Atari 2600 / VCS - Missile Command - NTSC - Game 4, Difficulty B (Points) - 33,610

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari 2600 / VCS - Missile Command - NTSC - Game 4, Difficulty B (Points) - 33,610

05-19-2022, 11:33 PM
    vzaar-player

NTSC - Game 4, Difficulty B (Points)
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=2358
    Rank
    Rules
    Difficulty switch must be set to B position. This is the normal difficulty.
    Any other settings should remain default upon boot-up.
    Submission Message
    Run begins at 0:32.

Likes nads liked this post
  2. 05-20-2022, 07:30 AM
    Voting yes
    Start
    Final
    Name:  image.png
Views: 30
Size:  384.8 KBName:  image.png
Size:  271.1 KBName:  image.png
Size:  437.8 KB
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
    Thanks starsoldier1 thanked this post
    Likes starsoldier1 liked this post
  3. 05-20-2022, 07:26 PM
    The game settings and game play looks good, but I'm wondering if using a ColecoVision for an Atari 2600 game is a valid hardware configuration for this track.

I'm relatively new to Twin Galaxies and this is the first time I've seen this come up. I searched the site and didn't find any information on whether this configuration is valid or if an actual Atari console is required.

Before I vote on this and other similar submissions, I'm hoping someone with a longer history on Twin Galaxies can comment on whether this issue has been discussed and on what decisions were made.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  4. 05-20-2022, 07:47 PM
    Yes

• According to 3 sources

Expansion Module No. 1 allows all cartridges compatible with the Atari 2600 VCS to be played on CBS ColecoVision console. When the Expansion Module is plugged into the Expansion Module Interface, the widest possible library og video game cartridges can be played on the CBS ColecoVision system.

ColecoVision Atari Converter / Expansion Module #1.

colecovision.dk

Expansion Module #1 : Atari 2600 Adaptor Expansion Module #1 was a large module which allowed users to play Atari 2600 games through ColecoVision, giving them a total library of over 1,000 games. The expansion module was quite large though it was smaller than the Atari 2600 itself.

Views: 19
Size:  687.2 KB
    Made In Taiwan
    S/N #: 000503 Model # 8A-7499.

Expansion Module No. 1
    Expansion Module No. 1 allows all cartridges compatible with the Atari 2600 VCS to be played on CBS ColecoVision console.
    When the Expansion Module is plugged into the Expansion Module Interface, the widest possible library og video game cartridges can be played on the CBS ColecoVision system.
    Alternatively, existing Atari owners can purchase the CBS ColecoVision videogame system and still make use of their existing software library.
    Game play can be controlled using CBS ColecoVision game controllers which plug into the Expansion Module No. 1.
    ----====----
    Atari Gemini.
    Coleco Industries was quick to release their Atari converter for Colecovision.
    They found that they could fool Atari by completely switching components.
    After the release of the Expansion Module # 1, released Coleco Industries subsequently a unique clone.
    So here is it, the Atari 2600 single clone from Coleco Inc. called: Atari Gemini.

It has a very nice and compact design, and use a special programmed Coleco chip instead of the chip Atari used in its time
    Coleco Gemini was only on the market in a short time.
    ----====----

Coleco developed initially this prototype of the Atari module.
    How a game cartridge were inserted, has ColecoVision.dk no information about.

Both were prototypes and was never released to the public.
    The prototypes shown on the photos above, could probably have worked.
    But Coleco decided before its release that it should have the oblique design.
    The final Atari 2600 Converter.
    Expansion Module # 1.

Atari was not completely satisfied with Coleco Industries way to attack things, so Atari went to the courts and the defendant promptly Coleco Industries for millions of $.

"It also seeks an injunction against the manufacture and sale of Coleco's Expansion Module No.1, which, Atari contends,
    is intended to allow its VCS compatable cartridges to be played on Colecovision's home video game unit.
    "

Coleco felt for sure that they had the right on their side, so Coleco fought back against Atari Corporation.
    "Coleco responded by filing a $ 500 million counterclaim, charging violations of antitrust law.
    Coleco said it does not infringe any valid patent and that the Atari lawsuit was without merit
    ."

Coleco made subsequently an agreement with Atari and the Court.
    So Coleco Industries undertook to pay royalties to the ATARI Corp. (Warner Communication).
    Atari and Coleco could see potential for both of their systems, and they start to make games for each other.
    Atari made a lot of games for ColecoVision and Coleco Industries created some games for the Atari VCS System.
    Atari made some fabulous fine games for Coleco, but rumors has it that Coleco did not make their games so fine for Atari.

Tiger.
    Another thing Coleco was not fully aware of was when Coleco had launched their Expansion Module # 1.
    They forgot that some of those who make cartridges actually have a different size than the regular size.
    These were, for example, Tiger Vision cartridges.
    Some of these cartridges like Tiger Vision games would not have physical electrical contact, because the plastic cartridge case did not fit the hole in the expansion module.
    Therefore, rather quickly after it was discovered made a small extender that you then mounted in the cartridge hole before applying the aforementioned games.

So you should just call Coleco or Starpath back in the early 80s, and they sent you an adapter for free.
    All you had to do was to inform about your Expansion serial number and your address over the phone.
    When it arrived there was attached a note which said it had a $ 60 value.
    But Coleco were only supplying one per household and not one per each Atari converter that a person owns.
    It cost Coleco money, since they offered them for free for those who asked for one back then.
    The device did that the Atari 2600 adapter was 100% compatible with all Atari 2600 cartridges.

| width="233" align="center" |
    |-
    Without the extenderWith the extender
    The pictures above show how the adapter looks and how it is mounted.
    |-
Views: 17
Size:  423.8 KB
    As you can see on these pins, the signal passes straight through.
    Coleco games available for Atari VCS 2600 and Mattel Intellivision.
    Atari Games by: Coleco.
    Cabbage Patch Kids
    Lady Bug
    Looping
    Mouse Trap
    241925 - 2459
    Pepper II
    Rock 'n Rope
    Smurf 244325
    Space Fury
    Space Panic
    Tarzan
    Time Pilot
    Turbo
    Gorf
    Carnival
    244525 - 2468
    Cosmic Avenger
    Donkey Kong
    241125 - 2451
    Donkey Kong Jr.
    Front Line
    Venture
    241725 - 2457
    Wizard Of Wor
    Zaxxon
    243525 - 2454
    Intellivision Games by: Coleco.
    Donkey Kong:
    Venture:
    Lady Bug:
    Carnival
    Zaxxon
    Turbo
    Cosmic Avenger
    MouseTrap
    Smurf

Bill Rose, former Coleco employee wrote:
    Date: March 15, 2010.
    "The Atari module was actually a nearly complete Atari game system.
    About all we used from Colecovision was the power supply and perhaps the video modulator (I forget the details).
    It gave us full compatibility with Atari games because it was an Atari system.
    I don't think the Z80 or graphics processor was used for anything when using the module
    ."
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit73 View Post
    The game settings and game play looks good, but I'm wondering if using a ColecoVision for an Atari 2600 game is a valid hardware configuration for this track.

I'm relatively new to Twin Galaxies and this is the first time I've seen this come up. I searched the site and didn't find any information on whether this configuration is valid or if an actual Atari console is required.

Before I vote on this and other similar submissions, I'm hoping someone with a longer history on Twin Galaxies can comment on whether this issue has been discussed and on what decisions were made.
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
    Thanks kermit73 thanked this post
    Likes kermit73 liked this post
  5. 05-20-2022, 07:51 PM
    Thank you for the detailed response. Voting yes on this submission.
    Thanks starsoldier1 thanked this post
    Likes starsoldier1 liked this post
  6. 05-20-2022, 07:52 PM
    Here is the website
    ColecoVision Atari Converter / Expansion Module #1.Name:  image.png
Views: 19
Size:  57.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kermit73 View Post

Thanks kermit73 thanked this post
    Likes kermit73 liked this post
Join us