SNES / SFC - Donkey Kong Country Competition Pak - EMU - Highest Score - 5,140

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll
  1. SNES / SFC - Donkey Kong Country Competition Pak - EMU - Highest Score - 5,140

08-02-2022, 10:13 AM
    vzaar-player

EMU - Highest Score
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=212059
    Rank
    Rules

Unlimited Lifes, 5 Minute Timer Special Rules: None

Submission Message
    SNES / SFC - Donkey Kong Country Competition Pak - EMU - Highest Score - 5,140 Allan Shearer (AllanLetsPlay)

Attached Images Attached Images  
  2. 08-02-2022, 10:15 AM
    Thank you guys for the help here is my upload again
    Likes nads, wwdkong liked this post
  3. 08-09-2022, 09:51 PM
    I hope this one will get accepted I will be back uploading more high score points soon when I get a new gaming computer
    Likes Excelliron liked this post
  4. 08-10-2022, 04:56 AM
    Greetings Allan, welcome to Twin Galaxies.

Someone please enlighten me, the words "competition pack" are throwing me off. Is this different than normal SNES DK Country?
    Rampage Arcade World Champion
    ...............Roy was Right..................
  5. 08-10-2022, 05:31 AM
    Yes, this is a different timed version of DKC not sold in stores but used in tournaments or special events. The real CP cart in out there but is very tough to get and could easily go for over a thousand bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excelliron View Post
    Greetings Allan, welcome to Twin Galaxies.

Someone please enlighten me, the words "competition pack" are throwing me off. Is this different than normal SNES DK Country?
    -Ohya, baby! I'm the first ever dude on the planet to get a documented PERFECT score on Bonk's Adventure!
    I also have a high score on Alfred Chicken.... yeah, not as good.
    http://videogames101.com
    or http://www.youtube.com/user/starsoldier1
    Thanks Excelliron thanked this post
  6. 08-11-2022, 08:51 PM
    I'm on the fence. I dunno much about the competition pak but just to be clear the constant restarting (losing a life near the end of the 1st level) is that what's neccessary or just point farming. Sorry if i offend i just never saw the competion pak version of dkc
  7. 08-12-2022, 02:36 AM
    @NeoMage in timed games Leeching/Point Farming is allowed.
    This competition pack having a 5 minute time limit would seem to allow that, and nothing in the rules seem to indicate otherwise.

All that said, my bread and butter is more in the console dept, im not all that familiar with Emulation so idk about save states and all that, but from what I see here this all seems to check out. Unless someone with more knowledge of emulation comes along and says something is fishy I will likely be voting yes on this.
    Rampage Arcade World Champion
    ...............Roy was Right..................
  8. 08-12-2022, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Excelliron View Post
    @NeoMage in timed games Leeching/Point Farming is allowed.
    This competition pack having a 5 minute time limit would seem to allow that, and nothing in the rules seem to indicate otherwise.

All that said, my bread and butter is more in the console dept, im not all that familiar with Emulation so idk about save states and all that, but from what I see here this all seems to check out. Unless someone with more knowledge of emulation comes along and says something is fishy I will likely be voting yes on this.
    I can't tell if it's hardware or software...to bury the lead i'll go with software emulation. Thanks for clarifying about point farming in the case of this game. I'm gonna vote yes.
    Thanks AllanLetsPlay thanked this post
    Likes AllanLetsPlay liked this post
  9. 08-17-2022, 06:08 AM
    This was software emulation i run this on my SNES mini
    Likes NeoMage liked this post
  10. 12-02-2022, 07:27 AM
    TLDR; - if this is on the SNES-Mini directly, then it should be on a new track in the SNES Classic platform as that isn't emulation of the original.

Trying to tackle the issue of a submission stuck at the end of the queue. Here we have a game which has a built-in timer, repetitive gameplay and a SNES-Mini. The problem is largely one of categorisation and lack of obvious evidence, IMO. The evidence provides easy confirmation of an achievement of 5140. Through experience, the game can be confirmed as Donkey Kong Competition Pak. Unfortunately, the remains insufficient evidence to confirm the categorisation of either "SNES / SFC" or "EMU" in the submitted claim.

Others have cited the repetition of the game play. As the game which has a timer, the "leeching" rules permit repetition and intentional dying in order to repeat those sections which are most judicious for point increases. No problem here & indeed this game is intended to be a cyclical repetition.

The evidence presented is cited as being a direct capture of a SNES-Mini (my purposeful hyphen to separate it from the original SNES and the SNES-Classic). The SNES-Mini is a miniaturised SNES-Classic and both devices are an FPGA device which simulate running the the original hardware: they do not emulate it. FPGA devices have only been permitted to the scoreboard during the current TG era (2015+) and the discretionary method of tracking FPGA devices has been to create new platforms - beginning with the JROK, through Sega Genesis Mini, Flashback series and most recently the MiSTEr FPGA. As the SNES-Mini is a re-modeled ("miniaturised") version of the SNES-Classic, any native games to the SNES-Mini should be on the SNES-Classic platform.

The Donkey Kong Country Competition Pak is not a native game to the SNES-Mini according to Nintendo documented sources [1] [2]. As such the game is either leveraged onto the SNES-Mini for play in its own FPGA capability or an emulator has been leveraged onto the SNES-Mini to play the game.

The evidence does show an interface which is alien to me (my lack of knowledge of the platform). I'm unable to identify that interface and therefore am unable to ascertain whether this is truly an emulator from the footage. Many videos of hacking the SNES-Mini to natively play leveraged games onto the system show the SNES-Mini interface in use and that does not match this video's interface that I've seen thus far.

Conclusion: lack of evidence to correctly categorise the accomplishment.

[1] https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nin...iTrailer%7Cw34
    [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Ge7iVyOyw
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Join us