1. ZX Spectrum - Renegade - PAL - Points - 125,300 - Ian Cullen

04-21-2021, 12:17 PM
    vzaar-player

PAL - Points
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=21349
    Rank

Rules
    Player may choose the controls within the confines of the game. The settings are otherwise unchangeable.The recording may come from any of the known (re-)releases whose publishers include:
    • Imagine Software Ltd
    • Erbe Software S.A.
    • The Hit Squad

Submission Message
    My first ZX Spectrum submission, I hope I've done everything correctly!

2. 04-21-2021, 12:37 PM
    Hi Ian,

Alas, this one's an easy No vote as you've submitted an emulated run to an original-only track. This game simply doesn't (yet) have an emulated track & you'll unfortunately find many of the emulated tracks I set up back in the 2000s were deleted by the TG of the
    2011-13 era. :( (Long story, not worth repeating). Good thing is the emulated tracks are welcome again & it can be created with the will of the submitters.

It's definitely worth looking at several emulated ZX Spectrum submissions. Luigi & myself have submitted a bunch with the Spectaculator emulator and you'll notice that we go through the menus to best identify the environment of the emulator. The ZX Spectrum was widely expandable and some cheat systems are in there: if you cover all dialogues, you can't be blamed for missing that is later found "essential" to prevent future disputes. :)

General advice:
    If you can find a tape version of the game (.tap or .tzx typically - most games were on tape), have the tape dialogue open to show the game loading.
    Don't use snapshot formats (.z80 / .sna and others) as these could be pre-cheated & just leaves a doubt - much like using the Save State format of MAME.

Love the run, BTW. :D Renegade was one of the first Beat'em Ups I'd experienced and so wanted to be good at it but always sucked!
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Thanks Pixe Sukola, Luigi Ruffolo thanked this post
  3. 04-21-2021, 01:38 PM
    None of this is made clear anywhere, unless I'm missing something? I checked the rules first and there's no mention of any of this!

Regardless, so if I set up my real Spectrum and take a video of me playing the game - that's valid, right? Are there any other gotchas that I need to be aware of that could invalidate the submission? I have a Compact Flash loader that loads the games far quicker than tape, would that be a problem?

Thanks for any clarification.
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  4. 04-21-2021, 02:16 PM
    Correct, if you use original hardware you should be good.

Aside from each games particular rules there is also a set of general rules, such as no pausing, the need to show a submission in its entirety,showing original hardware, entrance through TGSAP, etc

VOTING NO, due to use of emulation on a track that calls for original hardware.

I hope this don't discourage you. I look forward to seeing more of your submissions.
  5. 04-21-2021, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mappy24 View Post
    None of this is made clear anywhere, unless I'm missing something? I checked the rules first and there's no mention of any of this!

Regardless, so if I set up my real Spectrum and take a video of me playing the game - that's valid, right? Are there any other gotchas that I need to be aware of that could invalidate the submission? I have a Compact Flash loader that loads the games far quicker than tape, would that be a problem?

Thanks for any clarification.
    There's lots of modern ways to load the game rapidly on the real hardware and, unless the method changes the game (same as almost every other "Everdrive"-similar device) then it'll probably be acceptable. I've got an Arduini fake tape device, for example. The same advice about sticking to tapes/disks images for the a real Speccy: avoid snapshot images of the .Z80 / .SNA / .SLT variety. https://worldofspectrum.org/faq/refe...rmats.htm#File
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  6. 04-21-2021, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mappy24 View Post
    Just in case you haven't spotted it before, the general rules are available at https://www.twingalaxies.com/wiki_in...-TG-Guidelines . In here you'll find the rules about using only original hardware, for example.

If you browse the scoreboard you'll find older platforms tend to use some prefixes for tracks:
    NTSC - 60Hz TV standard consoles.
    PAL - 50Hz TV standard consoles.
    EMU - emulators.

If the track doesn't specify a prefix then it's one of two possibles:
    - It's a MAME track & therefore only emulated but even here there's a heavy preference for WolfMAME and also the need to record INP files.
    - It's original hardware only. Original console is a must but third-party loading peripherals are often used: the primary (buit not only) need for those is that the console still thinks its loading from original media.

Most of these additional things would have been catered for by the old referee structure. These days it's "in the minds of the community"... and that evolves over time.

Hope that helps without being too lecture-ish. :)
    Thanks Garrett Holland thanked this post
  7. 04-22-2021, 01:22 AM
    Thanks Barthax thanked this post
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  8. 04-22-2021, 01:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi Ruffolo View Post
    Thanks... Done. :D
Join us