Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - 1,272,800 - Robbie Lakeman

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 06-10-2021, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kerr View Post
    Excuse me but I worked hard for that 88k.
    Sure its far from the world record but its the same game subject to the same rules. I guess on my next submission I dont need to show the board or have sound or anything because its not a world record! Is that what your saying? What about my 195k score? is that one worth your attention??
    ... didn't see your 195k score, so don't know about that one.
    However, you where working hard on your 88k score - with no sound, and at that point, it was still your best score, and I accepted it, despite the lack of sound - but maybe I should file a dispute now, because of the lack of sound??!!

The fact of the matter is (to quote a well known... ahremm, Donkey Kong player) an 88k score is still lightyears away from an all most 1.3 million score, maybe mistakes where made in adjudicating your score - you bringing it up might ad to something fishy going on - or not.
    That said - I'll be happy to not vote on any of your scores in the future.
  2. 06-10-2021, 11:06 AM
    Voting no and petitioning to challenge should it pass. It is absolutely unacceptable to take a submission without audio, as it is the number one way to splice a run together. It happened over and over and over in speedrun communities.

I want to be clear, I am not insinuating that's what happened. But to accept a score with such a glaring hole is a precedent that cannot be set. And there can be no good reason for it. The player almost always streams, with sound.

If the missing audio is rectified it's an easy Yes. As it stands, it's an easy No. I really can't fathom an argument for anything else, we might as well not ask for video at all if we don't ask for video with audio and return to the days of one's word and reputation being all that is needed. Which, you know, historically worked out very well.
    Thanks Muerto thanked this post
    Likes Muerto, Snowflake, lexmark, Fly liked this post
  3. 06-10-2021, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kerr View Post
    I guess on my next submission I dont need to show the board or have sound or play on the right settings or anything
    Mere mortals like you and me need to show all that stuff. The only way out of it is to be John McAllister!

:)

john

Likes Snowflake, Mitch Mitchell liked this post
  4. 06-10-2021, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
    Mere mortals like you and me need to show all that stuff. The only way out of it is to be John McAllister!

:)

john

thats not true, dkf will also stick up for its own members with a mere 5 minutes of proof and expect us to rubber stamp it. its more about being cool with the donkey kong masters than it is about higher skill different treatment.

i wonder if you submitted to dk mame with the same setting as john if you'd be rejected since you're doing it to cause trouble but when he did it it doesnt matter

all that said in regards to the aspect i find unreasonable, there are alot of reasonable reasons i'm hearing to demand sound and I hope robbie who's right to ignore unreasonable demands is willing to grant the reasonable requests
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
    Thanks Foot0fGod thanked this post
  5. 06-10-2021, 02:08 PM
    Not sure why 4.7v was measured and submitted. But, just to stop the guessing game. I.C. chips have a Vcc input requirement and operating voltage range, the main CPU chip, Z80, in DK, the operating range is 4.75 - 5.25.

http://www.z80.info/zip/z80b8400_OCR.pdf (page 29)
    Donkey Kong (arcade/3 men): 1,108,100
    Thanks bensweeneyonbass thanked this post
    Likes EVN, Fly, Muerto liked this post
  6. 06-10-2021, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LMDAVE View Post
    Not sure why 4.7v was measured and submitted. But, just to stop the guessing game. I.C. chips have a Vcc input requirement and operating voltage range, the main CPU chip, Z80, in DK, the operating range is 4.75 - 5.25.

http://www.z80.info/zip/z80b8400_OCR.pdf (page 29)
    @Snowflake I mentioned earlier in response to you that I wasn't sure there was even a voltage tolerance definition but it would seem the primary chip tolerance is 5V ± .25V

As far as we know this was within range because when the resolution of the meter only goes to the tenth it's not fine enough to measure the hundredth.
  7. 06-10-2021, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bensweeneyonbass View Post
    @Snowflake I mentioned earlier in response to you that I wasn't sure there was even a voltage tolerance definition but it would seem the primary chip tolerance is 5V ± .25V

As far as we know this was within range because when the resolution of the meter only goes to the tenth it's not fine enough to measure the hundredth.
    Edit - if a tenth meter measured a tenth point five it would probably round the readout to the next highest tenth
  8. 06-10-2021, 02:30 PM
    yes theres rounding as well as the accuracy of a meter itself so theres actually 4 tolerances here, the meter (which will truly be off on where the .5 to some tolerance), the rounding, the specs, and the specs rounding. I'm not worried about that, i just accepted the voltage was likely under tolerance, and this just makes it all the more likely, but we've also been told we dont need to require people to measure voltage since game play will show all that matters -- even at top level play.

i'm more convinced now of the reasonable demand (if thats a better phrase than reasonable reasons) for sound and so i wanna wait on that before i get myself involved in what may become a moot controversy.
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
  9. 06-10-2021, 03:17 PM
    I respect that, but I am sure enough that audio will not be presented as to change my vote should I be proven wrong. And I would like to be proven wrong for sure, though I'll still be quite mad at the stupid stunt of botching ones own submission to seemingly draw suspicion just to go "see???" Real cool, very good use of all of our time.

But I'm comfortable with the light inconvenience or hit should audio come out, check out, and I forget to change/miss my window to vote. I really do not want it to pass through, as I'm sure many are voting Yes and I'd rather risk it and encourage others that know this submission should not go through without a change to do the same. Because if you don't, it will go through, it will get challenged, it will get overturned if the audio is really not there. I don't care about the points.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Join us