M.A.M.E. - Donkey Kong [US Set 1] - Points [No Hammer Challenge] - 115,200 - Roger Edwin Blair 111

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. M.A.M.E. - Donkey Kong [US Set 1] - Points [No Hammer Challenge] - 115,200 - Roger Edwin Blair 111

06-16-2021, 09:43 AM
    vzaar-player

Points [No Hammer Challenge]
    WolfMame version
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=10814
    Rank
    Rules
    ROMSet: DKong
    Lives: 3
    Bonus life: 7000
    Special Rules: You are NOT allowed to use or even touch the hammer at any point in the game-play performance or your score will be disqualified.
    This variation originated from the 2005 TG Bounty selections.
    Submission Message

Wolfmame 183.
    Pretty burnt on the no hammer thing, trying to stay on the game some until I go on vacation, hoping to put a decent score on a real machine, but I'm going back to playing full-on now, I think, the no hammer is just too hard to be fun.
    Thanks Everyone!!!

Attached Files Attached Files
    Likes GregDeg, wwdkong, Pixe Sukola, Rickster8 liked this post
  2. 06-16-2021, 11:39 AM
    no hammer time.

Input file: Rogerpoco_dkong_115200nohammer_w183.inp
    INP version 3.5
    Created Wed Jun 16 11:50:04 2021

Recorded using 0.183W (unknown)
    Total playback frames: 54610
    Average recorded speed: 100%
    Average speed: 361.37% (906 seconds)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Thanks Rogerpoco, evan04 thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  3. 06-16-2021, 06:31 PM

Hey Roger,

I have noticed in your DK submissions that you occasionally receive 0 points for jumping over one or more barrels.

This is why:

When you perform a straight (vertical) jump, the game code performs a check at the apex of the jump. It scans a horizontal area to the left and right of Mario (5 pixels in each direction), looking to see if there are any enemy objects nearby: barrels, fireballs, pies, springs, etc. If it finds any within this "scoring range", points are awarded. If nothing is found within the 5 pixel radius, the player receives 0 points.

However, if you press either left or right at the apex of the jump, the game thinks that you are performing a running jump, and the horizontal scoring area is increased to 19 pixels on either side.

If you provide a directional input (left or right) at the height of every jump, you will greatly improve your chances of scoring points for each barrel you jump over (or near). It may sound like a pain, but it will quickly become second nature.

Thanks Rogerpoco, RedDawn thanked this post
Join us