Atari 2600 / VCS - Rescue Terra 1 - NTSC - Game 1 (Points) - 4,048,775 - Garrett Holland

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari 2600 / VCS - Rescue Terra 1 - NTSC - Game 1 (Points) - 4,048,775 - Garrett Holland

11-22-2020, 10:58 PM
    vzaar-player

NTSC - Game 1 (Points)
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=7352
    Rank
    Rules
    Game 1 = One-Player, Entire Mission.
    Difficulty switches are not used in this title.

Submission Message
    Played for the AtariAge New High Score Club High Score Contest - Season 10 Gold Bracket Finals
    0:00:05 Harmony Cart demo
    0:00:27 Power cycle
    0:00:48 Rescue Terra I selected
    0:00:54 Start of run
    0:11:53 Freaking jerk shows up
    0:43:54 Rollover @ 1,000,000
    1:14:53 Rollover @ 2,000,000
    1:46:11 Rollover @ 3,000,000
    2:17:06 Rollover @ 4,000,000
    2:18:24 End of run @ 4,048,775
    Video compressed to 30%

2. 11-23-2020, 02:58 AM
    Huge Score!!

I’m hoping this is what point pressing is though.
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  3. 11-23-2020, 03:56 AM
    Amazing score Garrett, well played
  4. 11-23-2020, 04:45 AM
    Monster score !!!! Well done!
  5. 11-23-2020, 05:31 AM
    Voting Yes!
    I watched the first 40 minutes and the last 20. It's all right in my view.

Can the strategy you use from the 16th minute be seen as leeching?

In my opinion, no. It takes skill and precision to not make mistakes.
    Likes nads, Garrett Holland liked this post
  6. 11-23-2020, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nads View Post
    I’m hoping this is what point pressing is though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses
    ... leeching

As far as I have understood what leeching vs. point-pressing to be, this would be classified as point pressing, not leeching, because of the following:

1. There is a maximum score you can get on this game of 9,340,500. Kill screen occurs after wave 48.
    2. There is a maximum time you can spend on one game. There is no such thing as a marathon for this title. You will always either run out of lives or reach the kill screen, no matter how perfect or imperfect you play.
    3. You do not gain lives faster than you expend them. It is not possible. The maximum points in one wave anyone can get and die on the same wave is 9,750.
    4. With every death, you are closer to your game being over than you were the at the previous death.
    5. It is impossible to gain 2 lives between deaths on the same wave.
    6. No matter how much and how good you point press, you are guaranteed to lose a life every 40th iteration of a round, eventually leading to game over, unless you pass wave 48.

Leeching would be if you were able to repeat the same board over and over without some sort of penalty, for as long as you want. The math on this title doesn't allow it even if you wanted to.

The maximum score you can get without point pressing (a perfect score, clearing all 48 waves and losing no lives) is 204,750, so any score ever achieved on this game that exceeds 204,750, including each one on this leaderboard, the player would have necessarily engaged in the same point pressing that I did, either intentionally or unintentionally, just not to the same extent.
    Thanks Ulisses Patriota, nads thanked this post
    Likes nads liked this post
  7. 11-23-2020, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    As far as I have understood what leeching vs. point-pressing to be, this would be classified as point pressing, not leeching, because of the following:

1. There is a maximum score you can get on this game of 9,340,500. Kill screen occurs after wave 48.
    2. There is a maximum time you can spend on one game. There is no such thing as a marathon for this title. You will always either run out of lives or reach the kill screen, no matter how perfect or imperfect you play.
    3. You do not gain lives faster than you expend them. It is not possible. The maximum points in one wave anyone can get and die on the same wave is 9,750.
    4. With every death, you are closer to your game being over than you were the at the previous death.
    5. It is impossible to gain 2 lives between deaths on the same wave.
    6. No matter how much and how good you point press, you are guaranteed to lose a life every 40th iteration of a round, eventually leading to game over, unless you pass wave 48.

Leeching would be if you were able to repeat the same board over and over without some sort of penalty, for as long as you want. The math on this title doesn't allow it even if you wanted to.

The maximum score you can get without point pressing (a perfect score, clearing all 48 waves and losing no lives) is 204,750, so any score ever achieved on this game that exceeds 204,750, including each one on this leaderboard, the player would have necessarily engaged in the same point pressing that I did, either intentionally or unintentionally, just not to the same extent.
    Thanks Garrett, I figured you did your homework!!

Accepted!!
  8. 11-23-2020, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    CORRECTION:

You are guaranteed to lose TWO lives every 40th iteration of a round, eventually leading to game over, or you pass wave 48, which initiates the kill screen.
  9. 11-23-2020, 09:20 PM
    That was .... purrrfect

Likes Garrett Holland, nads liked this post
  10. 11-23-2020, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    That was .... purrrfect

He's an åss. Don't let the cute face and whiskers fool ya. XD
    Likes nads liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us