Marble Madness (NES) - Steve Barrios

This poll is closed
  1. Marble Madness (NES) - Steve Barrios

11-24-2021, 12:01 AM
    Greetings all,

Just popping over from the speedrun community to share a (mostly accidental) discovery.

The background here is that for years now, I have had this blurry memory of once (offstream / unrecorded) managing to land a 6000 point jump in the Practice Race of Marble Madness. The problem here is that ever since, I have been completely unable to reproduce it. Not on the cart. Not with savestates. Not even with TAS tools. What's more, none of the other runners so much as even claim to have ever seen a 6000 point jump - and everyone doing high score runs treats 5000 as the functional maximum.

And then today this happened:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1214420667

I call it "The Hook Shot" - and it seems to rely on an extremely counterintuitive motion coming from the bottom and then swinging the marble back down again. As far as I know it is the first 6000 point jump ever recorded on video - although if there is anybody else out there who has done prior work on this, I would expect to find them here.

So there you have it. A 6000 point jump is possible. I hope to see this used in a future High Score run soon, hopefully even without having to backtrack the marble.
  2. 11-29-2021, 04:46 AM
    Congrats! I'm not sure how you got the marble to go that far down offscreen, but that's pretty neat. I'm now wondering if it's possible to do that on other levels, or in other versions of the game (arcade?).
  3. 11-29-2021, 06:14 AM
    awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing this...this is great!
Join us