Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive - Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi - NTSC - Fastest Completion - 17:30.0 - Chase Dimino

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive - Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi - NTSC - Fastest Completion - 17:30.0 - Chase Dimino

07-08-2021, 06:54 PM
    vzaar-player

NTSC - Fastest Completion
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=130313
    Rank

Rules
    Normal or Non-Shuriken Mode, Any Difficulty Level, Any Control Type [No Codes or Continues Allowed!]
    Special Rules: The Timer begins when you select the Start Option and ends when you lay the final blow on Sauros. You MUST Complete the game or your record/attempt WILL be disqualified!
    Submission Message
    Stopwatch used during run. End time was delayed. Stopwatch started and stopped correctly during video playback resulting in a time of 17:30
    17:30.78 was the overall time. Please review and revise if anything else is needed. Thanks

Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 07-11-2021, 01:55 PM
    Voting yes
    Welcome Chase Dimino to Twin Galaxies and a new Wr
    The Timer begins when you select the Start Option and ends when you lay the final blow on Sauros. You MUST Complete the game or your record/attempt WILL be disqualified!
    17:56.462
    - :26.002
    17:30.460
    Is this rounding off to the nearest SECOND or Milliseconds counted

Game starts :26.002
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	794.1 KB 
ID:	129126
    Final time 17:56.462
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	800.7 KB 
ID:	129127
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
    Thanks BotzaBrand thanked this post
    Likes BotzaBrand liked this post
  3. 07-11-2021, 09:17 PM
    What is that controller? If there is anything that I'd object to, it is that I believe that is a turbo controller and there is no hand-cam to show that it is only the buttons being pressed. The console itself is also not displayed. These are absolutely things that I want to see/ I am not sure how the time is calculated, either. Looking at the start/stop of the time stamps, I believe JJT's time is more accurate than the submitted time.

I see room for improvement as you took a few deaths near the end. I think I hear you proclaim, "Glitch." right before you land the two final hits on Sauros.
    Likes BotzaBrand, JJT_Defender liked this post
  4. 07-11-2021, 10:08 PM
    I'll have to time it again. Or rounding down is fine. I tried to starting the timer as I pressed start initially, and the timer kept rolling for a few seconds after the last hit of the game
  5. 07-11-2021, 11:00 PM
    Controller was ASCII PAD SG-6 and is turbo. Turbo wasn't used. If it were it would have been apparent with attacking, jumping, and charging the dog.
    The reason this controller was used because it has a SNES 6 button layout and on tight platformers I prefer using the R button as C (jump)

Console was Laseractive. Set my last 2 records on it, but this screen was zoomed in too far enough to ID the consol. 2 green lit CD and LD in the top right corner weren't enough for the ID

I replied to JJT. I'll have to re time the run on the submitted video. I would be fine rounding down, but honestly I think it would be easier to just record another run with everything that was missing from this run.

I died 3 times on the last stage. The reason for submitting a score was because I could go faster than 1st place. After uploading the vid I looked up up Speedrun on YouTube and all the 13 & 14's humbled my ass pretty quick lol
    So I don't see much training on the future.

And I didn't say glitch.
    I said clutch.
  6. 07-11-2021, 11:48 PM
    Controller was ASCII PAD SG-6 and is turbo. Turbo wasn't used. If it were it would have been apparent with attacking, jumping, and charging the dog.
    The reason this controller was used because it has a SNES 6 button layout and on tight platformers I prefer using the R button as C (jump)

Console was Laseractive. Set my last 2 records on it, but this screen was zoomed in too far enough to ID the consol. 2 green lit CD and LD in the top right corner weren't enough for the ID

I replied to JJT. I'll have to re time the run on the submitted video. I would be fine rounding down, but honestly I think it would be easier to just record another run with everything that was missing from this run.

I died 3 times on the last stage. The reason for submitting a score was because I could go faster than 1st place. After uploading the vid I looked up up Speedrun on YouTube and all the 13 & 14's humbled my ass pretty quick lol
    So I don't see much training on the future.

And I didn't say glitch.
    I said clutch.
  7. 07-12-2021, 05:17 AM
    Thank you for the clarifications. This is a game that I know very well. I was in a competition a few years back and set a 13:22 on the steam version of the game in the genesis collection. Taking those deaths certainly did not help from a time perspective, though I can see why you submitted a time. 20 minutes is easily beaten.

The timer goes to the hundredth of a second. So an ideal submission will have that time. Perhaps consider putting your gameplay through a capture card? There are a large number of online timers that might be useful for you. It is certainly not a requirement, though it will help with getting the most accurate time possible.

If you do not want to go through that, I'd consider timing the run in a manner similar to how JJT did. Use the video after you are done recording and provide the timeline bookmarks. The game starts at xx:yy.zz and finishes at aa:bb.cc to establish a more accurate time. As much as I believe that your submission is better than the current "record" here, I believe that the time is inaccurately reported.
    Likes BotzaBrand liked this post
  8. 07-12-2021, 02:39 PM
    Regardless if the score is rounded up or down, it's nowhere near being called a world record. I didn't look at Speedruns until after I submitted and then saw some amazing runs. Little things like continuing to move forward and not charging the dog against gun enemies, or to just flat out jump over enemies in the later levels.

The only reason I went for a Speedrun over a points record was because i initially thought the top scores were leeching. I researched the rules and learned that in games with timers for levels it is point pressing and not leeching. This didn't seem appealing since besides rekilling the same respawning enemies each players run would be the same rinse and repeat, more or less. In fact the current record holder did this exactly and once they topped the current record they stopped playing.

The only positive thing about this run was when compared to first place it was a decent enough improvement, but moving forward, neither are near a time that could be considered a world record and holding that title isn't the same or earned when so many others can beat it but aren't recognized and the only reason I am is because I uploaded it here :/
  9. 07-17-2021, 09:54 PM
    Please vote no for this submission. If I do another I will have a timer visible on screen or physically in the camera frame throughout the run. Thanks
    Thanks Bishop Black, JJT_Defender thanked this post
  10. 07-26-2021, 04:15 AM
    Voting no as requested by the submitter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Join us