Arcade - Spy Hunter - Points - 1,151,310 - Timothy Kinkead

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 01-24-2021, 04:19 PM
    Is their a tutorial video somewhere so I can do this? And if I have to do this, did all of the scorers from the 1980s have to do this? It seems like back then, a person's word carried more weight than now. Even from the record setting score, a person watched the record setting performance and called the score in to a judge. And didn't all of that occur during an era when there were some serious ethical questions about other record scores? I have yet to play my machine since that game...please direct me on how to access that screen and I will record and submit my doing so. But if this requires me to disassemble or possibly damage my machine, I do not want to do that.
  2. 01-24-2021, 04:32 PM
    Ok surely someone on this site can help you out. I've posted manuals, looked in MAME, I can't do much more to help out.

If you can open the coin door there is probably a simple switch called 'test' or 'service' to turn on that mode. Weather you turn on while no power or with power I do not know. This is not deep electronics skill exercise, it's a switch. I would always try with power off, I have no idea if switching will do something to the board if power is on.

Without this screen shown, how can you tell what mode you are on?
    Maybe you are on a REALLY hard mode and can turn it down and get a 9 mill score? <-----------????

You really need to know how to do this if you want to submit a valid score and have it adjudicated properly. Recording the whole game then the dipswitches (on the board) and setup screen is also good form if you want a smooth adjudication.
  3. 01-24-2021, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TJKinkead View Post
    Is their a tutorial video somewhere so I can do this? And if I have to do this, did all of the scorers from the 1980s have to do this? It seems like back then, a person's word carried more weight than now. Even from the record setting score, a person watched the record setting performance and called the score in to a judge. And didn't all of that occur during an era when there were some serious ethical questions about other record scores? I have yet to play my machine since that game...please direct me on how to access that screen and I will record and submit my doing so. But if this requires me to disassemble or possibly damage my machine, I do not want to do that.
    From what I can understand second hand and what is posted already in this thread in detail, Twin Galaxies had certain trusted tournaments which would have a referee, the tournament holder or referee (maybe one and same) would ensure the machines were set to correct settings. They would keep an eye or watch the games if possible, and certainly check the score at the end to record. Now it's extremely unlikely a ref would watch 12 hours of gameplay and that is where the contention comes into it, as well as 'was the settings correct?'

Sorry you are judged on possibly more stringent criteria now, but this is how we do it now so there is no doubt like with Pauls score.
    Focus on getting your great score over the line first.
  4. 01-24-2021, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sArcadeKid View Post

Without this screen shown, how can you tell what mode you are on?
    Maybe you are on a REALLY hard mode and can turn it down and get a 9 mill score? <-----------????

You really need to know how to do this if you want to submit a valid score and have it adjudicated properly. Recording the whole game then the dipswitches (on the board) and setup screen is also good form if you want a smooth adjudication.

This is VERY GOOD advice. In other words, you might get 10 million points and show the entire gameplay video here, and it still WON'T get passed because you didn't show the settings!

The link to the manual that was posted by 80sArcadeKid will tell you how to get to the settings screen.

john

5. 01-24-2021, 05:01 PM
    I found a PDF manual online with the previously shared chart ( http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARC...py%20Hunter%20[Parts%20&%20Operating]%20[English].pdf ). I have also got the key that I received when I purchased the game. I will try to access it tonight. Logically speaking, however, finding the settings after the fact are not proof of the settings I used when I played. What would prevent me, or anyone doing that, from moving the settings to a higher setting? I have not even turned it on since my last game, but no one really knows that but me. I'd make the logical argument that my two video clips constitute infinitely more physical evidence than any of the scores from the evidence because a viewer could look at my game and come to basic conclusions about the difficulty level I encountered. Unrecorded games from the 1980s have nothing more than character witnesses associated with controversy. I'll see what I can find.
    Likes 80sArcadeKid liked this post
  6. 01-24-2021, 05:17 PM
    There was a score from 2003 or 2004 that said video...how do I access one of those videos? Perhaps they are archived? I could just follow their procedure from their video to access the self test mode.
  7. 01-24-2021, 05:18 PM
    ... Logically speaking, however, finding the settings after the fact are not proof of the settings I used when I played. What would prevent me, or anyone doing that, from moving the settings to a higher setting? I have not even turned it on since my last game, but no one really knows that but me. I'd make the logical argument that my two video clips constitute infinitely more physical evidence than any of the scores from the evidence because a viewer could look at my game and come to basic conclusions about the difficulty level I encountered.
    Thanks for giving it a go. I couldn't just look at your game and come to a conclusion about the difficulty level, I don't know it well enough.

I think in a previous post I requested (and this come down to your honesty) that you get to that screen and take a photo without changing any settings. If you do this, that would be the assumed settings you played your game on, I have no idea if they reset each time you turn the machine on, but if that's the case you are probably sweet as you would be playing on the factory default. This is the reason we want submissions to show these settings and all game play in one video.

Trusting you wouldn't mess with the settings is something I would have to give, as this is all about trust (as it was back in the day with a referee and witnesses). So at this time I've watched enough videos of Paul describing the game, the culture of helping each other at the time to get better, read enough emails and replies around how the tournament were held to trust that Paul's score was valid. If evidence appeared that would counter this then a dispute would have to happen and the evidence presented to change that judgement, which could happen.

You may find your settings are incorrect, in which case you would tell/show us this and vote NO on your submission, this would also allow everyone else to vote no. Even with a no vote on your submission (not accepted) you would get credibility and build a reputation and trust within the community for the next submission with indisputable evidence! :)
  8. 01-24-2021, 05:20 PM
    There was a score from 2003 or 2004 that said video...how do I access one of those videos? Perhaps they are archived? I could just follow their procedure from their video to access the self test mode.
    That would be ideal! I've asked about if those videos have been digitised and available for viewing before but got no response. Maybe create a wall post about viewing old VHS/DVD submissions and admins may answer? Admins? :D
  9. 01-24-2021, 05:24 PM
    I will try to access it and will take a video of the process. I am awaiting my son who recorded me...his phone and can uploaded to my PC so I can post the video. The video will be posted as it is, with no editing or omissions...I do not want credit for something I didn't earn. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks 80sArcadeKid thanked this post
  10. 01-24-2021, 06:10 PM
    Video is forthcoming.....thanks for the expertise everyone. It was actually really easy...there was a test switch inside the coin lock...clearly marked test.
    Likes lexmark, 80sArcadeKid, Fly liked this post
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Join us