Dispute: Roger 111 - Atari 400 / 800 / XL / XE - Pitstop - Kyalami-9 Laps-Fastest Time - Player: Tom Duncan - Roger Edwin Blair 111

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Dispute: Roger 111 - Atari 400 / 800 / XL / XE - Pitstop - Kyalami-9 Laps-Fastest Time - Player: Tom Duncan - Roger Edwin Blair 111

12-05-2021, 03:45 PM
    Atari 400 / 800 / XL / XE - Pitstop - Kyalami-9 Laps-Fastest Time
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=13518
    Rank

Rules
    Fastest Time may come from any skill level.
    Player Name
    Tom Duncan
    Original Adjudication
    N/A
    Verification Method
    Video
    Verification Date
    2005-08-30
    Disputed Score
    04:15.0 (Rank 1)
    Disputed By
    Rogerpoco
    Dispute Evidence / Rationale
    This one is likely a clerical error, and should be 4:51.
    The fastest time on the three lap variation of this track is 1:28.0, so that times three, to equal nine laps, would be 4:24, at best, and you cannot complete this course without stopping at least once.
    Likes GregDeg liked this post
  2. 12-08-2021, 05:33 PM
    I agree. 3 laps takes 1:28. The first lap takes 30 seconds to do, and the other two take 29 seconds each since you have to get up to full speed when you start. The next 3 would take 1:27, as would the last 3. So the absolute best (without taking a pitstop) would be 4:22. And since you need more than half a tank to complete 3 laps, Roger is correct - you have to stop at least once to refuel. So 4:15 is impossible.

Name:  pitstop_kyalami_3lap.png
Views: 115
Size:  2.2 KB
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  3. 12-19-2021, 10:07 PM
    While we do not have record of which referee adjudicated each score, we did attempt to reach out to a ref that may have had some knowledge. @goochman ⁠ was a ref around that time and he provided us with the response below and granted TG permission to post it.

Pitstop is not my game – I didn’t play it much and don’t have any recollection on Toms score below. Tom did submit a lot of scores back then – I had a ton of Colecovision tapes of his scores at one time. Im pretty sure whatever score he did post was taped but with the moving of the database from 1 system to another a clerical error is most likely the issue here. I can confirm a few of my scores have had some anomalies pointed out and a number disappeared entirely.
    While it is not required or expected for an original submitter to participate in a dispute claim thread, we also were able to out to the original submitter, who responded with the below (permission was given to quote):

I dont have anything else to go on but I will agree judging by the 3 lap and 6 lap it looks impossible but Im not sure what it should be.
    Given all of this information presented in the dispute thread, including the commentary and thoughts of the original submitter, it is our opinion and belief that this specific score should be removed until such time that more information supporting the verification and technical possibility of the score can be provided.
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
Join us