Video Game Scores

1. 11-28-2020, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I couldn't find an example specific to video game scores, but here's one pertaining to the current ongoing presidential election debacle.

I guess that was just an illustrative example, but I thinks it's fair to point out that the 89.3% data point is the bogus part of the graph--not the election that it pretends to represent. That number was computed by (#ballots / #registered-voters), not the the typical (#ballots / #eligible-voters) that was used for the data points preceding the 89.3% in the graph. Wisconsin turnout was around 72.3% this year.
    Likes Foot0fGod liked this post
  2. 11-28-2020, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grinder2112 View Post
    I guess that was just an illustrative example, but I thinks it's fair to point out that the 89.3% data point is the bogus part of the graph--not the election that it pretends to represent. That number was computed by (#ballots / #registered-voters), not the the typical (#ballots / #eligible-voters) that was used for the data points preceding the 89.3% in the graph. Wisconsin turnout was around 72.3% this year.
    I have zero interest in discussing the election or politics in general. Ignore the numbers, bogus or not. It's just an example, nothing more.
    Likes grinder2112 liked this post
  3. 11-28-2020, 02:45 PM
    some of the thigns you mention TG doesnt do, it shouldnt do. Player of the century? we dont do, thats billy mitchel. Suing, again you dont see any member suing here, again, thats him. comparing first to do something with the moonlanding, yep billy mitchel (or maybe that was walter day) comparing how many people walked on the moon to how many got a perfect pacman, as if the low numbers is the only measurement of how difficult the feat was. so you're are right these things shouldnt be done but i think you're missing they're not done. in order to improve the current system you have to first know what it acutaly is. you cant find flaws to fix without first being familiar with the system which is why i earlier encouraged adjudication, so you can become familiar with these things.

as to your other point of a year contest, ah yes, there is a misconception people here do oftem make. difference between a "champion" and a "world record holder". world records are about all time, champions are about a current event. So you'd be right, we dont track champions, we track record holders, the only way to track champions would be with something simliar to what you're propsing.

really, theres a word for what you're proposing "tournament". I'd love to see TG have more tournaments.

Theres a big problem though with internet tournaments, its way to easy just to resubmit previous years footage.

the newest iteration of TG did have an event earlier on with multiple tournaments in it. There was also experimentation with a tournament feature. tournaments are a great idea, the problem has been the implementation.
    Lode Runner Champion
    Likes lexmark liked this post
  4. 11-28-2020, 02:50 PM
    oh there are mame tournaments advertised through here, and while not officially a tg tournament there is a pretty strong interaction if you're interested. for atari, atariage has tournaments and many of the tg atari players partake.

online tournaments arent really my thing, cause like i say if i'm filming and film stays around, i'd rather that just be my all time score. in person tournaments are great though, because of well, everything else. in person tournaments arent just about the tournemant, its an excuse to meet people, enjoy the lights and sounds. covid is gonna keep that down for a little while, but before, and i'm sure after there will be such opportunities again whether tg itself officially takes a roll in it or not.
    Lode Runner Champion
  5. 11-28-2020, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    some of the thigns you mention TG doesnt do, it shouldnt do. Player of the century? we dont do, thats billy mitchel. Suing, again you dont see any member suing here, again, thats him. comparing first to do something with the moonlanding, yep billy mitchel (or maybe that was walter day) comparing how many people walked on the moon to how many got a perfect pacman, as if the low numbers is the only measurement of how difficult the feat was. so you're are right these things shouldnt be done but i think you're missing they're not done. in order to improve the current system you have to first know what it acutaly is. you cant find flaws to fix without first being familiar with the system which is why i earlier encouraged adjudication, so you can become familiar with these things.

as to your other point of a year contest, ah yes, there is a misconception people here do oftem make. difference between a "champion" and a "world record holder". world records are about all time, champions are about a current event. So you'd be right, we dont track champions, we track record holders, the only way to track champions would be with something simliar to what you're propsing.

really, theres a word for what you're proposing "tournament". I'd love to see TG have more tournaments.

Theres a big problem though with internet tournaments, its way to easy just to resubmit previous years footage.

the newest iteration of TG did have an event earlier on with multiple tournaments in it. There was also experimentation with a tournament feature. tournaments are a great idea, the problem has been the implementation.
    Again, it's just an idea, and I really don't feel like arguing over semantics, take it or leave it. As for discussing specific players and the legitimacy of their scores, as in mentioning them by name, I'm not going there.
    Last edited by Raven; 11-28-2020 at 03:16 PM.
  6. 11-28-2020, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Again, it's just an idea, and I really don't feel like arguing over semantics, take it or leave it. As for discussing specific players and the legitimacy of their scores, as in menintioning them by name, I'm not going there.
    i wasnt trying to argue the semantis as in nit picking, my point as that both things have their place. and wording leads to miscommuncaitoins. Maybe i misunderstood your point but i brought up champion/record holder because you seemed to be under the impression, not just by those semantics, but by the entire content that that was the goal of this place and we were getting it wrong. if you prefer i'll avoid those words all together and just reread my comment with all those words removed and replaced with whatever term you prefer. I definitely feel like theres alot of misunderstanding here, and as you can see i'm fine with misspelling and what not, and wrong terms where the point is clear, but when actual different concepts are conflated i think its worth distinguishing.

as for the names i only brought them up because you listed their actions and seemed to be saying thats what people here do. so while i agree we shouldnt be doing that, since we dont do that, i thought it was good to point out. you may not have mentioned anyone by name, but those actions are literally only done by one person. you may as well condemn the 45th president of the untied states and then say "but lets not name him". you laid out actions that clearly identify a singe person "video game player of the century" (which is in fact idenitfying a single person even if not by name) and seemed to imply thats a title Twin Galaxies has anything to do with and something we should get away from.

again totally possible i'm misreading you. i'm feeling like you completley misunderstand whats going on here, but the nature of miscommunications is that perhaps you perfectly understand and i just misunderstand your comments as misunderstanding.

if wording/semantics wont help clear up any miscommunications, perhaps examples would be better?
    Lode Runner Champion
  7. 11-30-2020, 05:02 PM
    My mind is officially blown, and in the context of recent "news", watching the following video seems very surreal. Things get especially interesting shortly after timestamp 01:06:20 and again at 01:32:58.

Last edited by Raven; 11-30-2020 at 09:20 PM.
  8. 11-30-2020, 05:21 PM
    oh nice i was just looking on twitch for that and it was set so that you had to be a subscriber to watch. I specifically was looking for it just because i think it does make the point jace most certaintly was not some billy hate, jace clearly had respect for billy.
    Lode Runner Champion
    Thanks Sammy thanked this post
  9. 11-30-2020, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    oh nice i was just looking on twitch for that and it was set so that you had to be a subscriber to watch. I specifically was looking for it just because i think it does make the point jace most certaintly was not some billy hate, jace clearly had respect for billy.
    I'm mainly interested in the "State of the Galaxies" videos because fragments of the backstory appear throughout the series, and perhaps to figure out what the heck they were thinking when they designed the "new" Twin Galaxies website, but I agree that no signs of disrespect are evident. It's kind of sad to watch really. There appeared to be so much optimism back then, yet look at how things turned out. Judging video games scores can be a dicey proposition, so if you want to get it right, just hire this guy.

Name:  judgedredd.0.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  99.1 KB
    Last edited by Raven; 12-01-2020 at 10:33 AM.
  10. 01-14-2021, 03:43 PM
    can someone help me with good multiplayer shooters for decent pc in 2021?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us