Different rules for the same game??

1. Different rules for the same game??

02-12-2021, 03:07 AM
    I know I am still pretty new here and I try not to question too much but I have noticed that there is two different sets of rules for the "same game".

I say the "same game" because I am not sure that there is any difference from one to the other but the rules for Shadow Dancer on the sega genesis clearly state 5 lives only.

Now on the PS2 under the genesis collection for shadow dancer the 5 lives rule does not exist. Is there a legit reason for this or was it an oversight?

Just curious because it can and will influence what version of the game I and other may play.
    Thanks Pixe Sukola thanked this post
  2. 02-12-2021, 03:46 AM
    This is probably due to two different referees creating the tracks. Play the one that suits you the most, or play both and get ESI and the WR for both, double the fun.
    Daniel Ocampo
    Tomena Sanner
    Champion and JJT lover (not in that way).
    Thanks Whilethekidsareaway thanked this post
    Likes Whilethekidsareaway, Barthax liked this post
  3. 02-12-2021, 06:48 AM
    Definitely a different generation of referee. TG has gone through different aims in the past. The early years had aims of "iron man" achievements with stitching scores from multiple games, etc. The early 2000s was of "easiest settings" for largest inclusion yet the Vs. Fighters of early 2000s were the opposite with "hardest settings". Early-mid 2000s was of aims at limiting game play to methods that might be best suited to live competitions (limited lives) and not marathons & you'll see far more verbose rules in the 8-bit & 16-bit rules for this aim - also the era of identifying and explicitly banning lots of tactics (& bye-bye speed-runners). Mid-late 2000s slackened off with "however people want to play" & refs would take input from gamers - too many games were massive by then and TG had long fallen behind the curve of supporting the latest games, so getting light weight rules up onto the scoreboard ready for submission was better than a block because a ref hadn't got the time or money to buy & test.
Join us