The History of Video Games

1. The History of Video Games

12-01-2020, 02:04 PM
    Ever since I can remember, I've been interested in the history of video games, and while Twin Galaxies is primarily focused on the players and their scores, I see things a bit differently. For me, the logic is simple. You can't have players without games, and you can't have scores without players. And more importantly, where did it all begin?

That being said, this thread is intended to serve as a place to post interesting video game history tidbits randomly scattered across the internet. Videos, pictures, news articles, blog posts, you name it. Recent gaming "news" is certainly compelling, but it tends to be very toxic, where I find history-related subjects to be a pleasant diversion. After all, video games are supposed to be fun, right?

Arcades also played a significant role in the history of video games, so to kick things off, here's a video about the history of Funspot, a place many of you may be quite familiar with.

Last edited by Raven; 12-02-2020 at 11:18 PM.
    Thanks JJT_Defender, Luigi Ruffolo thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender, Barthax, jesperoland liked this post
  2. 12-01-2020, 02:07 PM
    The following video explains the origins of Space Invaders, a video game that didn't quite turn out as planned.

Likes Garrett Holland liked this post
  3. 12-01-2020, 02:11 PM
    The following video explains the origins of Pac-Man, and it's influence on the gaming industry.

4. 12-01-2020, 02:48 PM
    The following video explains the famous Pac-Man kill-screen, or split-screen, which is caused by an integer overflow bug.

5. 12-01-2020, 02:58 PM
    The following video explains the Pac-Man ghost AI, which was designed to cause the ghosts to attack then scatter, thus giving the player a break from the tension of constantly being hunted down. This simple concept would go on to influence many games to come.

6. 12-01-2020, 03:23 PM
    The following video explains the origins of Tetris, a video game that was born behind the so-called "Iron Curtain" of the former Soviet Union during the cold war.

7. 12-01-2020, 04:18 PM
    The following video explains the origins of Punch-Out!!, a video game that was created to reduce a surplus of arcade game monitors. While it's not one of the most popular video games in history, Punch-Out!! is considered by many to be a timeless classic.

Last edited by Raven; 12-01-2020 at 04:48 PM.
  8. 12-01-2020, 04:44 PM
    The following video explains the origins of Donkey Kong Country. Having evolved from the original Donkey Kong arcade game, which was inspired by Popeye, Donkey Kong Country is considered by many to be a video game that was ahead if it's time.

9. 12-01-2020, 05:39 PM
    The following video explains the origins of Super Mario Bros. 3, which took the world by storm, and changed the course of video gaming history.

Last edited by Raven; 12-01-2020 at 06:06 PM.
  10. 12-01-2020, 07:45 PM
    The following video explains the origins of Doom, one of the original first-person shooters, where all hell breaks loose... on Mars.

Last edited by Raven; 12-01-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us