Stance on Arcade 1Up machines and WR Scores?

1. 01-07-2021, 10:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adolivxx View Post
    I just got an Arcade1up Pac-Man 8 in 1 cabinet that hangs on the wall for Christmas and I've been playing a lot of the Galaga (which is why I really wanted it) and I've been researching it as I've been into emulation for a long time.
    Apparently it uses some emulator named Moo and not MAME as I had thought and hoped. I've heard they hired some guy to work on it from the emulation scene and their version is closed source. It runs on what I think is essentially an Android... ARM processor if I'm not mistaken.

While the older version of my cabinet apparently ran a tiny bit slower than MAME and the arcade, in the newer version (the one I have) this has been fixed. However, as I said I have been playing a lot of Galaga and while it is 95% well-emulated, I have seen enemy fire just vanish as well as just appear out of nowhere. It doesn't happen often but it has happened enough (I've been playing A LOT, mind you) that I am certain that it happens. I've never had it happen in the arcade or on MAME and I've played those FAR more than I've yet played the arcade1up cabinet.

Also, you can't adjust any of the settings (dip switches) but it is set to the official settings. Also, I don't think they use the same ROM, the title screen says copyright BNEI instead of Namco.

So, idk. I think you should accept them because I have one but shots disappearing and appearing is a bit of a problem. It happens RARELY, mind you, but it DOES happen. Also, when your ship is captured, sometimes it will be mis-aligned with the enemy ship a tiny bit to the left when it is captured, but will be aligned when they fly back up to the top. Sometimes it happens vice-versa. It always happens but for all I know it might do the same thing in MAME or even in the arcade and I just never noticed it before.
    I don't think there is any question surrounding whether or not these machines should be accepted (it appears unanimous that they should), rather, it is *where* on the leaderboards they should be categorized. Im confident they'll be accepted when all is said and done, notwithstanding the glitches that you observed.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Snowflake, JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 01-07-2021, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    I don't think there is any question surrounding whether or not these machines should be accepted (it appears unanimous that they should), rather, it is *where* on the leaderboards they should be categorized. Im confident they'll be accepted when all is said and done, notwithstanding the glitches that you observed.
    this is why expert community member track members is such a strenght of tgsap. The track creator with experience can explicity allow any glitch that needs to be allowed
    Lode Runner Champion
    Likes Garrett Holland, JJT_Defender liked this post
  3. 01-07-2021, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    does this mean though you've abandoned the idea of merging anything except original?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    and if you've abandoned the idea of merging, i assumed the potential merge was the only reason to hold up the intellivision flashback dispute, will these be revisited now?
    Yes we will get to it.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
    Likes Snowflake, JJT_Defender liked this post
  4. 01-07-2021, 11:02 PM
    Hey all,

I have uploaded a few images to help out.

To @adolivxx concern, it seems for MvC 1, they are using the official USA Region ROM. This might be unique to Capcom roms though. I will say having played the Arcade original boards, they feel just about the same, but I don't exactly consider myself an expert. I don't know of any "glitches" that are used in the runs either.

As well, I have included an image of the location of the Arcade 1Up PCB, the Test Menu where you can change the game configurations, and what it generally looks like.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by JoelofTarth; 01-07-2021 at 11:20 PM.
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  5. 01-08-2021, 04:12 AM
    This is great.

I do think after all it would be better for visibility if Arcade1Up was its own platform. Frankly no difference as including it under Arcade platform with the identification that it's not original PCB (by labeling it Arcade1Up).

Thanks for the quick response Jace. I say pull the trigger. Now we just need to workshop the rules. It's easy to create a platform. It's hard to make good track rules that will stand the test of time as Arcade1Up evolves.
  6. 01-08-2021, 10:04 AM
    I agree; I think Arcade1Up needs it's own platform, that way it lessens any confusion instead of putting it in the Arcade category.

I have their counter-cabinet of Pacman, which came with Galaga. I also just got TMNT's cabinet in the post as well as the Street Fighter cabinet which I won at an arcade a couple years back, so would be eager to add in some records for these tracks!
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
    Likes bensweeneyonbass liked this post
  7. 01-09-2021, 12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy64 View Post
    I agree; I think Arcade1Up needs it's own platform, that way it lessens any confusion instead of putting it in the Arcade category.

I have their counter-cabinet of Pacman, which came with Galaga. I also just got TMNT's cabinet in the post as well as the Street Fighter cabinet which I won at an arcade a couple years back, so would be eager to add in some records for these tracks!
    The platform has been created. Please feel free to start adding the needed tracks. @SincerelyFranny can help with this.

Thank you!
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  8. 01-09-2021, 08:35 AM
    Just assembled and tested Turtles! My cabinets are ready!Name:  Cabinets.png
Views: 72
Size:  1.60 MB
  9. 01-12-2021, 05:09 PM
    I've been in the process of "upgrading" my pac-man 8-in-one with a Raspberry Pi running RetroPie and so I've recently been playing the ROM of Galaga that is posted here on MAME2003 Libertro or whatever it's called and I CAN say that it plays a little differently than the Galaga on the Arcade1up. Just a LITTLE, mind you; things like enemies coming onto the screen throwing shots when they don't on the other. If anything, the Arcade1up version seems like it might be a little bit harder. I also noticed that the enemy capturing your ship being off-center happens in MAME, too. That doesn't really affect the gameplay at all anyways, so whatever. :) Also, the timing feels a little bit different between the two versions; enough that it took me a second to re-adjust to playing on MAME to be able to properly shoot all the enemies as they come on the screen. This, I could chalk up to the Arcade1UP cabinet's display not being the same dimensions as the Galaga ROM on MAME. Arcade1up is a tiny bit smaller horizontally and more of a bit smaller vertically. All of this is nothing that should really matter.
    Since I posted about it last, I've had the Arcade1UP Galaga do some CRAZY stuff. Ships disappearing, MY shots disappearing, enemy shots glitching and moving horizontally... I had left Galaga on attract mode for a long while and it seems to me that perhaps the longer the ROM is running for, the more "glitches" happen. They don't seem to happen until at least level 10 or so and one game I played around level 24 they happened like 5 times on that level.

They truthfully are nothing major, as I can say that they have yet to actually affect my gameplay one way or the other. At least enemies don't just appear out of nowhere, lol. In any case, if you're going to make Arcade1Up its own category then it shouldn't matter. Frustratingly, I'm not good enough at Galaga to say what happens past level 30 or so; apparently Arcade1up has had other releases that crash once you reach a certain level so it could very well crash out at some higher level, since I'm sure they didn't playtest it past the first few levels.

However, if it doesn't crash at some point, it IS a quality version of Galaga.

Additionally, Arcade1up DOES make a dedicated Galaga cabinet and they may very well use a different emulator and/or rom on it, since if I remember correctly it is a generation 1 or 2 PCB.

@JoelofTarth - On your MvC cabinet, how exactly do you access the Test Menu? Did the original CPS2 Arcade board access it through dip switches? Or through the menus, somehow? I can't remember, it's been a while. Again, with the dedicated Galaga Arcade1up cabinet it might be different, but my 8-in-one has no way to access or change any of the game options in Galaga. Additionally, they skip the test sequence; idk if they altered the ROM or did it through their "MOO" emulator, but it's not that they simply don't display it because Galaga loads too quickly for it to just not be shown. It would be nice to have a way to change the dip switches but again, it's not critical; just something I'd like. :)
  10. 01-12-2021, 05:33 PM
    I'm glad to see that Arcade1up has been added as a category. Galaga, at least, should be easy enough to make the rules for, since you can't change the settings. :) Whenever you guys get Galaga added to the Arcade1up category I would like to submit a performance because I was testing my camera&tripod by recording myself playing Galaga and managed to beat my own high score on that play. Since I've not even managed to break 300,000 yet, it would be nice to be on the leaderboards for a quick moment before my paltry score gets trounced. :)

I'm interested to see what people are able to do on the Arcade1up version of Galaga; as I've said, I could swear that it's more difficult than the MAME version I'm used to playing. Also, there are times where you cannot avoid being killed; rather, I keep finding myself in situations where there is no possible avenue of escape from death. I'm curious whether this is the game being more difficult or just me not being good enough at the game.

(It's probably the latter, I know.)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us