- Snowflake

This poll is closed
  1. - Snowflake

09-27-2021, 10:42 AM
    I'm kinda impressed how competitive the score on vectrex are. I figured they might be easy since its a somewhat obscure system, but people really put the effort in anyway. maybe thats just it? sure fewer people have one, but the people who do have one or the sort of people who really attack the scores hard?

anyway, i was thinking of making a list of vectrex scores and difficulty. by difficulty i just mean, has the score been maxed, has it been marathoned, or is it still in the learning phase. all scores (unless theres alot of rng) obviously eventually end up as a max/min out or a marathon. anything else, no matter how impressive means the game isnt mastered yet so thats why i'm just limiting myself to those 3 categories

Further i'm wiling to consider 4 hours, or maybe even 1 hour as a "marathon" since for my purposes here it shows the game has already been figured out. I know it doesnt the old twin galaxies 12 hour definition of a marathon, but that was a really arbitrary number anyway with some thinking it was too small and others (especially console gamers) seeming to think 4 hours is enough.

i'm doing this a forum so it can be updated, and hopefully i'll get help on this. ill edit this comment with info as i get it

armor attack, two submitted marathons,one unsubmitted marathon i'm aware of
    Minestorm max not reached yet.
    Minestorm 2, (probably no max) plenty of room for competitoin still, only an innaugraul
    clean sweep marathon achieved
    Scramble peak difficulty achieved, top score arguably close to marathon skill, but with limited lives tough to say. no marathon yet
    Cosmic Chasm good work, impressive scores, but room for competitioin remains
    Pole Position possible maxout. two top scores are tied, no crashes, no slicks hit, but one person had better time less cars, the other passed more cars worse time. not sure if its possible to mix and match with the best of both worlds for a higher score
    Bedlam, room for competition remains, its possible the difficulty may create a pseduo kill screen and this could be a maxout, also possible its marathonable. will need more evidence, speculation in comments below
    RipOff, room for competition remains. I've personally beat my own 10k video record with 13k photo only.
    solar quest. room for competiton remains. I personally believe both me (second place) and first place have likely reached the hardest level so a marathon is probably around the corner if someone else gets just a little better. I base this strictly on speculation and "gut feeling" on experience with games for years
    Last edited by Snowflake; 10-11-2021 at 10:11 AM.
    Thanks datagod thanked this post
    Likes datagod, Barthax, Rogerpoco liked this post
  2. 09-28-2021, 08:26 AM
    adding armor attack to list, john marks and scott stilphen, while not reaching official tg 12 hour marathon length, have gone more than long enough to demonstrate marathon skills

due to my friendship with john salter i'm also aware he has an unsubmitted 24 hour vectrex armor attack score, however it seems rather unlikely he'll ever submit it so who knows if that'll be the score to beat
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  3. 10-01-2021, 08:43 AM
    added bedlam to list.

to experiment, i played starting on level 3 and made it to 6. the game kept getting harder, sure maybe that was peak dificulty but without seeing same difficulty repeat theres no rationale reason to believe i hit peak difficulty. i'd like see level 8, since even if level 7 is the same it might just appear to be the same whereas if dificutly stays (appears to stay) the same two levels in the row i'd say we reached peak. the game gets so crazy hard i dont know if it ends like stampede where its truly impossible and some people will hang on longer than others, or, if peak difficulty is possible and thx to life bonuses can be marathoned.

whatever the case is, my score is certainly not a maxout. I'd also be curious to see 100k. does it roll? does it max? does it fully record 6 digits?
  4. 10-02-2021, 05:30 PM
    I don't recall my Armor Attack game lasting as long as John's. We both use a similar technique of using 'safe' areas to shoot at tanks and helicopters. I described the one I used in the Nov/Dec 1991 issue of Classic Systems and Games Monthly:
    http://www.ataricompendium.com/archi...g_monthly.html (also reviewed Mine Storm in that issue).

With my game, I tend to stay in that spot and knock off helicopters at a faster rate whereas John Marks moves around a lot more, although his hiding spot is a lot more safe than mine.
    William R. was right. Mruczek (RTM) was and is wrong.
    Thanks Snowflake thanked this post
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  5. 10-06-2021, 07:32 AM
    adding rip off to the list

Definitely room to move on this one, i actually have off camera (well on camera off video, photo) 13k so i've beat my own submitted score by 30%. Stands to reason this isnt a maxout, but since you cant earn extra lives its not really marathonable. Due to the fact marathon would be impossible/super hard this may one day turn into the only vectrex title still really interesting to compete on. You may be able to say the same for scramble but as hard as that game is (dang the top scores there are impressive) that would eventually turn into a pattern and this wouldnt

anyway, yeah, definitley citing this one as "room for competition"
  6. 10-06-2021, 07:49 AM
    Pole Position is a toughie-
    Rage had thought it maxed when I got my score, and people have went on to improve on that, so I think that one is a "who knows".
    Might be a tad left in Hyperchase, but yur gonna have to be fast and twitchy to beat me.
    :)
    Polar Rescue is one you need to look out for, not really my bag but an underrated game, quite advanced for Vectrex too, really.
    Noone has really figured that one out at all, at least, noone submitting here.
    Droplets of yes and no
    In an ocean of maybe
    Thanks Snowflake thanked this post
  7. 10-06-2021, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco View Post
    Pole Position is a toughie-
    Rage had thought it maxed when I got my score, and people have went on to improve on that, so I think that one is a "who knows".
    Might be a tad left in Hyperchase, but yur gonna have to be fast and twitchy to beat me.
    :)
    Polar Rescue is one you need to look out for, not really my bag but an underrated game, quite advanced for Vectrex too, really.
    Noone has really figured that one out at all, at least, noone submitting here.
    correct me if i'm wrong, but pole position on vectrex doesnt care how tight you hug a curve, all that matters is that you
    switch gears at the right time
    hit no slicks
    have no crashes
    meaniing if the above 3 requirements are met (pretty hard actually) theres just the occasional slow down. i'm not even sure hitting the edges matter.

i'm not implying its easy, its still hard, what i'm implying though is (and now saying), i think determining if a score is the max isnt too hard, of course getting that score is.
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  8. 10-06-2021, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but pole position on vectrex doesnt care how tight you hug a curve, all that matters is that you
    switch gears at the right time
    hit no slicks
    have no crashes
    meaniing if the above 3 requirements are met (pretty hard actually) theres just the occasional slow down. i'm not even sure hitting the edges matter.

i'm not implying its easy, its still hard, what i'm implying though is (and now saying), i think determining if a score is the max isnt too hard, of course getting that score is.
    That's what I am saying-we can assume that(that you are correct), as it seems "right", but unless the programming is understood, I'm just not so sure we can, for all we know the timer is like Night Driver, but unnoticably(?) so.

I just honestly don't think enough skilled players have played the game enough to really understand it that deep.

Again-I don't think you are WRONG, I'm just not so sure you are right.
    Droplets of yes and no
    In an ocean of maybe
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  9. 10-06-2021, 08:31 AM
    thats fair, and even reading code is no guarantee. bugs exist for a reason. a bunch of smart paid people looking over their own code with a team of quality control still dont understand fully the code they themselves wrote.
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
  10. 10-11-2021, 10:17 AM
    added solar quest. I feel awkward saying first place can do better when i'm neither first, nor feel qualifeid to in depth analyze first's gameplay, so theres admittedly some speculation/gut instinct here. But just knowing how games go from a lifetime of gaming, and how the difficulty suddenly ramps up there. in particular, the ghost ship itslef doesnt really get any harder, but it does come out more frequently. this leads me to believe the ghostship itself is at max difficulty, and honestly, the frequency really doesnt have much room to be quicker. outside of ghostship appearance, the rest of the game levels out in difficulty by that point too.

so while i tihnk the next person to claim first place has a high chance of marathoning it, we arent at marathons for the title yet.
Join us