- Robert T Mruczek

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. - Robert T Mruczek

02-14-2021, 11:02 PM
    Open question - what is the first video game ever, whether arcade or home console, that had background music as you played ? Further, same question but in terms of different background music depending on what level/stage you were playing within the game ?

OK, talking it through, let's work backwards and see how far we get.

Arcade 1980 - "Rally X" had background music, the same for every stage (also "Carnival" thanks to "Wwdkong")
    Arcade 1981 - "Fantasy" had background music which varied for certain stages
    EDIT - Arcade 1983 - "Journey" is the 1st game with licensed music (thanks, John !!)

So, for the two questions above, in terms of games released in an earlier year (I'm not so concerned with the absolute earliest by month/day, the year will suffice)...which titles precede each ?

Again, arcade or home console, but would be interested in having an earliest selection for both. Thanks !!

Robert
    Last edited by RTM; 02-15-2021 at 04:31 AM.
    Likes GregDeg, wwdkong liked this post
  2. 02-14-2021, 11:15 PM
    Arcade game called Sheriff (Bandido) was released in 1979.

Technically it does have background music, but calling it music is a matter of opinion.

Likes RTM liked this post
  3. 02-15-2021, 04:26 AM
    [QUOTE=GregDeg;1110722]Arcade game called Sheriff (Bandido) was released in 1979.

Technically it does have background music, but calling it music is a matter of opinion.

Hi GregDeg:

I am familiar with this one (aka "Bandido")...thought of it last night as well and came to the same conclusion...the sounds attributed in the background are more "moseying" sounds and one specific soundset that comes when the bird approaches. The tempo changes when the board reaches near the end, but it's not a true musical score. Good thinking, though :)
    Likes GregDeg liked this post
  4. 02-14-2021, 11:17 PM
    And speaking of video game music....

5. 02-15-2021, 12:40 AM
    I think I once read somewhere that the arcade game JOURNEY was the first game to have licenced music in it?

john

Thanks RTM thanked this post
  6. 02-15-2021, 02:46 AM
    I'd say Space Invaders (~July 1978) & Asteroids (~November 1979) were impressive in that they had borderline or partial music, very simple bass lines, no upper melody, but made these 2 great games even cooler by making them more atmospheric.

edit added: yes Greg, Sheriff (~October 1979), Carnival (~June 1980), Rally-X (~November 1980), Indian Battle (~1980, cringe).
    Last edited by wwdkong; 02-15-2021 at 04:53 AM.
    Likes Luigi Ruffolo, RTM liked this post
  7. 02-15-2021, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wwdkong View Post
    I'd say Space Invaders (~July 1978) & Asteroids (~November 1979) were impressive in that they had borderline or partial music, very simple bass lines, no upper melody, but made these 2 great games even cooler by making them more atmospheric.

edit added: Carnival (~June 1980).

RTM REPLY - thanks...Carnival would definitely be up there with "Rally X" from 1980 as co-owner of that stat (unless an earlier candidate is found). Agree..."Space Invaders" is not true music so is considered "partial music" much like "Sheriff"
    Likes wwdkong liked this post
  8. 02-15-2021, 06:09 AM
    theres definitley gonna grey areas where enough sound effects can start to approach the level of art and even be considered music. might be forced to go with the rule it was to be ports of songs, like with joureny, in order to avoid the grey area. also what about just quick bars of music for a power up or level completion? how many notes do you need before its considered music and not just an alarm? plenty of games have quick little tunes at key points. This is probably a tougher question to answer than it first sounds due to all the grey area
    Lode Runner Champion
  9. 02-15-2021, 04:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
    I think I once read somewhere that the arcade game JOURNEY was the first game to have licenced music in it?

john

That's great to know, John !! I'm adding what you said to my initial post as a definitive fact.
Join us