20k since there is no dip switch option for just a single bonus life at 20k only.

With no bonus lives at all this makes achieving the 1.3+ million point score even harder to imagine as possible by straight up level to level play. They would not have been able to build up the maximum of 4 lives at all in this performance because of this since you would have to set this 80s WR with ONLY 2 lives in the bank and the 1 you are playing with from the start and no hope of any extra lives!
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/i-...arcade/points/

b. Under Settings as well - "Players are allowed to continue their game to a maximum starting level of 790,000 points".
    This seems to be an error on the part of those organizing the 1986 tournament since the last warp available in Demo Mode is actually to level 79 which awards 780,000 points. That would also be the same last warp available level and bonus score wise if they had been continuing their games over and over to work their way up to Level 79 if playing from Level 1 if was not setup in Demo Mode (like in Tempest with the skill step system for example).

This sets up some confusion about how the warping rule was actually applied because "continuing" their game is not quite the same as starting a game from level 1 and warping anywhere you want like the current TG rules state : "Special Rules: You may use the Warpzone on Level 1 to freely warp to any level permitted by it." The current TG arcade track states that Demo Mode was used "Demonstration Mode: On".
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/i-...arcade/points/

2. Under the "Make sure a score is legitimate" section they DO NOT list I, Robot with the other games that had known exploits, bugs, tricks, and or illegal play mechanics listed on page 3 of the tournament manual. Each of the games listed in this section also has a note about these issues in the contest list of games while I, Robot has none.

If the game was in Demo Mode then it seems they were not aware of the ability to easily reset the bonus timer which I have pointed out to other gamer's surprise in our modern era.This makes some sense because if you only play the first 26 mazes most players would never have a need to press both player 1 and 2 at the same time or at all other than to start a game (which would reset the bonus timer to 9800). It's not until the second loop of 26 mazes Level 27+ that you have to use these buttons to avoid the view killer enemies which most players don't reach or spend much time on if they are using Demo Mode. This exploit is also easy to miss in regular play if you are not watching the bonus timer when you bump it up to 9800 unless someone was really abusing this at the end of the level as the timer counted down.

Summary:
    This new information muddies the water a bit on one hand by creating some confusion about how the warping/continuing their game rules were applied in the 1980s and whether or not the game was set up to use Demo Mode or not. On the other hand the main problem with this score still exists irregardless of dip switch settings and rules between eras : No more extra lives are awarded after 800k whether you had the extras every 20k settings on or not leaving a huge chunk of score to achieve on very few lives (either 3 or 5 possibly depending on which bonus lives rule was applied).

If the wording is to be taken literally and was applied that way, contestants could have been limited to playing from Level 1 and working their way up to level 79 only by continuing their games to gain the last available warp for 780,000 points but that's as high as you can warp under any dip settings. If you have enough quarters or free play players with decent skills, like I would imagine this tournament drew plenty of, they could work their way up to level 79 from 1 in an afternoon easily without warping directly to Level 79 from 1 to start. However they could not keep using that tactic to build up to a 1.3+ million point game because you would only be able to start at level 79 again irregardless of dip settings.

But they also could have been in Demo Mode and able to warp to any level from the start like the current TG track states because from my experience the warp bonus scores are very close to what players would have averaged playing level to level anyway. With no bonus lives available as well forcing many potential continue games to get that far in the game, I could see the tournament allowing Demo Mode warping from level 1 to any level available from the start despite the confusing wording because there's no real difference/advantage other than time required to earn the highest available warp to level 79 if you had to continue game by game to do so.

In going through all the other titles for the tournament I see that in many cases where you could continue a game like you can in I, Robot to progress farther....they did not allow it :
    Arm Wrestling, Catch 22, Cheyenne, Crack Shot, Empire Strikes Back, Express Raider, Ghosts & Goblins, Gunsmoke, Major Havoc, Space Harrier, Star Raider, Super Mario Bros, Tempest, Trojan, Zwackery, 10 Yard Fight and 1942.

For other titles the tournament did allow limited starting at higher levels/difficult settings and some warping but only up to a certain point :
    Crystal Castles, Empire Strikes Back, Firefox, Food Fight, Indiana Jones, Millipede, Pack Rat, Star Wars, and Tempest.

Across the tournament there seems to be an intent to avoid any continuing games that allow you to build up score or progress farther by playing over and over as well as wanting to limit games where you could warp or pick different starting levels/difficulty. For other titles they limited the level you could jump to from the start as well. They did not allow the use of "skill step" continuing in Tempest for example but that's essentially what the I, Robot rules seem to allow if the exact wording is to be believed.

If this was the general philosophy of the tournament then why does it seem I, Robot exists far outside of the general rule mind set above whether you look at continuing games to progress farther/score higher or jump to limited initial starting levels? Maybe because it was such a hard game that many players likely would not have seen in arcades given it's very limited production numbers? Could it also be that there was not much advantage between continuing to higher levels or warping from the start to them score wise? Could it be like Millipede that allowed players to start at the highest toughest level?

I cannot answer those questions but no matter what the rules where and how they were applied either way I, Robot players would max out at Level 79 with a 780k bonus no matter what the dips were set at whether they continued to level 79 game by game or jumped right there from Level 1 at the start. That as high as the game allows you to warp no matter how far you keep continuing playing games past level 79. You cannot warp to level 137 for example again after you play up to it die off and then continue a new game. When you restart the only option will be to warp to level 79 again whether you are under Factory Default or Demo Mode dips (Default does not allowing direct to level 79 from Level 1 while Demo Mode does).

This leads back to the main issue for this dispute :

How in the world did a player survive such a tough game for so many levels beyond Level 79 with no way to continue/warp any higher for bigger bonus points in a game that has by design many ways to unfairly steal lives from the most skilled of players no matter how good they are? Could there be a player so skilled that they could overcome all the issues with the floating head waves as well as all the other levels with random spawning enemies for so long on only 3 lives? Could they even do it with 5 lives if extras every 20k were allowed?

If the the no bonus lives at all setting was applied for this tournament as listed in the manual, despite the current TG era rule contradictions, then those random unavoidable death scenarios I have been detailing make it even harder to believe they could have done it level by level without using the bonus timer reset available only in Demo Mode. And even if the modern TG rules are correct and they used extras every 20k....there would still be no more extra lives after 800k available as I have shown which also happens to be right after the highest available warp to level 79. In both cases this seems to be in the super human almost no mistakes possible realm in a game that doesn't allow that as far as I can tell because of all the random factors designed into the game to limit progress in order to make $$$.

There are no more warps available beyond level 79 for that fixed maximum bonus score of 780k. They would have to have survived a non pattern-able game with numerous random spawning enemies that generate numerous unavoidable deaths for more than 26x2 mazes/levels based on my average scoring numbers of about 280k per loop of 26 mazes. Again from Level 79 forward that would be sure to go down since beating best maze times, getting all the gems and topping best space waves scores all become much harder if not impossible at the higher level of difficulty needed to play so far on so few lives.

Also despite the very strict rules and procedures in the manual for these high profile 1980's tournaments...it's already been proven that in both the 1985 and 1986 Video Games Tournament referees somehow never saw the gameplay of either Dwayne Richards nor Ettore Ciaffi for the two back to back Major Havoc world records that both took advantage of the "hand trick" to repeat level 13 over and over. They also did not even list the "hand trick" in the 1986 tournament manual.

Given these facts I'd say that it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the same tournament organizers missed/were not aware of the bonus timer reset scoring issues available in I, Robot when Demo Mode was used despite the contradicting rules in the 80s rules versus the modern TG site ones.

It's very worth noting as well that the Dave Ryan Atari I, Robot score in question was set in the same 1986 Masters Tournament where Ettore Ciaffi set the 1.9 million point Major Havoc WR using an obvious level looping glitch. Also according to Dwanye Richard refs in the 1985 Masters Tournament never saw his Major Havoc gameplay using the same "hand trick" glitch and got the scores off the high score table (1985 tournament). Given these facts I don't think it would have been to hard for Dave Ryan to have used the I, Robot bonus timer reset glitch in Demo Mode without anyone seeing him do it.

For me the only "simple" answer I see barring other concrete evidence and or eye witness testimony is a super easy and totally available one if the game was set in Demo Mode that allowed the unlimited score leeching bonus timer reset. Despite the contradicting language between the 1980s rules and modern TG I still feel this all points to the game being set in Demo Mode where they could use this exploit the tournament was not aware of simply by virtue of all the ways the game can kill a player off unfairly that someone would have to avoid somehow for such an unbelievably long time (up to or past level 130 based on available points/average score per loop of 26 mazes).

I'd love to see/believe someone beat this game up level by level from 1 or 79 forward for two+ more loops of the game to score 1.3+ million points...but because of all the unavoidable death scenarios that Atari designed into the game I still think it's simply not possible to score that high legitimately because of the many factors I have been listing in this dispute.

If someone has any more info about this tournament/WR performance especially the dip switch settings for I, Robot we would love to hear about it to help clear up this dispute.

In the mean time I will take some time to put together a video that shows you cannot continue past level 79 and warp any higher than that built in barrier to show players had to play level to level to set this score since you could not get it easily via continuing games/warping higher.

Happy Gaming!
  6. 08-31-2020, 02:49 PM
    Here is a video example done using Demo Mode that shows you cannot get any warps past Level 79 even if you play past this level and try to continue again the next game where you left off. Normally the game does allow you to play the next game at whatever higher level you left off at...but only up to Level 79.

So Dave Ryan would have to play level to level from 79 to somewhere around 130+ by my average scoring estimates to achieve the 1,383,959 points and do so with either no bonus lives awarded and or hitting the no extra lives after 800k wall.

7. 08-31-2020, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jerky View Post
    Here is a video example done using Demo Mode that shows you cannot get any warps past Level 79 even if you play past this level and try to continue again the next game where you left off. Normally the game does allow you to play the next game at whatever higher level you left off at...but only up to Level 79.

So Dave Ryan would have to play level to level from 79 to somewhere around 130+ by my average scoring estimates to achieve the 1,383,959 points and do so with either no bonus lives awarded and or hitting the no extra lives after 800k wall.

Horrible audio lag aside this video above brings up another issue I was going to address : There is barely enough time/not enough time to complete Level 85 in one life (7th maze of 26 in the 4th loop).

Without any way to warp past Level 79 via continued games for higher bonus points beyond 780,000 points this level is one of many where a player would lose a life no matter how good they are. With no bonus lives at all possibly and none after 800k either way this makes this WR score seem even more unlikely since they would have to defeat this 7th maze of 26 in the next loop on their way up to and past level 130 to score 1.383 million points.

I might sit down with unlimited lives turned on to see if it is even possible to get through Level 85 in one life before the timer expires and it is not the only level in this 4th loop of 26 that will have similar issues. Dave Ryan would also have to complete the 5th loop of 26 mazes after this as well to score that high.

More to come...
  8. 08-31-2020, 03:27 PM
    Your expertise and extensive analysis is much appreciated, Jerky.

For additional reference, I came across a post at marcpic.net - you may have seen this already earlier in your work, but I'll share the link here for the dispute. The 6th post down (TJT) refers to an email from Walter Day about Dave's score:

http://forums.marpirc.net/viewtopic....12892&start=15

Robert,

You may disseminate this information as needed:

The "I, Robot" world record was achieved by David Ryan in June 1986, during the 1986 Video Game Master's Tournament, hosted in more than 100 Aladdin's Castles arcades across America. The results of this event were submitted to the 1987 Guinness Book of World Records.

Dave Ryan, of Little Rock, the I, Robot champion, died Jan. 4, 1992.
    This means he is not available to comment on his record. We have been actively researching these circumstances for the last three months and have even been mentioned in the Little Rock Democrat-Gazette in regards to Ryan's demise.

The 1986 Video Game Master's Tournament was managed by members of the U.S. National Video Game Team. They required the management of each Aladdin's Castle to verify the high-score results and submit them to team headquarters.

Since evidence is mounting that the score achieved by David Ryan may have been a multi-credit accomplishment, we can consider listing the score under a "multi-credit" category and freeze the category, and then require all future scores to be verified as "one-credit" scores.

However, my recommendations must be approved by the Twin Galaxies Board of Referees before acted upon.

Regards,

--
    Walter Day
    President Twin Galaxies
  9. 08-31-2020, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    Your expertise and extensive analysis is much appreciated, Jerky.

For additional reference, I came across a post at marcpic.net - you may have seen this already earlier in your work, but I'll share the link here for the dispute. The 6th post down (TJT) refers to an email from Walter Day about Dave's score:

http://forums.marpirc.net/viewtopic....12892&start=15
    "Since evidence is mounting that the score achieved by David Ryan may have been a multi-credit accomplishment, we can consider listing the score under a "multi-credit" category and freeze the category, and then require all future scores to be verified as "one-credit" scores."

Well that is even more interesting information and thank you. I never saw this before.

This info points to a multi credit continuing gameplay style that took advantage of starting a new game and warping to the higher levels he must have worked his way up to which according to the tournament rules were allowed at the time if read correctly and applied that way. But, it seems TG later frowned upon this. That makes sense since the 1986 tournament had so many games they did not allow continuing on.

However it still does not explain what I am seeing in Demo Mode with regards to the inability to warp past Level 79 and the highest warp bonus of 780,000 points nor does it explain how he made it to 1.3+ million points from that point.

So far the mounting issues are:

1. An email between RTM and Walter Day discussing this score being multi credit gameplay (using warps to keep getting farther via multiple games) that seems to be on the verge of getting it DQ'd or locked into a multi credit track but that never happened for reasons unknown. They speak of mounting evidence for the multi credit gaming which I would love to find out more about if possible.

2. Conflicting rules between the 1986 Video Game Masters Tournament settings that state no bonus lives at all while they don't make clear whether Demo Mode was used or not. This is versus the current TG site that states Demo Mode can be used and with extras every 20k.

3. Either way as far as I have discovered the game stops giving out extra lives after 800k whether you start with 3 lives and or if you were getting extras every 20k up to this point (maximum is four extras anyway).

4. The game does not allow warping via continued games past the level 79 780,000 point bonus and going by average score/available points Dave Ryan would have to play up past level 130+ somehow to set this score even using continues/warps if somehow the game does allow you to warp higher than level 79 for bigger bonus points.

5. This is a game Atari designed to not be marathoned using all sorts of random enemy behavior that leads to multiple unavoidable deaths just across two loops of 26 mazes from my gaming experience and that's at a much lower difficulty than everything Level 53+ while it gets even harder from Level 79 forward. The floating head waves kill the player of about 4-5 times per two loops of 26 mazes from what I have found. You can get stuck on the 11th and 18th maze due to enemies blocking your ability to finish the mazes in time. Some later levels may not even be possible to clear in the allotted bonus time/with one life as well like Level 85 for example (7th of 26 mazes from the 4th loop of 26 mazes forward). I know there are also available time issues like this on the 11th, 18th, 21st, 23rd and 26th mazes of 26 from the 4th+ loop of mazes too.

However this combination of issues comes together it is looking less and less likely that this is a legit score worthy of the Twin Galaxies or any other scoreboard save archiving the track and noting it as a multi credit game at best (which still has issues because I cannot find any way to warp past Level 79 nor to set such a score outside of Demo Mode timer leeching that is a whole other can of worms).

Whether it was set using Demo Mode or not in the past, both the arcade and mame tracks now that state Demo Mode can be used should be locked down as well because of the bonus timer leeching issue even if that was somehow not used in this questionable performance.

This is getting very interesting.

More to come...
  10. 09-05-2020, 06:45 PM
    I thought it was worth investigating whether or not Dave Ryan's WR score of 1,383,959 was set under Factory Default settings instead of using Demo Mode after seeing that old email above from Walter Day to RTM discussing the suspicion that this was a multi credit game.

"Since evidence is mounting that the score achieved by David Ryan may have been a multi-credit accomplishment, we can consider listing the score under a "multi-credit" category and freeze the category, and then require all future scores to be verified as "one-credit" scores. "

So I set the game to factory default settings today and played from Level 1 up to and past Level 79 by repeatedly continuing my game after I had died off, started a new game right away and then warped from the start of the game right back up to where I last left off just like Dave Ryan may have done if the "old TG" was right about those suspicions.

I was surprised to find that you could keep warping past level 79 in factory default mode unlike Demo Mode....but the game locks the warp bonus at 790,000 points from level 80 forward no matter how far you get!

Here is a playback video showing me continuing to a new game after dying on level 106. I restart and then warp from Level 1 to 106 again. Note the warp bonus does grow beyond 790k past level 80. After I get the warp bonus I was able to play long enough to cross the 820k line to verify that you also do not get any more extra lives past that point just like Demo Mode.

The second video above shows that I was able to play up to level 113 this afternoon multi credit style to further confirm that the warp bonus remains unchanged from Level 80 to this point. It does not go any higher than 790k which is probably where that number came from in the Video Master tournament guidelines.

I don't think Dave Ryan played multi credit style up to 1.3+ million points because from what I have found it is hard to score more than 820-840k per game warping to any level from 79 forward due to the incredibly high level of difficulty. I had trouble even getting by some of the levels in one life because so many of them don't seem possible to complete before the bonus timer runs out. It was only sheer luck that I was able to get by Level 106 in one life in the first video above. It took me 20+ tries to do so!

From what I have found you cannot progress much farther than a handful of levels past any warp beyond level 79. The game does not allow more than 4 extra lives, it stops giving them out after 800k under either of the possible dip switch setting combinations that may have been used (other than from the "I, Robot" bonus letters which would only be one extra life per 7 levels at the most), the maximum warp bonus is 780-790k, and it is so hard from this point forward that getting through a level on one life from Level 79 is a very tall order if not impossible most of the time....so how in the world did Dave Ryan set this world record legitimately?

The most likely way was to play on a machine set to Demo Mode that would allow him to score up to 1,383,959 points by abusing the bonus timer reset function probably after he warped up to Level 79 for 780,000 points. Then all he had to do was leech the bonus timer at the end of that level or any of the next ones before he died not much longer after that.

It just does not seem possible to play past the 4th loop of 26 mazes in one game whether you try to do so from level 1, or warp up to Level 79 in Demo Mode, or play multi credit from Level 1 under factory Default dips multi credit style by warping deeper and deeper into the game.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us