Game Boy / Game Boy Color - International Rally - Panama - Fastest Time - 55.17 - Kyle Nelson

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 10-20-2021, 08:20 PM
    In situations like this, abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.
    Lauren Tyler
    Eternal Champion of Ragol
  2. 10-21-2021, 09:33 AM
    heres my issue

if the video had some gltich through no fault of your own, and the exact same info was missing i'd probably approve.

The intentionally hiding adds suspicion though. Oh sure, you're well known here and it can be said you're trusted, but think of the door opened. Now someone else can purposely hide something and ask why you get special treatment but they dont.

i'll agree i cant imagine anything abusive happening, but just the principle of intentionally hiding adds to much suspicion and opens too much of a problem precedent for the future
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
  3. 10-21-2021, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1185 View Post
    The entire race and some is there. Proof I did it is there. What does me purposely moving the camera, for reasons I have explained on here and in the video at the time, have anything to do with the run itself?
    You saying a code and saying that is what you entered is no proof of what you entered. And what you purposely moving the camera does is create legitimate doubt.
    Undisputed #1 Game Wave Family Entertainment Player
    Likes Snowflake liked this post
  4. 10-21-2021, 12:28 PM
    also not inherently relevant to this submission, but i think the stated reason for the hiding kinda contradicts other points made in other threads

my apologies if it was someone else who said, i sometimes confuse in my mind who said what, but kyle, wasnt it you making the point passwords should always be allowed? sure on this track in particular they're explicilty allowed, but wasnt your logic elsewhere that passwords even when not explicilty allowed should be if its just to get to a level. logic being the track is for that level, its not about how good you at getting to that point. here though you wanted to keep your password secret to give you some advantage over others. doesnt that contradict the other logic? if passwords can be kept secret for advantage then wouldnt it make sense the people who are good enough to unlock everyting should have an advantage over those who cant, and therefore passwords not even allowed

its a bit contradictory to want the rules to work one way when you think its an advantage to you, but then on a different submission want the rules to work opposite when its suddenly disadvantageous to you

i get both points of view in a vacuum but thrown together, i'm sorry man, but yeah stuff like that raises suspicion even further, not less.

fyi, i like you. i know my tone comes off harsh. and i guess i am feeling a little harsh about this particular submission, but nothing i say here is really intended to make enemies.
    Lode Runner champ, also, Roy was right
  5. 10-26-2021, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    also not inherently relevant to this submission, but i think the stated reason for the hiding kinda contradicts other points made in other threads

my apologies if it was someone else who said, i sometimes confuse in my mind who said what, but kyle, wasnt it you making the point passwords should always be allowed? sure on this track in particular they're explicilty allowed, but wasnt your logic elsewhere that passwords even when not explicilty allowed should be if its just to get to a level. logic being the track is for that level, its not about how good you at getting to that point. here though you wanted to keep your password secret to give you some advantage over others. doesnt that contradict the other logic? if passwords can be kept secret for advantage then wouldnt it make sense the people who are good enough to unlock everyting should have an advantage over those who cant, and therefore passwords not even allowed

its a bit contradictory to want the rules to work one way when you think its an advantage to you, but then on a different submission want the rules to work opposite when its suddenly disadvantageous to you

i get both points of view in a vacuum but thrown together, i'm sorry man, but yeah stuff like that raises suspicion even further, not less.

fyi, i like you. i know my tone comes off harsh. and i guess i am feeling a little harsh about this particular submission, but nothing i say here is really intended to make enemies.
    I'm not taking anything anybody is saying as offensive, but I'm getting everyone is taking me as if I am offended. I've always liked you Bill, so no worries there man :) Your a passionate guy about this stuff, same as me on certain things. I'm simply defending my submissions to the questions being asked. I suppose I'm a little annoyed I have to keep repeating myself over and over on many different threads about this stuff, but I have no issues with any of you asking these questions. I'm a pretty happy guy, I'm giving you **** and trying to keep it light...apparently that doesn't work well through text.

Yes, I said passwords that unlock certain things should be allowed. I think the only time I have said unlock all passwords didn't make sense was for games that auto save. Then again, I really don't care either but if the game saves the use of passwords doesn't seem necessary since when you unlock something it's yours. Back to the subject at hand. If you are competing on track 10 for example, I don't care about the other whatever it is that got you there. Password, playing through the game, that's your business, IMO it's irrelevant to the submissions you're competing on. Play the game however you want. As long as everything you have acquired/missed is obtainable through normal play and obtainable in that time frame of the game, I don't care. I'm 100% for everyone on the same playing field.

Who tried using a password that I didn't like but I tried doing it myself? I might have said a few years ago passwords aren't allowed like everyone else because I took the rules as "NO PASSWORDS EVER", but as I started playing games that use passwords to retrieve data (I believe the first game this last winter of 2020) and playing games with unlock all passwords I've changed my mind about them. I came to that conclusion because it seems to me that Kelly Flewin was starting to add passwords to tracks to save people time and allow for quicker competition on games. Having played a few Game Boy games that had unlockable cars but the only way to retrieve them, it just made sense that using a password for those situations should be allowed. I also went back and looked at the actual rule for passwords, and saw it completely differently now. Cheat codes to me went against the paragraph above, giving you something you couldn't unlock through normal play, or give you an item that you wouldn't normally be allowed to have at a certain point like starting with the Hyper Beam in Super Metroid for example. Cheat devices would be a gameshark. In game codes to me where like button inputs like the Konami code, or the NBA Jam Icons you can change before a game. I no longer considered "unlock all" and data retrieval passwords in that category.

I guess I'm not understanding where I was getting an advantage over anyone, and maybe that is the issue here. I wanted to keep the password to myself because I hadn't done a really deep search for passwords, I typically use Gamefaqs for finding passwords. They had a password that said "unlock the best car" and it was a single car on its second version. So I played through the entire game, unlocked a password (not knowing at the time it was the final password everyone would get when unlocking everything) and kept it to myself because I earned it. It was mine, I took the time. The only advantage I had was actually taking the time to play through the game to unlock everything so I could use them for submitting. I used the password because I had been allowed to use a password on a game identical to it 8 months earlier with no issues. I believe I asked about this game before I used passwords with no issues so I did it. That's all in the dispute where TG ruled using the passwords was allowed.

After the use of the password was questioned and stating I couldn't find an unlock all password a few times, I did end up finding it on a website about 4 pages deep in my google search, and I posted it. So even if you think I somehow had an advantage, which I still don't know how I did, anyone who played through the game would have had the exact same password. If I had found the unlock password on any website prior to be me taking the time to earn it myself, I never would have hid it and would have shown it. I earned that password, it sucked, I kept it to myself. That's it.

I don't think I was contradicting my logic. If someone wanted to play through the game, unlock a specific car, and play the track after 10 hours of playing while recording the entire time, go ahead. If someone wanted to do that exact same scenario except write down the password they got, then started recording, rebooting and using the password, go ahead. if someone wanted to start the game and use the worst car, go ahead. Everyone is so concerned about fair play they aren't considering there isn't one singular way to do it. I actually had someone say that the first person played the game this way, so now everyone has too. Sorry, I'm not doing that.

I guess I trust everyone to not cheat and I take their submissions at face value. I don't go into all the what ifs anymore like I used too. Have you seen my CR?? I've taken so many hits on no boot ups shown its ridiculous. That's fine, to each their own.

No hard feelings, no sarcasm, no offense taken or given, I'm simply defending my submissions. I'm wish this was a dispute at this point because people would have tested everything I've said and found that there is no other possible password I could have used to unlock everything. As I said somewhere else, probably in this thread haha, Here we are.
  6. 10-27-2021, 01:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    my apologies if it was someone else who said, i sometimes confuse in my mind who said what, but kyle, wasnt it you making the point passwords should always be allowed? sure on this track in particular they're explicilty allowed
    Note that they didn't used to be - this same footage got canned as the track rules used to state nothing about passwords. There was a long debate across multiple threads & TG eventually changed the rules on (at least) two GB games for well-argued reasons from Kyle.

... predicted it. :P https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...=1#post1130335
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Thanks thegamer1185 thanked this post
  7. 10-27-2021, 02:15 AM
    Hiding evidence is a deceptive behaviour. Insufficient evidence that the password used is valid (and not a cheat). The burden of proof is on the submitter so any claims about what happened (and any claims about possible outcomes) must be substantiated via evidence from the submitter. Voting No.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Likes thegamer1185 liked this post
  8. 10-27-2021, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Hiding evidence is a deceptive behaviour. Insufficient evidence that the password used is valid (and not a cheat). The burden of proof is on the submitter so any claims about what happened (and any claims about possible outcomes) must be substantiated via evidence from the submitter. Voting No.
    I 100% agree on this. Voting No also.
    Undisputed #1 Game Wave Family Entertainment Player
    Likes thegamer1185 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Join us