Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - 1,272,800 - Robbie Lakeman

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 06-09-2021, 07:35 PM
    I voted accept.

Robbie has clearly demonstrated over the course of his entire Donkey Kong career that he posses world class ability at this game. Just because he has shown attempts where he has played around with the voltages to test the RNG (there still is proof over a large sample size that this manipulation even does any thing) doesn't mean this score isn't legitimate.

This reminds me of the Wiebe situation where he had scores DQed because of his "association" with Roy Schildt even though there was nothing to prove his scores were illegitimate.

If somehow it's proven voltages do affect the RNG, then I can understand questioning the score at least in that context.
    Craig Rout Gallant

Current verified TG WRs: 58

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/CraigARG
    MAME World Records channel: http://www.youtube.com/MAMEWorldRecords
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  2. 06-09-2021, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    THX kelly! this inspired me to look at your other subs. on this one you shared people could argue they didnt know and blind voted or whatever, but check out this one
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...BrJIlgNZGWetAc
    @Hermarai000 is the first comment and immediately comments on sound, proceeds to check out board and decides its fine @trivia212005 decides to abstain @redelf says it all checks out which then changes trivia's mind to accept @Muerto accepts

no further comments, no criticims and it closes fine with people fully aware of the lack of sound. Tagging those members as they're the only ones previously that vocalized their acceptance of a known no sound video
    Maybe he finally figured out that ppl was fed up with his constant moaning, and turned the sound off?

The 2 games you compare, is light years apart, so of course a new WR is scrutinized even more than an 88k game.

In regards to the new tracks you purpose, I think that's a bad idea - what will be next? a new track for ppl that uses left hand vs. uses the right hand on the joystick? - bring it!
  3. 06-09-2021, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerto View Post
    Maybe he finally figured out that ppl was fed up with his constant moaning, and turned the sound off?

The 2 games you compare, is light years apart, so of course a new WR is scrutinized even more than an 88k game.

In regards to the new tracks you purpose, I think that's a bad idea - what will be next? a new track for ppl that uses left hand vs. uses the right hand on the joystick? - bring it!
    well yes i understand people look deeper into a wr (i personally which all these were examined as deeply but i know they arent). however, when the game with less scrutiny happens to stumble on the same info then shouldnt it be treated the same? its not like you guys missed it in kellys. its not a matter of kelly getting less scruity, he in fact got the same scrutiny, the same issue was noticed and it was deemed fine. This isnt a matter of less effort was spent examining kelly, this is a matter of it was known he did the same and it was deemed fine. Are the rules themselves (not the effort in veriyng the rules but the rules themselvles) less strict for lower scores? Maybe the rules section should be updated with what the rules are for players under a million versus what the rules are for people over?

as for your question about track, yes, if anyone wants to reject a score over someone being right handed and i think i can find a compromise by letting people have a left handed track then i'll go for that. fortunately things havent gotten that ridiculous.....yet

i certainly dont think robbies score should be erased from history. some of the reasons i've seen for reject i respect some i dont. I wont cry injustice if its rejected as i'll have to give the community the benefit of the doubt the majority did it for the right reason, but at the same to preserve the score, heck yeah, i'll confirm with robbie but if he'd want his score preserved and creating a track is the only way i'll make it.

seems kinda of contradictory to reject on grounds it makes a difference but then mock the idea of a new track on the grounds it doesnt make a difference.
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  4. 06-09-2021, 10:30 PM
    i know donkey kong historically had higher standards than other games (while also lower standards depending on who was submitting), and sound in particular has been a source of suspicion, but this shows the board. For my education, is there something sound catches that a board showing and gameplay combined cant?
    When Steve Wiebe's score was removed for been having played on Double DK board I believe the way this was discovered was through the sounds on the game. One of the sounds in DK is different when played on a double DK, and thats how it was discovered, to my understanding. I believe showing the board wouldn't necessarily catch this because its a rom swap, again from my understanding, I could be wrong.
    Rampage Arcade World Champion
    ...............Roy was Right..................
    Thanks bensweeneyonbass thanked this post
  5. 06-09-2021, 10:34 PM
    It's easy.

No sound no did :)

john

Likes Fly, EVN, Foot0fGod, ersatz_cats liked this post
  6. 06-09-2021, 10:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDawn View Post
    When Steve Wiebe's score was removed for been having played on Double DK board I believe the way this was discovered was through the sounds on the game. One of the sounds in DK is different when played on a double DK, and thats how it was discovered, to my understanding. I believe showing the board wouldn't necessarily catch this because its a rom swap, again from my understanding, I could be wrong.
    pedantic me: checking the board would catch this because its a modified dk jr board. thats why the sound is off, it used dk jr sounds.
    unsure me: even dk jr would be caught because of modificaton to the board, its more than just a rom overwrite, but i dont know if these can be easily seen
    https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/...d/ddk/ddk.html

reasonable me: all that aside, point taken. while i'm arguing with your example, roms can be hacked. This does of course mean going forward we're gonna have to insist on sound for all dk scores, i dont wanna deal with the headache of someone without sound slowly getting better and better where we accepted an early low score with no sound and have to decide exactly when he/she has gotten good enough that we're adding sound as requirement. I'm not suggesting going back and disputing anything, just for future scores though.
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
    Likes bensweeneyonbass liked this post
  7. 06-09-2021, 11:37 PM

This does of course mean going forward we're gonna have to insist on sound for all dk scores, .

NO IT DOESN'T. No on cares about 60K DK scores!

john

8. 06-10-2021, 12:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by d3scride View Post
    I voted accept.

Robbie has clearly demonstrated over the course of his entire Donkey Kong career that he posses world class ability at this game. Just because he has shown attempts where he has played around with the voltages to test the RNG (there still is proof over a large sample size that this manipulation even does any thing) doesn't mean this score isn't legitimate.

This reminds me of the Wiebe situation where he had scores DQed because of his "association" with Roy Schildt even though there was nothing to prove his scores were illegitimate.

If somehow it's proven voltages do affect the RNG, then I can understand questioning the score at least in that context.
    His score is acceptable!
    Jared Oswald
    World record holders on "Guitar Hero", "Rock Band" and Sonic games.
  9. 06-10-2021, 01:28 AM
    This is so stupid. The board is meant to run at 5v, whether undervolting to 4.7v makes a difference or not is beside the point. The player/operator should do their best to make sure they are running their hardware in as close to a factory spec as they can. Especially when submitting a world record.

Easy abstain and thanks for the good WTF moment chuckle at the state of the DK scene.
    Thanks bensweeneyonbass thanked this post
  10. 06-10-2021, 02:49 AM
    I'd like to think there is a different context around a game not having working sound and a video having clearly been uploaded without sound. Some effects are identical like we can't hear the game sounds. Some are not like Kelly didn't try to silence the video but Robbie clearly did. I truly believe there's not much wrong with this run but it's so weird that some people are ready to accept based on his reputation and based on an INCOMPLETE evidence video. A video clearly lacking a critical element. He's doing this on purpose and y'all are lapping it up.

Each submission stands alone. And if you wanna bring reputation into it or how he's proven his mastery etc well he's proven he can record with sound and it's never been a problem before so something doesn't jive. You can't uphold the performative elements of his reputation but disregard the elements of submission quality and intentional manipulation of a game.

Until there's a complete video it's an abstain. Easy. Let it sit here until it contains the evidence it needs to. You know it's a WR run on arguably the most famous classic arcade game. No biggie right?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Join us