PlayStation - Namco Museum 3 - NTSC - Dig Dug [Points] - 34,200 - Damien Townley

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 09-05-2021, 04:40 AM
    I would get your cough looked at...be on the safe side..
  2. 09-05-2021, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Plenty of backwards compatibility issues arise for modern consoles. Several conflicting philosophies exist.

Only OEM equipment on NTSC/PAL tracks.
    - Sears Video Arcade is permitted for Atari 2600/VCS.
    - Coleco Expansion Module 1 is permitted for Atari 2600/VCS.

Emulation is to be tracked separately.
    - PS1 on PS2 slim is accepted but is emulation = backwards OEM compatibility is accepted even pre-TGSAP.

Backwards compatibility from the OEM is considered a generically acceptable thing where hardware is permitted: PS1 on PS2 fat, GameCube on Wii, GB on GBC, GB on GBA, GBC on GBA, GBA on DS, DS on 3DS.
    - This was later changed to "hardware backwards compatibility only". [Not sure if Xbox on Xbox 360 or PS2 on PS3 initiated the change.]

Two of three initial models of PS3 were hardware-compatible with PS2 (all were emulation of PS1 as best I can find). PSN versions of PS1 and PS2 games were to be tracked in a separate "PS3 PSN platform".
    - Pre-TGSAP ("legacy opinion") is that PS1 and PS2 games were banned on PS3 hardware (I believe because this was the easiest blanket-statement for PS3). A lot of people still supported this stance throughout the early TGSAP years.
    - Multiple platforms now have OEM backwards compatibility submissions via OEM software only (i.e., emulation).

> Community decides the evolution of the scoreboard & this one isn't knuckled down in rules. There are plenty of submissions that can be used to begin a Dispute process for a firm TG stance opinion (as is the direction on passwords for old games).
    When i first got here and wanted to do Ridge Racer V and NTSC-J Ridge Racer 1 I was told my slim model would not be accepted as it's software not hardware. So I've always stuck by this. The fact we have a PS3 PSN section as well which i was unaware of makes this even more of a no brainer.

The rules seriously need revision on this topic, have done ever since i started here as it's never been clear what the rules are regarding things like this.

By the way, the early PS3 models do have PS1 hardware, the same PS1 hardware used in the 'phat PS2' as it was easier for Sony to put in the phat model hardware than deal with real PS2 slim hardware and then software emulation on to. I even read that that particular setup actually requires the PS1 hardware to function at all. So it's definitely there.
    Thanks Barthax, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  3. 09-05-2021, 07:47 AM
    This is what I have read:

The thing with the PS3 is: the early fat models had native PS2 support, so the whole PS2 hardware was on the PCB, including the PS1 hardware as they were required for playing PS2 games. So these early models are playing PS1 and PS2 games natively. Later fat models had the PS2 support done partially in Software, so to be honest I can't say for certain if the PS1 games are emulated or native on there. For all later models, the hardware was no longer included and PS2 compatibility was dropped. That's why all PS1 games are emulated in software there.
    It seems the PS1 was used for I/O and as a co processor on actual hardware. It actually explains why on later PS3 models, PS2 support was dropped and only PS1 worked via emulation. PS2 emulation at the time (and actually still is) was rather crap and Sony didn't own their own PS2 emulator, only Bleem which is a PS1 emulator only.
    Thanks Barthax, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  4. 09-08-2021, 01:30 AM
    Bumping for discussion...
  5. 09-18-2021, 11:35 PM
    Your score is acceptable!
    Jared Oswald
    World record holders on "Guitar Hero", "Rock Band" and Sonic games.
  6. 10-17-2021, 01:00 PM
    Show Google links about the emulation of PS games on PS3 game systems so everybody can read here on Twin Galaxies better yet put it here and on your Wall for all to read and give input

PlayStation - Namco Museum 3 - NTSC - Dig Dug [Points] - 34,200 - Damien Townley

For now I am abstaining on this submission.
    Quote Originally Posted by rotunda View Post
    Bumping for discussion...
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
  7. 10-17-2021, 01:01 PM
    original
    Name:  image.png
Views: 18
Size:  87.6 KB
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
  8. 10-27-2021, 10:56 AM
    Voting yes
    Main thing that the majority of Twin Galaxies members do agree on is DOES IT GIVE A PLAYER ADVANTAGE LIKE SCORING HIGHER, OR MAKING IT EASIER TO SCORE ETC.
    CLEARLY IT DOES NOT GIVE DAMIEN TOWNLEY ADVANTAGE.
    Start
    Final
    Settings @ 1:35
    Game Over @ 13:05
Views: 9
Size:  480.4 KB
Size:  279.3 KB
Size:  320.2 KB
Views: 8
Size:  278.6 KB

JJT_Defender
    Honored Veteran
    Credibility:29014
    Submission points: 27044
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Join us