Arcade - Hydro Thunder - Arctic Circle [Fastest Race] - 01:37.25 - Joshua Francis

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

    This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 05-11-2021, 03:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBFcrasher View Post
    I am more than happy to show the settings each time I am making attempts, I had at the start of doing my runs when I got my time, I had just not hit record at that point, just had hit the stream button. I am curious though, do the difficulties actually make a difference to the run times in Hydro Thunder? From what the manual says it just modifies the AI boats, but those can be disabled with the button combo when selecting a boat, and modifies the time available to the player before it times out.
    Welcome to Twin Galaxies, Joshua. :D

    I'm a long-term Hydro Thunder fan (many of my times are dire) but never seen an Arcade version in person yet. :(

    Anyway, I'm curious what you mentioned about the button combo when selecting the boat disables something. What is it that gets disabled? I noticed they're not in this run - so you're using a cheat code to make the game easier? :(

    The thing about the settings is: even if something is currently unknown, if you show your settings to be the same as the rules you are successfully defending your score about those future unknowns. :D
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  2. 05-11-2021, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Welcome to Twin Galaxies, Joshua. :D

    I'm a long-term Hydro Thunder fan (many of my times are dire) but never seen an Arcade version in person yet. :(

    Anyway, I'm curious what you mentioned about the button combo when selecting the boat disables something. What is it that gets disabled? I noticed they're not in this run - so you're using a cheat code to make the game easier? :(
    If you hold down the Pilot camera and Low camera buttons then push the throttle to reverse on the boat select screen it turns the AI off for a time trial type mode. I didn't see anything in the rules saying one way or the other so I assumed it was fine to do since you have to do a similar thing to unlock the bonus track of Hydro Speedway, or any of the four Bonus boats.

    The thing about the settings is: even if something is currently unknown, if you show your settings to be the same as the rules you are successfully defending your score about those future unknowns. :D
    I was just wondering if there were any known differences, or if it was more of a "just in case" kind of thing. I really don't mind doing it, pretty much just curious
    Thanks Barthax, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Barthax, JJT_Defender liked this post
  3. 05-11-2021, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBFcrasher View Post
    If you hold down the Pilot camera and Low camera buttons then push the throttle to reverse on the boat select screen it turns the AI off for a time trial type mode. I didn't see anything in the rules saying one way or the other so I assumed it was fine to do since you have to do a similar thing to unlock the bonus track of Hydro Speedway, or any of the four Bonus boats.

    Two aspects:
    - Enforced rule: The Global Guidelines prohibit them: https://www.twingalaxies.com/wiki_in...l-Submissions& ... unless the track itself specifically permits certain activities (the unlocking of the track, for example with Hydro Speedway implies the use is permitted).
    - Community understanding: When it comes to consoles, unlock codes have been used for years & once the game is saved, there's no evidence the unlock code was ever used. So simple unlock codes are often overlooked.

    When you combine the two with the additional knowledge that the community can create tracks: anything's possible & the community just has to create a track for it. So your run is superb but falls foul on this track (for example). Doesn't mean it hasn't got a place on the scoreboard but it just isn't created yet. ;)


    Quote Originally Posted by JBFcrasher View Post
    I was just wondering if there were any known differences, or if it was more of a "just in case" kind of thing. I really don't mind doing it, pretty much just curious
    In terms of getting your score onto the scoreboard: it's down to the audience human factor - it's a bunch of humans voting & many won't vote (they'll abstain) if the settings can't be confirmed and some will actively vote no if they can't confirm them.

    Once the score is on the scoreboard, then it's really about defending against the unknown. As new knowledge comes along (seems unlikely, I know) then did you tick the boxes to prevent suspicions... I know this isn't the case but say there was a revival of a bunch of arcade machines using hacked PC hardware instead of original boxed Hydro Thunder (at its core it's a PC...) then showing the internals in your evidence would defend it. Or.. if certain AI settings combined caused a problem in the code which resulted in faster boats. Showing that in your evidence confirms your run matched the expectations of the day.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes RedDawn, JJT_Defender liked this post
  4. 05-11-2021, 06:34 PM
    Ok, yea unfortunately as Barthax said in so many words, this would be against the rules for this track.
    You'd have to play with other vehicles, with AI, etc.

    VOTING NO on this one, but like I said I look forward to your Hydro Thunder submissions now that you're a little more familiar with the rules.


    After you're a little more established and have some submission points built up you COULD create time-trial-like tracks for this game where that code is allowed, but on these tracks that are already set up that wouldnt be allowed.
    Thanks JJT_Defender, Garrett Holland thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  5. 05-12-2021, 11:14 PM
    Well I ended up getting a PB better than this one that fixed the issues I had with this one.
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  6. 05-13-2021, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBFcrasher View Post
    Well I ended up getting a PB better than this one that fixed the issues I had with this one.
    Excellent! I would suggest that you also vote no on your own submission here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Join us