- Bryan L Wagner

This poll is closed
  1. - Bryan L Wagner

06-11-2021, 10:07 AM
    Hi everyone, I now have an original arcade Zoo Keeper machine. The original monitor in it works but has a strobing "breathing " issue starting on the money board. I am looking at replacing the original monitor with a new flat screen monitor from Retroarcade.
    I couldnt find any information in the rules for original hardware that is required for a legitimate submission. The machine does have the original board sets and original cabinet. My question is can I replace this old monitor with a newer monitor and have this follow the rules?
    Thank you,
    Bryan Wagner
    2008 Guiness Book listing
    Arcade Burgertime WR 11,512,500
    Arcade Rolling Thunder WR 874,360
    ATARI 2600 Super Breakout WR Game 7B 4,011
  2. 06-12-2021, 11:10 PM
    original hardware is pretty much taken to mean original processor (board). you know, what affects the actual game itself. If you replaced the monitor, the person wanting to reject would have to come up with a good reason to DQ your submission, you dont need to come up with a good reason to defend replacing the monitor, what i'm trying to say is, its fine, but i need to leave myself wiggle for crazy one in a million scenarios that can suprise me and so i dont like to give a direct yes/no
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
    Thanks bryguy, Garrett Holland thanked this post
    Likes bryguy liked this post
  3. 06-13-2021, 07:03 AM
    If its possible you may want to consider replacing it with a CRT monitor rather than an LCD. That machine is a highly sought after and will be valued slightly less if you put an LCD in it. More importantly, LCD monitors also have lag when used in arcade games, which would likely affect your gameplay, so if your playing at a high level it would be best to use a CRT monitor IMO.

Freaking incredible Burgertime WR btw. I thought it so impressive I put it on this little bounty:
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/reddawn/wall/9329/2021-jonas-neubauer-memorial-btc-bounty
    Last edited by RedDawn; 06-13-2021 at 07:09 AM.
    Thanks bryguy thanked this post
    Likes bryguy, Fly liked this post
  4. 06-13-2021, 02:14 PM
    Thank you for responding. I was aware of the lag problem with LCD monitors but forgot about it, and I also don't want to devalue the machine as it is in very good condition. The joy stick is original with leaf switches, however, the power supply has been substituted with a smaller one from HAPP controls. The original power supply has components missing and a blown fuse and I haven't looked into that problem yet.

Snowflake: thanks for your input concerning a potential DQ - I don't need any additional grief when I submit a score. I already installed a new cap kit which didn't really help. Since I have a degree in electronics I am going to get a good monitor schematic and look for weak resistors and diodes in the high voltage circuit. Thanks
    Bryan
    2008 Guiness Book listing
    Arcade Burgertime WR 11,512,500
    Arcade Rolling Thunder WR 874,360
    ATARI 2600 Super Breakout WR Game 7B 4,011
  5. 06-22-2021, 08:44 AM
    Hi

To have a LCD instead of CRT monitor do not impact submission at all.
    Even a Donkey Kong World Record playing in an Arcade Cabinet with an original DK PCB with a JAMMA harness to LCD monitor
    will be acceptable.

I do have a mspacman cabinet with a replacement CRT which show ageing and some colour fading so I do have a LCD monitor
    as backup if CRT monitor fails.

The main thing is the arcade cabinet PCB to be original.
    Thanks bryguy thanked this post
    Likes bryguy liked this post
Join us