thegamer1185's Feed

thegamer1185
07-19-2019 at 01:47 PM
22 Comments
Rate this Entry

Adjudicating incorrect scores

Just making this a place to officially have a conversation about this. It's been happening for years and I figured it's about time we localize the discussion. Here is the situation. XXX submits a score. The score they actually achieved and the score they entered for a submission are not the same. I have never seen a score that didn't match the score be accepted if it was more than they earned. Example - I achieved 100 pts, but entered 110. These situations have always been rejected as they should. I didn't achieve the score. However, there have been scores accepted and/or rejected where the reverse of my example happens. As in, I achieved 100, but entered 99. Let the debate begin.

I personally feel if the score you achieved is not the scored entered, then it should be rejected. They didn't achieve the slower/lower score, why then should they be accepted as such? Should it matter if someone enters a lower score than achieved? My loose attitude towards most things says it shouldn't. But we are all about accuracy of the leaderboards. If a score is entered that doesn't match the score achieved, then it's not accurate. If one of these scores is accepted by a group of us because we think it's OK that its slower/lower, but another group thinks it shouldn't have been allowed and they dispute the score, it's just a mess.

I can also make the argument what if I enter a score that is technically not achievable in a game, but it is still lower than the score I actually achieved? Example - a games single digit is always 0 but I accidentally enter a 9 as in 100 points is my achieved score but I enter 99 a score lower but not possible to achieved. To me, based on many peoples own arguments, they would allow that score to be accepted even though it's not possible to be achieved in the game. Or they would realized it's not possible to be earned and reject it based on that, but then that contradicts their stance on it's OK to accept a score that is lower than what they achieved. See what I mean?

We are already having scores with great video evidence being rejected simply because they don't show a console/boot up or both. This to me is the next step of that same argument

So I'm voting that if a submission entered doesn't match the score achieved, they should be rejected across the board in all cases. Since it's so easy to resubmit, it's just the logical thing IMO.


ThanksRogerpoco thanked this post
LikesGarrett Holland liked this post
Comments
  1. Barthax's Avatar

    I thought this was already the case. There are situations where the footage is indecipherable at the requisite moment (achievements which are displayed for only a few frames or even just the one) and in such circumstances the discussion should reach a logical conclusion - this also has happened on many occasions.

    Anything that is obviously entered incorrectly but accepted through TGSAP is ripe for a dispute, surely?

    LikesGarrett Holland liked this post
  2. thegamer1185's Avatar

    That's what I'm saying. It happens more than it should and just needs to be a rule in TG Policies. Incorrect scores are rejected. Just my opinion. That's what I'm debating I guess. Just saves a lost more hassle later on.

  3. kernzyp's Avatar

    Incorrect scores almost always get weeded out. It's an obvious no vote.

  4. Rogerpoco's Avatar

    How about this tho, for a theoretical(tho it's happened...I've done it, lol!).


    There are homebrew games tracked here, Atari 2600, a few other systems, not sure how often this happens with produced games, but what about a case where a gamer breaks a game, points continue to increase with zero possibility of dying.


    In my particular game(Vaboom, on Vectrex, btw)point potential varied(you could catch bonus hearts, or not), so I actually consulted with a couple people before submitting, decided the point total up to the game breaking was the appropriate score to enter-I haven't always agreed with the Vectrex decisions, tho I respect them(Spike, lol), but I do think it was the right thing to do in that case.


    Hmm, I don't keep an actual list, but I have to remember to add that to my Killscreen resume!!!

    @RTM , I know you were interested in that topic a while back-what do you think, killscreen, game gave up?


    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/171512



    LikesBarthax liked this post
  5. thegamer1185's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by kernzyp

    Incorrect scores almost always get weeded out. It's an obvious no vote.

    Well you say that. Others don't agree. I can' remember the submission in the queue right now where this is being talked about.

  6. sdwyer138's Avatar

    The score in the video is what you achieved. If you make a text typo when submitting, you should be allowed to have it corrected by admin.

    LikesILLSeaBass liked this post
  7. thegamer1185's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138

    The score in the video is what you achieved. If you make a text typo when submitting, you should be allowed to have it corrected by admin.

    Then why are people being told they need to resubmit their scores by people voting no? Why should TG fix a mistake that can just be resubmitted correctly by the user? I'm not being a smart ass, these are just all things that have been said at some point which is why I'm making the point of this thread. Just make it a policy to vote no to avoid others fixing a mistake when the submitter can just do it themselves without all the repeated debating and what not. Just messes up a submission thread and sooner or later the toxic effect kicks in and the submissions remains in the queue for fear of the dreaded CR hit

  8. Ninglendo's Avatar

    I got a good one for ya. I once submitted a speedrun here using the TGSAP only to have to resubmit it because I was too accurate with my time. I was actually told to round my end time LOL

    LikesRogerpoco, Marcade liked this post
  9. thegamer1185's Avatar

    Sounds to me like you entered an incorrectly rounded score then, ha!

    ThanksNinglendo thanked this post
  10. Snowflake's Avatar

    Impossible scores without video is the only proof we have corrupt lazy refs entered whatever score their lying pals claimed


    That said fir a speedrun if someone enters a slower time due to difficulty in timing I’ll accept

    LikesMarcade liked this post
  11. Ninglendo's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake

    Impossible scores without video is the only proof we have corrupt lazy refs entered whatever score their lying pals claimed


    That said fir a speedrun if someone enters a slower time due to difficulty in timing I’ll accept

    Yeah but I had a frame counter to count the exact frames of the run. Now imagine telling a top Super Mario Bros. speedrunner they have to round their times. The people are literally competing over frames.


  12. sdwyer138's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninglendo



    Yeah but I had a frame counter to count the exact frames of the run. Now imagine telling a top Super Mario Bros. speedrunner they have to round their times. The people are literally competing over frames.



    This is why speedruns don't belong on TG

    Thankskernzyp, Ninglendo thanked this post
    Likeskernzyp, thegamer1185, Blackflag82 liked this post
  13. Snowflake's Avatar

    Lol rtm justified Todd’s Imposrble wabbit score by saying round it and destroy the evidenc. Don’t believe me that’s how corrupt refs used to hide fake scores? Read the first ten comments and see for yourself. They just rounded to cover up cheating and rtm himself tries to do it in tgsap to this day

    LikesMarcade liked this post
  14. Snowflake's Avatar

    Lol rtm justified Todd’s Imposrble wabbit score by saying round it and destroy the evidenc. Don’t believe me that’s how corrupt refs used to hide fake scores? Read the first ten comments and see for yourself. They just rounded to cover up cheating and rtm himself tries to do it in tgsap to this day

  15. Snowflake's Avatar

    Gummy substance, Todd scores rounded, Ron self entry, see the one unifying pattern people !!!!

    LikesMarcade liked this post
  16. thegamer1185's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake

    Impossible scores without video is the only proof we have corrupt lazy refs entered whatever score their lying pals claimed


    That said fir a speedrun if someone enters a slower time due to difficulty in timing I’ll accept

    That's what I'm saying, why can't they enter the time they say they got then without rounding the number? The rounding makes their time incorrect. We are just contributing to an inaccurate leader board.

    LikesSnowflake, Marcade liked this post
    Updated 07-19-2019 at 05:09 PM by thegamer1185
  17. thegamer1185's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake

    Gummy substance, Todd scores rounded, Ron self entry, see the one unifying pattern people !!!!

    So dispute the scores man! Get after them is you know they did it.

  18. Snowflake's Avatar

    How can I dispute fake scores with no video evidence? Todd’s fake scores he swore he saw and Ron’s fake scores he defended are already removed. The say based on this review the other scores he “verified”

  19. Marcade's Avatar

    With all of Todd's and Ron's scores "gone for good", Id strongly estimate the database just eliminated over 70% of all bogus scores. A big step to help correct and straighten out all the corruptness from "back in the day"

    ThanksSnowflake thanked this post
    LikesSnowflake liked this post
  20. Snowflake's Avatar

    [QUOTE=Marcade;bt45521]

    With all of Todd's and Ron's scores "gone for good", Id strongly estimate the database just eliminated over 70% of all bogus scores. A big step to help correct and straighten out all the corruptness from "back in the day"


    [/QUOTE|

    I agree. But is that enough? Research and find the root problem, deal with it, and remove the other fake scores that are part of the same conspiracy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us