Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - 1,272,800 - Robbie Lakeman

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 06-09-2021, 07:10 AM
    i seen the score I seen the board.... works for me.... The sound well it would be nice :) but not necessary.... The game was not direct feed so no cause for alarm... Congrats Robbie
  2. 06-09-2021, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    as for voltage in particular, i've been under the impression robbie wants everyone to have to prove their voltage. i noticed he did use a voltmeter. if the reason for sound is to check voltage, then i would imagine demanding the volt meter as well going forward should be a new requirement? Also i'm not a tech but is 4.7 in tolerance range?
    It's less about checking what the voltage is (as you point out it's shown in the video) and more about how the game is operating at that particular voltage. 4.7V may be in "tolerance range" although I'm not sure such a range has been defined anywhere, but 5V is specified in the schematic. If 4.7V makes the sound wonky I would be hesitant to accept it. It would sound like a machine that is not functioning properly.
  3. 06-09-2021, 07:22 AM
    As for the sound not being present in general - I would abstain if anyone submitted without sound, especially if they already have submissions on the same machine that include sound (which is true in Robbie's case). The sound of a game is part of the operation of the game and thus provides evidence to how the game is operating. Again I'm not saying vote no, because I don't think there's enough evidence for that, but I am waiting for the complete video before making my decision to vote or abstain for good.
  4. 06-09-2021, 07:38 AM
    That a big can of worms your trying to open george :) The voltage could read 4.7 v on one part of the board and 5v at other test points throw out the board.. Robbie game look normal to me... When the voltage is cradily to low you start to see sprite errors. lines vertical lines of garbage on the screen and mario vanishing on parts of the board , I know this becose built an adapter for a friend and witness this kind of stuff you see in my link,,, Turn out to be to low voltage in combination of crappy skinny wire in china jamma harness not allowing enough amperage , was a bottleneck more less ,, Anyhow 5 or 4.7 all depends on where on the board you test and does not look to be a factor in this game to me :)
    Thanks bensweeneyonbass thanked this post
  5. 06-09-2021, 07:41 AM
    There also the meter to think about, Not all meters are created equal :) readings can vary when where talking 10th of a volt :)
  6. 06-09-2021, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bensweeneyonbass View Post
    As for the sound not being present in general - I would abstain if anyone submitted without sound, especially if they already have submissions on the same machine that include sound (which is true in Robbie's case). The sound of a game is part of the operation of the game and thus provides evidence to how the game is operating. Again I'm not saying vote no, because I don't think there's enough evidence for that, but I am waiting for the complete video before making my decision to vote or abstain for good.
    For the reference of the TG community, here is the Donkey Kong Arcade Recording Rules that was compiled by Old Twin Galaxies.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/content...ecording-Rules

I'm not able to date the rules precisely, but I would guess it was around the time of the KoK, presumably 2006-2008. The rules cite an expectation that sound is included in the video recording but I would add that rules contain this explanation:

"All aspects must be included on your recording; else your submission *may* be subject to disqualification." [*emphasis added]

Recall that Old Twin Galaxies banned direct video submissions due to the absence of audio, which was viewed as a piece of corroborating evidence when judging a submission.

That said, the absence of audio has been treated on a game by game basis or submission-by-submission basis. There are examples in the submission rejection archive where the lack of sound was cited as a contributing (but not sole) factor; in other cases, the absence of audio did not result in rejection.

In the existing global rules around the treatment of third-party music recording during game play, it would appear that informally there's an expectation of audio, but it is not an explicit requirement. That said, I didn't anticipate a situation where a gamer would record themselves in this day in age with an external video recording device that has simultaneously recorded audio but not include it - or took the extra step of muting the audio recording capability during filming.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask Robbie to upload a copy of his record performance with audio in case there was an upload issue.
  7. 06-09-2021, 10:01 AM
    2006-2008 TG rules were ridiculously over blown, but it didn't seem to stop billy from uploading direct feed videos with no sound ,, why bill submitted no sound? becose it be easy to identify if it was mame , Are you suggesting robbie purposely submitted with no sound in order to deceive us all :) ,,, Its a raw video of the game screen with an after game show of the pcb and voltage to boot , but that was not necessary ,, anyhow i say it good:)

8. 06-09-2021, 10:38 AM
    FYI. As said by Ben, most boards are designed to run on 5-ish volts.

As stated by Robery F, voltage CAN read differently on different parts of the same board.

Weird that Rob would leave sound out ?
    Weird that he's showing voltage?

Has the DKF accepted this score?

john

9. 06-09-2021, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post

As stated by Robery F, voltage CAN read differently on different parts of the same board.

john

whats a bigger rules violatoini? not playing on proper setting or not recording sound.

just an outsider trying to understand the complex of donkey drama dogma ;)

p.s. come on lex, when i saw you commented i thought for sure you were gonna say something like that, you're getting mellow
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
  10. 06-09-2021, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post

john

initially rejected, encouraging community input.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Join us