Atari 2600 / VCS - Break out - PAL - Game 5, Difficulty B (Points) - 223 - Alan Ashley

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari 2600 / VCS - Break out - PAL - Game 5, Difficulty B (Points) - 223 - Alan Ashley

01-03-2021, 11:54 AM
    vzaar-player

PAL - Game 5, Difficulty B (Points)
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=75916
    Rank

Rules
    Game 5, One-player game.
    Difficulty switch must be set to B position.
    Submission Message
    THIS GAME 5 I AM PUZZLED WITH, I CLEARED THE SCREEN , CLOCK. SAID 223, BUT ONLY BECAUSE I FELT ANOTHER SET OF BRICKS WOULD SHOW...CAN SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I OK WITH RECORD.

Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Garrett Holland, JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 01-04-2021, 01:41 AM
    Oh geeze. We have a problem with Game 5. This is NOT your fault, rather, the fault of the track creator(s).

Game 5 is a timed game. The object of Game 5 is to clear one wall of bricks in the shortest amount of time, which means that a lower score is actually better, because it is a faster time ... like a race.

The track creation is totally screwed up for two reasons:

1. It is not measured in "Points", rather, it is measured in "Seconds" like a speedrun.

2. Lower times are better.

Which leads to another issue, whoch kind of works out in your favor: You actually did *better* than 223. Your time when the last block was cleared was 200, whoch is 23 seconds better than the score you reported.

Here is what I would strongly recommend:

1. If you voted YES on this, your own submission, click the "UNVOTE" button, and then vote NO.

2. Ask the community to vote NO on your submission.

3. After this entry is rejected, you will get a submission point back and gain 3 credibility points.

4. At that time, I will put a request into TG admins to FIX this track. (yes, it needs to be changed ... there arent "Points" in this game. It's a timer.)

5. Resubmit this SAME video along with reporting a time of "200" *after* the track is fixed (may take a few days or a week).

Just my recommendation. Let me know how you wish to proceed.
    Thanks Luigi Ruffolo, Alantheace, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  3. 01-04-2021, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    Oh geeze. We have a problem with Game 5. This is NOT your fault, rather, the fault of the track creator(s).

Game 5 is a timed game. The object of Game 5 is to clear one wall of bricks in the shortest amount of time, which means that a lower score is actually better, because it is a faster time ... like a race.

The track creation is totally screwed up for two reasons:

1. It is not measured in "Points", rather, it is measured in "Seconds" like a speedrun.

2. Lower times are better.

Which leads to another issue, whoch kind of works out in your favor: You actually did *better* than 223. Your time when the last block was cleared was 200, whoch is 23 seconds better than the score you reported.

Here is what I would strongly recommend:

1. If you voted YES on this, your own submission, click the "UNVOTE" button, and then vote NO.

2. Ask the community to vote NO on your submission.

3. After this entry is rejected, you will get a submission point back and gain 3 credibility points.

4. At that time, I will put a request into TG admins to FIX this track. (yes, it needs to be changed ... there arent "Points" in this game. It's a timer.)

5. Resubmit this SAME video along with reporting a time of "200" *after* the track is fixed (may take a few days or a week).

Just my recommendation. Let me know how you wish to proceed.
    you made points that i also made here, we just saw these subs in different order
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...45-Alan-Ashley

the other sub i felt safe accepting since the fact the game was cleared means despite the track needing fixing his score was correct. for this track though, i'm inclined to agree that timing makes zero sense if you dont have to finish the game, pretty sure there is (should be) an implied rule of (must finish the game). so i probably agree with a reject here (i still have to say probably cause its entirely possible the track creators intention was stupid enough to let you play forever) but i'm abstaining until we get the rules updated clarified. please read my comments in the linked thread as well. i am stunned i never noticed this before
    Lode Runner Champion
    Thanks Garrett Holland, JJT_Defender thanked this post
  4. 01-05-2021, 09:56 PM
    Easy to have overlooked, imho. No NTSC equivalent track and first subs on these two tracks. Admin staff fixed the tracks (not all the way, but they're almost there).

Im voting no on this because of the 2 boards were cleared way before 224 seconds, and Im banking on the intent of the track should reflect the intent of the game programmers, who assumedly put their stamp of approval on the game manual which states the object of the two variations is to clear the board twice rather than stay alive for as long as possible.

VOTING NO.
    Thanks Alantheace, JJT_Defender thanked this post
  5. 01-05-2021, 11:47 PM
    I'm also voting no here.
  6. 01-06-2021, 08:00 AM
    Posting this for context:

Games 5 through 8 are "Timed", with 6, 7, and 8 having a extra feature, like "timed w/ catch", "timed w/ breakthru", and "timed w/ disappearing wall".

Per the manual:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210106-105609_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	423.4 KB 
ID:	122865
    Thanks Alantheace thanked this post
Join us