Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - 1,272,800 - Robbie Lakeman

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 06-09-2021, 10:54 AM
    I believe Robbie thinks he is trying to slip something by us here and at DKF. As if to be cheeky or a troll or whatever. The thing is this - he's probably not slipping anything by. He makes a point to show the voltage then makes a point to omit the sound. The run is still very likely legitimate but we don't have a full evidence video. He may even think he's cheating and getting away with it, but he's probably not. Robert F mentioned that there would be sprite issues if the voltage was so far out that it was affecting the operation of the machine. Maybe there are sound issues at certain variances and sprite issues at greater variances. Maybe the "voltage affects RNG" concept is a mere fabrication.

This is why I think it's proper to abstain. This is not a forthright submission. Let it sit here.
  2. 06-09-2021, 10:57 AM
    I believe Robbie's score is 100% legit and have no reason to believe a voltage of 4.7 would cause a change in RNG. There are a variety of reasons why, but the main one is that the voltage would have to specifically influence the memory address responsible for the RNG timer and nothing else in order to directly influence the randomness. On top of that, it would have to only occur on the barrel boards and no other stage according to Robbie's testimony. It would be nice if the video had sound, but there's nothing in the video itself that indicates direct cheating. With all of that said, I congratulate Robbie on his achievement.

Name:  162326478979543922.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  92.2 KB
    However, Robbie believes that he is cheating using this method, as shown in the above image describing hardware manipulation. Admitting to attempting (whether successful or not) to gain an advantage through hardware modification is very dubious with regards to the competitive spirit. Robbie is no stranger to violations of the competitive spirit given the images he currently has on his streamed games, or his ban from Kong League for harassment of league members and perceived homophobic comments. It is sad that the best player in the world chooses to represent hate considering how different things used to be.

It is very clear why Robbie chose to submit to both Donkey Kong Forum and Twin Galaxies -- Places that he views as utterly abhorrent: He wants to prove a point. He knew that the score would be rejected (at least on DKF) based on his actions and public comments, and this will make him a martyr in his own circle.

Bravo.
    Donkey Kong: 1,116,400
    Thanks bensweeneyonbass thanked this post
    Likes John73, ersatz_cats, Barra liked this post
  3. 06-09-2021, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by expandedidea View Post
    I believe Robbie's score is 100% legit and have no reason to believe a voltage of 4.7 would cause a change in RNG. There are a variety of reasons why, but the main one is that the voltage would have to specifically influence the memory address responsible for the RNG timer and nothing else in order to directly influence the randomness. On top of that, it would have to only occur on the barrel boards and no other stage according to Robbie's testimony. It would be nice if the video had sound, but there's nothing in the video itself that indicates direct cheating. With all of that said, I congratulate Robbie on his achievement.

However, Robbie believes that he is cheating using this method, as shown in the above image describing hardware manipulation. Admitting to attempting (whether successful or not) to gain an advantage through hardware modification is very dubious with regards to the competitive spirit. Robbie is no stranger to violations of the competitive spirit given the images he currently has on his streamed games, or his ban from Kong League for harassment of league members and perceived homophobic comments. It is sad that the best player in the world chooses to represent hate considering how different things used to be.

It is very clear why Robbie chose to submit to both Donkey Kong Forum and Twin Galaxies -- Places that he views as utterly abhorrent: He wants to prove a point. He knew that the score would be rejected (at least on DKF) based on his actions and public comments, and this will make him a martyr in his own circle.

Bravo.
    can you elaborate on the phrase "direct cheating" as that implies "indirect cheating" exists. I've accused former refs of indirect cheating if they're scores are legit but they remove scores of people better, there are ways to cheat by playing legit but sabotaging your opponent. however, without refs robbie cant do anything like that, so i'm trying to understand what indirect cheating could possible happen at TGSAP
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
  4. 06-09-2021, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by expandedidea View Post

Bravo.
    I think he's being sarcastic.....
    Likes OzSteve liked this post
  5. 06-09-2021, 11:01 AM
    @expandedidea you said everything way better but I was totally thinking the opposite - he was trying to get it accepted not expecting it to get rejected. No matter what he expects, though, he's in a winning position. Martyr if rejected, Beater-Of-The-System if accepted. Ok I have nothing else to add I'll just grab the popcorn and wait now.
  6. 06-09-2021, 11:03 AM
    I can assure you, he's not being sarcastic. He has vehemently defended his position that this affects the game play all over the place.
    Likes datagod, ersatz_cats liked this post
  7. 06-09-2021, 11:05 AM
    Just a side note: In that screenshot, Robbie mentions that Duke encouraged this cheating method somehow. Duke is NOT PLEASED with this association from my conversations with him, and I want it to be clear that Duke wants nothing to do with this non-sense.
    Likes ersatz_cats liked this post
  8. 06-09-2021, 11:07 AM
    i can verify offsite robbie has said it seriously, but that doesnt mean he thinks hes cheating. he thinks other people are doing it, thinks its allowed and so he should be able to as well. not that what someone says offsite should matter. it shouldnt matter if hes a martyr or hero or villian. This is twin galaxies, not some clique site, we approve based on the score not behavior. My goodness, rudy was getting scores accepted just fine, i think we proved enough of us put our feelings aside and vote the right way with him. I've voted down friends voted up people i clash with and the same has happened to me. not gonna lie, i do suspect theres plenty of bias and all these offsite ramifications and heck yeah i'm watching it and drawing conclusions or just feeling validated about my prior concluisons of peoples ethics, but none of that should effect the vote, and if it does, then it just means tg slipped back to its old ways.
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
    Thanks Whilethekidsareaway thanked this post
  9. 06-09-2021, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    can you elaborate on the phrase "direct cheating" as that implies "indirect cheating" exists. I've accused former refs of indirect cheating if they're scores are legit but they remove scores of people better, there are ways to cheat by playing legit but sabotaging your opponent. however, without refs robbie cant do anything like that, so i'm trying to understand what indirect cheating could possible happen at TGSAP
    I don't think I used the term "direct cheating", well, directly. But if I were to describe it, indirect cheating would be unknowingly using a method to gain an unfair advantage, versus direct cheating would be cheating with purpose and intent. Intent does matter, as we all know. In this case, Robbie seems to have had intent.
    Likes bensweeneyonbass liked this post
  10. 06-09-2021, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    whats a bigger rules violatoini? not playing on proper setting or not recording sound.
    Both actions demonstrate contempt and disrespect for the audience and other players. No need for it!

I'll so far give Lakeman the benefit of the doubt and think a mistake has been made by no sound showing. If he actuall meant to leave the sound out then yes it would be a NO vote from me for the reasons stated above.

john

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Join us