NES / FAMICOM / DISK - Super Mario Bros. - NTSC - Minimalist Speed Run - 05:27.0

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 07-11-2022, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EightBitSteve View Post
    To my knowledge, all the other speedruns I have seen simply chop off the milliseconds. This is essentially always rounding down. I do not see any reason why this one should be rounded up.
    Yeah, timing runs on TG has been kind of a mini roller coaster. It used to be, we would give our best guess as to when the timer began and ended, then rounded up/down to closest digit. It worked because we had no other solid way of doing it.

Now we have a video player that can actually go frame by frame, giving us a much more accurate time. So those older ways should be left in the past, and we should get the more accurate time. In this case, the rules do state round to whole seconds. Doesn't say which way you should round, up/down so I will give you that one. I have always preferred that times should always be rounded to a slower time. The main reason being, how do you lose time on a race/speedrun if you actually play longer than the time you submitted? A 1:01.1 can't be a 1:01 flat because you have already pasted that point of time, but it can be rounded to 1:02 because it is the next whole number closest to your possible achieved time. If that makes sense.

If I have a time of 1:01.3, rounded down to 1:01 would be me gaining an advantage over someone who got an exact time of 1:01. Yes, the same principle applies in my wanting to round all times up to a slower time, someone is going to get screwed. At least everyone will be getting screwed with a time that they have yet to surpass. A 1:01.1 is rounded to 1:02. A 1:01.8 is rounded to 1:02. Both of these times would be submitted and they would be accurate for the leaderboards because you haven't reached that point yet. A 1:01.4 being rounded down to 1:01 makes for an inaccurate leaderboard because the submitted time is no longer possible, you have surpassed it. I'm only one tiny little voice on here, and I've been wrong many times before haha. Makes sense to me anyway.
  2. 07-11-2022, 11:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1185 View Post
    Yeah, timing runs on TG has been kind of a mini roller coaster. It used to be, we would give our best guess as to when the timer began and ended, then rounded up/down to closest digit. It worked because we had no other solid way of doing it.

Now we have a video player that can actually go frame by frame, giving us a much more accurate time. So those older ways should be left in the past, and we should get the more accurate time. In this case, the rules do state round to whole seconds. Doesn't say which way you should round, up/down so I will give you that one. I have always preferred that times should always be rounded to a slower time. The main reason being, how do you lose time on a race/speedrun if you actually play longer than the time you submitted? A 1:01.1 can't be a 1:01 flat because you have already pasted that point of time, but it can be rounded to 1:02 because it is the next whole number closest to your possible achieved time. If that makes sense.

If I have a time of 1:01.3, rounded down to 1:01 would be me gaining an advantage over someone who got an exact time of 1:01. Yes, the same principle applies in my wanting to round all times up to a slower time, someone is going to get screwed. At least everyone will be getting screwed with a time that they have yet to surpass. A 1:01.1 is rounded to 1:02. A 1:01.8 is rounded to 1:02. Both of these times would be submitted and they would be accurate for the leaderboards because you haven't reached that point yet. A 1:01.4 being rounded down to 1:01 makes for an inaccurate leaderboard because the submitted time is no longer possible, you have surpassed it. I'm only one tiny little voice on here, and I've been wrong many times before haha. Makes sense to me anyway.
    What you are saying makes total sense. It works in both directions though. It is my personal opinion that TG should only be tracking scoring and only tracking speed when there is an in game timer. I would like to say as long as the method is consistent I will get behind it, problem is, there have been multiple methods used on approved runs and there are differing opinions about how to move forward. I think this is an issue above our heads and needs to be addressed by a larger group of opinions or TG staff. I am of course only referring to how it is handled on NES. The real question is, should this run be voted yes or no?
    Likes thegamer1185 liked this post
  3. 07-12-2022, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EightBitSteve View Post
    What you are saying makes total sense. It works in both directions though. It is my personal opinion that TG should only be tracking scoring and only tracking speed when there is an in game timer. I would like to say as long as the method is consistent I will get behind it, problem is, there have been multiple methods used on approved runs and there are differing opinions about how to move forward. I think this is an issue above our heads and needs to be addressed by a larger group of opinions or TG staff. I am of course only referring to how it is handled on NES. The real question is, should this run be voted yes or no?
    Agreed. A rule stating something about which way to round would solve it. Around to nearest whole second, or round to the next possible second would solve it. Give it an effective starting date to protect scores prior to the rule from being removed.
  4. 08-10-2022, 07:56 AM
    I voted yes, to accept
    Rampage Arcade World Champion
    ...............Roy was Right..................
  5. 08-12-2022, 06:22 AM
    re: the rounding - The top two scores on this were subbed with TGSAP. Both simply dropped the tenths/hundredths to get a whole second score. Given that, it seems the practice for this title has been to simply drop the hundredths and tenths and only record the whole seconds. Since that's the case on other subs during the TGSAP era, this seems fine to me here.

I'm voting to accept.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender, Excelliron, Dalthanas liked this post
  6. 09-02-2022, 01:40 AM
    Bumping for votes and opinions.
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/signaturepics/sigpic464367_2.gif
  7. 09-20-2022, 04:45 PM
    I watched the video; run is legit. I am voting yes!
    You live, you learn, you get a 1UP!
  8. 10-11-2022, 02:30 AM
    Double checked your time of playing spectacularly of Mario at 5:27! Accepted!
    Jared Oswald
    World record holders on "Guitar Hero", "Rock Band" and Sonic games.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Join us