Dispute: Jason Vasiloff - M.A.M.E. - The Punisher [World 930422] - Points [Single Player Only] - Player: Adrian Rodriguez - Score: 9,999,900

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Dispute: Jason Vasiloff - M.A.M.E. - The Punisher [World 930422] - Points [Single Player Only] - Player: Adrian Rodriguez - Score: 9,999,900

09-21-2020, 07:01 PM
    M.A.M.E. - The Punisher [World 930422] - Points [Single Player Only]
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=14464
    Rules
    ROMSet: Punisher
    Freeze: Off
    Internal Settings
    -----------------

Continue: Off
    Monitor Flip: Off
    Demo Sounds: Off
    Sound: Q Sound
    Game Difficulty: 3 [Normal]
    Number of Players: 2
    Extend: 1800000
    Player Select: ON
    Special Rules: This is a Single Player ONLY Variation! You may freely choose your character. Continues are NOT allowed!
    Player Name
    Adrian Rodriguez
    Original Adjudication
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php?t=218399
    Verification Method
    TGSAP
    Verification Date
    2020-09-14
    Disputed Score
    9,999,900 (Rank 1)
    Disputed By
    JasonV91
    Dispute Evidence / Rationale
    The attached .inp does not play back to the submitted score - instead, the recording reaches game over during the Bone Breaker boss, at a score of 1,715,500. This is almost always a sign that NVRAM was not disabled before the recording was started, which violates the global submission rules for MAME.

Thanks Snowflake, JJT_Defender, starcrytas, Doron thanked this post
    Likes Barra, JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 09-21-2020, 10:45 PM
    I couldn't get this to playback either after several attempts

Voting yes
    Thanks JasonV91, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  3. 09-22-2020, 11:45 AM
    Voting yes
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
  4. 09-24-2020, 06:32 PM
    Sounds like a valid dispute.
    Lauren Tyler
    Eternal Champion of Ragol
  5. 09-27-2020, 03:18 PM
    I am curious on the original submission there's an INP playback that seems to have screenshots of the whole game including final score. I'm with Barra and Jason on it not playing back correctly but that seems weird on the original submission, like whats going on here?
  6. 09-27-2020, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I am curious on the original submission there's an INP playback that seems to have screenshots of the whole game including final score. I'm with Barra and Jason on it not playing back correctly but that seems weird on the original submission, like whats going on here?
    I can't say for sure what was done, but one of the ways this would be possible is if the submitter sent the NVRAM file that was generated during the recording - if you had this with the .inp, it would be possible to play it back...of course, it's a moot point, as NVRAM usage is banned anyway.
    Thanks Derek, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Derek, JJT_Defender liked this post
  7. 09-30-2020, 03:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I don't know the user that played The Punisher. Costa Rica is a very nice place, I suppose, but I live very far from there. I never met him on TG or somewhere on the web. No private messages between us (maybe admins can confirm this). I didn't receive VRAM, files, or money from this user. Simply, I managed to play back his submission, it seemed good to me, therefore I voted yes. I didn't know about the "if the INP doesn't play back at the first attempt you must reject the submission" rule, sorry.

I don't remember exactly what I did with Punisher, maybe I read something on the MAME Replay site or forum about the way to play back INPs with these old WolfMAME versions if you run into problems. I don't remember well and I deleted all the stuff from the hard disk. Anyway, I tried to rebuild all the process. Simply, this INP works at the second attempt (lol). Maybe it's the same for that Pang submission that was disputed (by the way, I didn't notice it was played with MAME instead of WolfMAME, I would be an awful referee, I'm sorry, I'm only a gamer).

The Punisher INP plays back (on a "clean" WolfMAME 0.184 simply downloaded from Github and unzipped) at the second attempt. After the first failed attempt, WolfMAME 0.184 creates a VRAM folder by itself. I don't know why this happens. Then, if you simply try to play back it again, it works (I stopped the playback after Bone Breaker was killed, score was roughly three million points).

I made a video of this, if you don't believe me:

A step-by-step guide to the video:

0:00 WolfMAME 0.184 downloaded from Github, INP downloaded, WolfMAME unzipped, etc. Punisher ROM set previously downloaded from a well known "paradisiacal place" thanks to the script.

1:05 First playback attempt. Note that no VRAM folder exists at the moment.

21:05 The first (failed) attempt ends: Bone Breaker has won. Immediately the second (successful) attempt begins. Note that I didn't add or touch anything between the two attempts.

42:00 Bone Breaker bites the dust.

42:55 We are back to the desktop. As you can see, the VRAM folder automatically appears, I clicked on it to show its content, then I opened the Punisher zipped ROM too.

I guess this won't change anything due to the strictness of the laws that rule the MAME universe on TG, I was only trying to understand what happened and to give you an answer. It doesn't matter to me about credibility and all. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  8. 09-30-2020, 03:22 AM
    Ah ok I see, games that generate NVRAM will do it after they have been run once, unless it’s been disabled; either you must delete the folder after you play the first time (and was each time you play) or need to disable nvram from the start which is what most us do
Join us