Atari 2600 / VCS - Astroblast - EMU - Game 1, Difficulty A (Peak score) - 182,465 - Garrett Holland

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari 2600 / VCS - Astroblast - EMU - Game 1, Difficulty A (Peak score) - 182,465 - Garrett Holland

09-27-2020, 05:53 PM
    vzaar-player

EMU - Game 1, Difficulty A (Peak score)
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=233650
    Rules
    Score submitted must be the peak score, which is displayed after the game is over.
    Submission Message
    0:00:11 Diff sw settings
    0:00:15 MD5
    0:02:58 Start of run
    1:02:02 End of run

Thanks JJT_Defender, Almighty Dreadlock thanked this post
    Likes Barthax, GregDeg, JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 09-28-2020, 10:14 AM
    Question
    1. Does only one left difficulty set to A and the right difficulty set to B? Is this the way suppose to be set up?
    here is the screen shot.
    Name:  image.png
Views: 23
Size:  96.3 KB Name:  image.png
Views: 23
Size:  96.3 KB

Voting yes
    Game starts at 2:02 on the video
    Final score is at 2:58 on the video
    Game settings
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,803 Match Wins 49Cities
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  3. 09-28-2020, 10:35 AM
    Yes. The right switch is irrelevant. When the right switch is set to A, the player begins the game on the hardest level, and has no benefit or advantage whatsoever, only a disadvantage. If someone wants to play on that setting, more power to 'em. ;-)
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Snowflake, JJT_Defender liked this post
  4. 09-28-2020, 10:39 AM
    To avoid confusion, I should probably ask Franny to amend the rule-set to say the right switch can be set to either position, although omitting that clarification effectively allows that to happen anyway, so amending to allow would only serve to avoid questions.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  5. 09-28-2020, 11:40 AM
    do what you want with your track, but my opinion is rules shouldnt be changed unless theres an overwhelmingly compelling reason to do so. the whole "if it aint broke dont fix it", a bunch of little harmless, or even mildly helpful changes can have a way of creating problems
    Lode Runner Champion
    Thanks Garrett Holland, Ulisses Patriota thanked this post
  6. 09-28-2020, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    do what you want with your track, but my opinion is rules shouldnt be changed unless theres an overwhelmingly compelling reason to do so. the whole "if it aint broke dont fix it", a bunch of little harmless, or even mildly helpful changes can have a way of creating problems

In this sense, in some games the difficulty keys in AB or BA change the configuration of the game. Even the PB key can do this. As an example I quote the Commando Raid.

E neste sentido, em alguns jogos as chaves de dificuldade em AB ou BA, mudam a configuração do jogo. Até a chave PB pode servir para isto. A título de exemplo cito o Commando Raid.
  7. 09-28-2020, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses Patriota View Post
    In this sense, in some games the difficulty keys in AB or BA change the configuration of the game. Even the PB key can do this. As an example I quote the Commando Raid.

E neste sentido, em alguns jogos as chaves de dificuldade em AB ou BA, mudam a configuração do jogo. Até a chave PB pode servir para isto. A título de exemplo cito o Commando Raid.
    In this sense, in some games the difficulty keys in AB or BA change the configuration of the game. Even the COLOR SWITCH can do this. As an example I quote the Commando Raid.

8. 09-28-2020, 03:17 PM
    Well, the "Additional info" blurb in the rule set clear states "Difficulty A = Autofire On", so if a pmayer wants to mistake that as a directive to turn the right switch on, which does *not* enable autofire, then that's on them, I suppose.
  9. 09-28-2020, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses Patriota View Post
    In this sense, in some games the difficulty keys in AB or BA change the configuration of the game. Even the COLOR SWITCH can do this. As an example I quote the Commando Raid.

absolutley, which provides an excellent reason why such changes shouldnt be made. atari had some hero across the board add 1b to everything, when the default back then was "easiest settings". 1b is usually but not always easiest. in an attempt to make things more explicit and clear, what actually happened was quite a few tracks became ruined you know, cause someone tried to fix something that wasnt broken. now, due to the rule change its resulted in either having scores that were done in good faith being removed since the rules are now different, or its resulted in nearly impossible scores to beat since the new settings are too hard to compete on.

i've also seen rules requested to be changed, then changed again and again and again which each change being "the last one, its needed for clarity".

really, its not just mechanical things that "dont fix it if it aint broken" applies to. its not even theory, i've seen right here, at twin galaxies, attempt to fix rules create more and more problems over time. really dont change it if you dont absoutely have to.
    Lode Runner Champion
    Thanks Ulisses Patriota thanked this post
    Likes Ulisses Patriota liked this post
Join us