Nintendo DS - Metroid Prime Pinball - NTSC/PAL - High Score - Single Mission - Tallon Overworld (Normal difficulty) - 141,542,280

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 03-02-2022, 01:35 AM
    Metroid Pinball submission

Questions

1. Why did the player the press the left side button at the beginning of his break was it necessary and again pressing the left side button I assume to start it back the game up again, i am just guessing.

1a. Was it necessary to press the left button before player took a break and after?

2. What is the function of left side button when the player pressed it, in the capture pictures on his submission thread, when the player took his break and again pressing the left side button after?
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
    Likes Clyde liked this post
  2. 03-02-2022, 05:31 AM
    If the rules as written allow sitting in a safe spot, I see no reason to reject it. He didn't actually pause, so...
  3. 03-02-2022, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    If the rules as written allow sitting in a safe spot, I see no reason to reject it. He didn't actually pause, so...
    Just to play devil's advocate for the moment. The Global Rules has no direct ruling of this activity in a game. However, the base line of "spirit of the game" and "no leeching" can get used to interpret angles towards this behaviour. For example: it's generally understood that the "spirit" that could be applied to any generic idea of a pinball game is to launch the ball and use the flippers to keep the ball in play - this is the opposite. One of the baselines of leeching is sitting in the same spot accumulating points while having no risk to the efforts of the player and another is the general idea of progressing forward in the game. The Global Rules also has an explicit No Pausing rule: so if you don't pause, don't progress the game and have zero risk to staying in one spot against the generalised "spirit" of the game... Why should this be allowed?

Anyway, I have voted accept. ;)
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Thanks Clyde thanked this post
  4. 03-02-2022, 05:58 AM
    Sorry, I trailed off the devil's advocate before I'd voice the full set...

Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    The Global Rules also has an explicit No Pausing rule: so if you don't pause, don't progress the game and have zero risk to staying in one spot against the generalised "spirit" of the game... Why should this be allowed?
    ... and why isn't this a pause in all but explicit use?
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  5. 03-02-2022, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1185 View Post
    The video is 4h 16min long, he took a 7 minute break. That means he played for 97% of the video, which I'm willing to accept that. Again, as I mentioned and Barthax confirmed, no marathon rules have taken effect.
    I'm just going to point out I've taken safe spot breaks for a longer percentage of game time in gameboy games I've submitted and in all but one case the length of the break wasn't even commented on...I know I've voted on a large number of subs with similar type breaks in them, and I'm pretty sure they've all gone through.

I think it's good we have this discussion when it comes up because that's how we further clarify the grey-ness in this issue and can wax on about "too long" or not, but to me, this is not a problem. If this were 6 one-ish minute safe spot breaks over the course of the game where he set down the system to stretch his hands or body or whatever, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

I haven't watched the run, but have viewed the portion of video being talked about, and see no issues there that should, imo, stop this sub from being accepted.
    Likes Barthax, thegamer1185, Excelliron liked this post
  6. 03-02-2022, 06:22 AM
    Thanks for the detailed dissection, Barthax!

I agree with the general feeling; I don't see this as excessive. He wasn't going for a marathon run, and since this is based on score and not time, I think it's perfectly fine. I don't think a short break of this time overrules the skill used.
    Likes Barthax, voltronforce0 liked this post
  7. 03-02-2022, 06:31 AM
    I can say that in some of my own pinball game submissions I have taken a similar, but shorter, breaks. They were always at a pending ball launch event. I would announce on the video that it was a natural break in the action and I was going to get another beer or go pee, and did not actually pause the game. All of my submissions where that occurred were accepted with no discussion around the breaks.
    Likes Clyde, Barthax, thegamer1185 liked this post
  8. 03-02-2022, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Thanks for the detailed dissection, Barthax!
    No problem. :) Every score that gets accepted always has the burden of dodging potential Disputes too. So the fact this weight of discussion is present for this specific achievement, then any future idea that this pause is unsanitary will have to also dispute the "ideas of the day" as expressed here. Once accepted, this score will have an unusual amount of protection voiced in this thread: it's not just a bunch of "Yes votes". :)
    Likes Clyde liked this post
  9. 03-02-2022, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    No problem. :) Every score that gets accepted always has the burden of dodging potential Disputes too. So the fact this weight of discussion is present for this specific achievement, then any future idea that this pause is unsanitary will have to also dispute the "ideas of the day" as expressed here. Once accepted, this score will have an unusual amount of protection voiced in this thread: it's not just a bunch of "Yes votes". :)
    Clever system!
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  10. 03-02-2022, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JJT_Defender View Post
    Metroid Pinball submission

Questions

1. Why did the player the press the left side button at the beginning of his break was it necessary and again pressing the left side button I assume to start it back the game up again, i am just guessing.

1a. Was it necessary to press the left button before player took a break and after?

2. What is the function of left side button when the player pressed it, in the capture pictures on his submission thread, when the player took his break and again pressing the left side button after?
    Hi! So the button toggle on the left side is for volume. I turn it up when I break so the sound can be heard better to show the music is playing as it should with no break in the music/sound(to enforce the fact that I'm not somehow doing something to affect the game or cosole like camera tricks or something).

So the volume increase I used to strengthen the fact that the game was consistently on and there was no funny business.
    I turn it down when I get back because it's a bit to loud for me when I play. When I continue playing, it's of course obvious that the game is being played in a consistent manner.

Hope that helps explain! :)
    Thanks Clyde, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Barthax, JJT_Defender liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Join us