Dispute: John McAllister - M.A.M.E. - Track & Field - Javelin. Furthest distance. - Player: paul kearns - John P McAllister

Is this a valid dispute?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll
  1. Dispute: John McAllister - M.A.M.E. - Track & Field - Javelin. Furthest distance. - Player: paul kearns - John P McAllister

04-08-2021, 03:36 PM
    M.A.M.E. - Track & Field - Javelin. Furthest distance.
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=212589
    Rank

Rules
    ROMSet: TrackFld.Cabinet: Upright.Difficulty: Normal.All other dips can be defaults, or whatever you like. It makes no difference to a single event.Good luck !Boot up must be shown. When the event is over, you can end the recording or carry on playing.
    Player Name
    paul kearns
    Original Adjudication
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php?t=181648
    Verification Method
    TGSAP
    Verification Date
    2019-01-29
    Disputed Score
    100 (Rank 1)
    Disputed By
    redelf
    Dispute Evidence / Rationale
    Score is incorrect, player submitted a score that the game doesn't recognize.
    The player never received credit or points for this.
    The computer said it was 0.12 meters not 100.12 meters.

I don't know of any circumstance where an individual can say something different than what the game says or shows us.
  2. 04-08-2021, 03:59 PM
    As a follow up to this obviously invalid dispute, are you going to assert that no one can claim a 3,333,360 point Pac Man score, because the game doesn't display the millions?
    Thanks Fly thanked this post
    Likes starcrytas, Fly, Fordy, Blackflag82 liked this post
  3. 04-09-2021, 07:38 AM
    Just because the computer rolls over at the 100 mark doesn't mean it's not a valid score.
    Lauren Tyler
    Eternal Champion of Ragol
    Thanks Fly thanked this post
    Likes Fly liked this post
  4. 04-10-2021, 09:27 AM
    With this logic you'd be tied for 1st place on Asteroids with tens of thousands of people at 99k.
    If you need me, I'll be on the 7th floor. No Mames. No steering wheels.
  5. 04-10-2021, 09:50 AM
    i'm abstaining just like i did in the original thread, but i do think johns point is at least a little more solid than i initially realized.

the difference between the asteroids analogy fly gives, and the earlier examples i gave in the thread, is those games really do continue. This game considers that to be a foul. so if you're playing the game, and your goal is to do all the events (spirit of the game i think is all events not just one) then people playing that fashion are going to try to refrain from going too high since that will disquality the longer game.

granted this is for a single event, and the real life event its trying to simulate it would make zero sense to put in a score cap. BUT if we remember this is one event of many in a video game, and playing that video game all the way through punishes you for doing this, then that means by allowing this, then the best tactic for this event for this track is different than the best tactic for this event as part of the marathon.

usualy when you pull out a single part of a game, like a single race, single event, single battle, its just because people can be better at one event and worse at another, but at least the best event/lap/battle in a marathon game or event only run, is determined by the same metrics. i think thats whats key and makes me really think hard on john's complaint. people playing the game all the way through, are supposed to handle this event one way to avoid DQ, whereas people playing this just event actually try to get DQed for a better score.

All that stated, of course flys opinion carries a lot of weight. I really am left abstaining, i just think this is a more interesting/complex point that it initially appears
    Lode Runner Champion
    Likes wwdkong, starcrytas liked this post
  6. 04-10-2021, 12:55 PM
    The purpose of the track is for furthest distance in this one event. This is a different track than highest score over all the events. IMO, we can't apply the way the game is played over the whole game to the way it is played for a single event unless the rules indicate as much...the spirit of a game based on distance is to achieve the longest distance possible while the track for highest score is for exactly that...score.

Again, this goes back to a point I mentioned in the thread which spawned this dispute which is - if I throw 10 meters and cannot advance with that throw does that mean I can't submit my throw because I failed to advance? Of course not.

Finally, I don't think that a game's ability to recognize a performance in a certain way should come into play...can the folks adjudicating reasonably determine the final score/distance/time despite what the game "registers"? If the answer is yes, then I'm not sure why a score like this wouldn't be valid?
    Likes wwdkong liked this post
  7. 04-10-2021, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    This game considers that to be a foul.
    Not sure how you got to this conclusion. The game never said "FOUL". It's a fair throw that had the distance roll over.

If the toss goes 170 meters it will still qualify as 70 meters and the game would advance to the next level. A foul can not do that.

And here's a longer toss than his just for fun.
    If you need me, I'll be on the 7th floor. No Mames. No steering wheels.
    Thanks Snowflake thanked this post
  8. 04-10-2021, 04:57 PM
    I’m confirming this and matthews current long jump which I think did fowl

I thought John disputed this cause this was being cited as a precedent for that, thx for the correction

in that case yeah , dispute invalid
    Lode Runner Champion
  9. 04-10-2021, 04:57 PM
    Confusing not confirming dang autocorrect
    Lode Runner Champion
Join us