Game Boy / Game Boy Color - Top Gear Pocket - Grassland - Fastest Race - 02:58.68 - Kyle Nelson

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Game Boy / Game Boy Color - Top Gear Pocket - Grassland - Fastest Race - 02:58.68 - Kyle Nelson

12-19-2020, 10:22 AM
    vzaar-player

Grassland - Fastest Race
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=24048
    Rank
    Rules
    • Time Attack.
    • You may use any available levelled-up car.

Submission Message
    Run at 2:33. Boot up in the beginning. This game uses a password system to save progress so I used one, rules don't say you can't either. Thanks for watching.

Thanks Almighty Dreadlock, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Pixe Sukola, JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 12-20-2020, 02:59 AM
    Before I vote on your 6 submissions, I need some clarifying.

First off, I know and own this game (and its Japan only sequel) so I know it doesn't feature a battery save, and the only way you have to play all the stuff you unlocked is to enter a password the game gives you.

You rightfully state "This game uses a password system to save progress so I used one, rules don't say you can't either.", however in the general site's rules is clearly said that "The use of cheat codes, cheat devices, in-game codes and continues are disallowed as a general rule. The only exceptions to this rule are: Any game track/variation that explicitly overrides this general rule with its own rules governing the matter within its specific listed rule set.".

NOW:
    I fully understand your point, and I would have done exactly the same if I was submitting a score, but on the other side the rule can't be more clear: no in-game codes.

Shall we ask for an exception for these games?

P.S.:This issue involves me too, since I would like to bring some competition in this game, but if every time I have to go through the entire game, it's not worth it.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender, Excelliron liked this post
  3. 12-20-2020, 04:10 AM
    I see no problem at all with using passwords or cheat codes to unlock tracks or cars. Voting Yes!

Great quality in your videos BTW, they look great!
    Daniel Ocampo
    Tomena Sanner
    Champion and JJT lover (not in that way).
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  4. 12-20-2020, 06:03 AM
    You see no problem, but I think my concern is legitimate: the general rules are clear, and John Brissie said "A few recording notes on this title: The game powers on with 3 courses available and it does not save any progress. To get to the other courses I had to go through some championships to unlock them because passwords can't be used since they are not explicitly allowed in the rules." when he did upload his run.

Again, I'm not saying Kyle's run is invalid, I just wish there was more clarity about the "no in-game codes" rule.

While I recognize it's a monumental pain in the back to go through an entire championship to unlock a car, I think the rule, as it's written to this day, specifically prohibits the usage of the "unlock all" password.

And this is wrong.

Do you get my point?
    Thanks Pixe Sukola, JJT_Defender thanked this post
  5. 12-20-2020, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazz1983ita View Post
    You see no problem, but I think my concern is legitimate: the general rules are clear, and John Brissie said "A few recording notes on this title: The game powers on with 3 courses available and it does not save any progress. To get to the other courses I had to go through some championships to unlock them because passwords can't be used since they are not explicitly allowed in the rules." when he did upload his run.

Again, I'm not saying Kyle's run is invalid, I just wish there was more clarity about the "no in-game codes" rule.

While I recognize it's a monumental pain in the back to go through an entire championship to unlock a car, I think the rule, as it's written to this day, specifically prohibits the usage of the "unlock all" password.

And this is wrong.

Do you get my point?
    The general rule was set to prevent people from using cheat codes that would affect gameplay and give the player an advantage. This topic has been discussed before many times, the last time was a few weeks ago and John Brissie gave his opinion of not being ok with people unlocking cars or tracks if it wasn't explicitily written in the rules.

However, the vast majority of the comunity think differently and agreed that as long as you don't affect gameplay, you can unlock cars and tracks with codes even if it's not in the rules, and all the submissions that were in question were accepted and I'm almost sure the same is going to happen with these.

If John wants to take an unpractical, literal interpretation of the rules and unlock everything only by playing, that is his choice.
    Daniel Ocampo
    Tomena Sanner
    Champion and JJT lover (not in that way).
  6. 12-20-2020, 06:59 AM
    Merry Christmas and Happy New year's
    To solve this problem just create a new track that allows passwords to have access to theses cars & courses. The creation cost 10 submission points and 25 SP more fund and sponsor a total of 35 submission points.

And this is wrong.

Do you get my point?
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
  7. 12-20-2020, 07:26 AM
    My personal interpretation is that codes that alter gameplay are disallowed by the global rules. For example: extra lives, invincibility, start with all weapons, etc. Using a code to unlock additional courses in a racing game should be allowed.
  8. 12-20-2020, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixe Sukola View Post
    I see no problem at all with using passwords or cheat codes to unlock tracks or cars. Voting Yes!

Great quality in your videos BTW, they look great!
    Thanks man!! That's what the quality is after I've compressed the video down to about 1/8 of the size. I love my phones camera. Also, I brought this topic up in the new thread TG created about "Decisions" needing made. Just to throw this out there, there is another game I'm playing right now and submitting to that uses passwords as well, however there is no "Ultimate password" to unlock everything so I did have to unlock what I wanted on my own.

My stance on the matter on the matter as discussed by several of you already is that as long as the game play is not altered and whatever it is you unlock can be normally unlocked in the game, then passwords to unlock things are okay.
  9. 12-20-2020, 08:58 AM
    Ok then, now that the whole thing is more clear to my eyes (I'm still pretty new here on the site, bear with me), I'm going to cast a YES on all your 6 submissions regarding this game.
    Oh, and expect a challenge soon!
    Likes thegamer1185, Pixe Sukola liked this post
  10. 12-20-2020, 12:40 PM
    Oh, and expect a challenge soon!
    That's the idea!! Looking forward to it.
Join us