TWIN GALAXIES's Feed

TWIN GALAXIES
06-14-2018 at 10:46 PM
16 Comments
Rate this Entry

New Platform, New Track Thread :)

Name:  mig.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  11.9 KB
Please use this thread to post your request for new tracks on the new platforms.
We are not putting a limit on new tracks for these platforms so request away. :)

As a reminder, these platforms are:

Commodore Plus 4 / C16 / C116
APF-MP1000
AppleTV
Bandai WonderSwan/WonderSwan Color
Sega SG-1000

And please submit them in this format:

Platform:
Game Name:
Score Type:
Ranking Method:
Description:
Specific Rule Set:


:)
Thanksjmb thanked this post
LikesToddRoy liked this post
Comments
  1. Snowflake's Avatar
    sweet my first though was "i wonder if someone will request wonderswan" then i saw it listed. nice. i'm not an expert on wonderswan but i know others want it so i was wondering when it would happen.
  2. Barthax's Avatar
    Curiosity: isn't AppleTV just another iOS device?
    LikesSnowflake liked this post
  3. Connor 101's Avatar
    What is a thread?
  4. Snowflake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor 101
    What is a thread?
    a thread is any list of comments on a topic. A discussion. Your comment was on this thread
    ThanksConnor 101 thanked this post
  5. Connor 101's Avatar
    Ok thank you
  6. sdwyer138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax
    Curiosity: isn't AppleTV just another iOS device?
    I suggested AppleTV, so I'll offer up my reasoning.

    Depending on the generation, AppleTV has been powered by a modified MacOS, then a modified iOS, and presently its own tvOS (built on iOS). So in that regard, yes the tech behind it is quite similar to iOS. Gaming on the AppleTV was introduced on the 4th gen system, with the launch of the App Store and the switch to tvOS.

    However, it is displayed on a television and is controlled with a remote. The remote has motion sensor that is used by some games. Thus you have a completely different gaming experience than what you would get on an iPhone or iPad with a smaller, handheld touchscreen. This indicates to me that should stand on its own as a separate platform.
    ThanksBarthax thanked this post
  7. Barthax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138
    I suggested AppleTV, so I'll offer up my reasoning.

    Depending on the generation, AppleTV has been powered by a modified MacOS, then a modified iOS, and presently its own tvOS (built on iOS). So in that regard, yes the tech behind it is quite similar to iOS. Gaming on the AppleTV was introduced on the 4th gen system, with the launch of the App Store and the switch to tvOS.

    However, it is displayed on a television and is controlled with a remote. The remote has motion sensor that is used by some games. Thus you have a completely different gaming experience than what you would get on an iPhone or iPad with a smaller, handheld touchscreen. This indicates to me that should stand on its own as a separate platform.
    I note that game pads are available for all iOS systems making the input a choice and equal, realistically. Is it the same library of games?

    Not trying to prevent this being a platform: just trying to understand the distinction. :)
  8. sdwyer138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax
    I note that game pads are available for all iOS systems making the input a choice and equal, realistically. Is it the same library of games?

    Not trying to prevent this being a platform: just trying to understand the distinction. :)
    I feel there is more of a distinction between AppleTV and iPhone than there is between NES, NES Classic, and Wii Virtual Console. Those all have a same controller option and library of games ;)
    LikesBarthax liked this post
  9. swaggers's Avatar
    I didn't know you were looking into new platforms. Would like to propose a platform like the -GWR where system doesn't matter and is laid out in the tracks. I am suggesting this for modern games like Fortnite, Call of Duty, Trackmania Turbo, Etc, etc. where the console doesn't matter anymore. I'd rather see people being able to compete on a more global level. And if someone only wants to track a game on an actual console that option would still remain.
    Not looking to compare DK on arcade to 2600, but let's be honest, PS4, Xbox ONE, they play the same games the same way.
    Likessdwyer138 liked this post
    Updated 06-15-2018 at 07:36 AM by swaggers
  10. Snowflake's Avatar
    oh wow i'm more ignorant than i realized. I assumed there really were different games and barthax was just arguing semantics -- which i love and respect. Now though I have a similiar serious question. If the only difference is controller, then isnt that more like a pal/ntsc difference? granted i want to see pal/ntsc split so maybe not best comparison. but i wonder if the solution could be to just give appletv different tracks under the same platform.

    sorry if i'm completely misunderstanding the problem. really not arguing here. not an expert. trying to understand.
  11. Barthax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138
    I feel there is more of a distinction between AppleTV and iPhone than there is between NES, NES Classic, and Wii Virtual Console. Those all have a same controller option and library of games ;)
    On the NES side the distinction is that they are different fundamental technologies that are made to play the same games (like PS4 vs. Xbox One where the same game is released to both). Due to the differences in the underlying technology they are kept separate in case there is a proven issue found further down the line - easy to keep something already segregated than to divide a merged platform. Not sure how easily that applies to the iOS suite of hardware (which if you compare iPhone 1 to the latest is a world apart!). The Android platform already has merged hardware in this regard - huge range of different hardware types, including the Amazon FireTV stick which is a TV plugin+remote (with gamepad options available).

    Doesn't matter which way the AppleTV is treated, there's precedent either side. :D
    Updated 06-15-2018 at 07:54 AM by Barthax
  12. Snowflake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax
    On the NES side the distinction is that they are different fundamental technologies that are made to play the same games (like PS4 vs. Xbox One where the same game is released to both). Due to the differences in the underlying technology they are kept separate in case there is a proven issue found further down the line - easy to keep something already segregated than to divide a merged platform. Not sure how easily that applies to the iOS suite of hardware (which if you compare iPhone 1 to the latest is a world apart!). The Android platform already has merged hardware in this regard - huge range of different hardware types, including the Amazon FireTV stick which is a TV plugin+remote (with gamepad options available).

    Doesn't matter which way the AppleTV is treated, there's precedent either side. :D
    this is an important point about most new things. most games get updates and scores on an update can be unfair to compare to scores before that. I think its weird only MAME has a version column. i'm thinking most stuff needs some sort of version column. and heck, for this ios stuff, you might need one version column for version of hardware and another for version of game. game classfication is not nearly as simple and atomic as it once was. all sorts of merging and bifurcating.
  13. Barthax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swaggers
    I didn't know you were looking into new platforms. Would like to propose a platform like the -GWR where system doesn't matter and is laid out in the tracks. I am suggesting this for modern games like Fortnite, Call of Duty, Trackmania Turbo, Etc, etc. where the console doesn't matter anymore. I'd rather see people being able to compete on a more global level. And if someone only wants to track a game on an actual console that option would still remain.
    Not looking to compare DK on arcade to 2600, but let's be honest, PS4, Xbox ONE, they play the same games the same way.
    The immediate hiccup (not a big problem) I see with a merged platform option is reboot games and, as you described, games that are ported that are not like-for-like. Imagine going to the scoreboard and finding DK (ported) or even Tomb Raider (original vs. reboot) in the mix. Which one is it? Many ported games (even today) have minor variations where one platform may actually be a better option (be it hardware or game choices).
  14. bensweeneyonbass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swaggers
    I didn't know you were looking into new platforms. Would like to propose a platform like the -GWR where system doesn't matter and is laid out in the tracks. I am suggesting this for modern games like Fortnite, Call of Duty, Trackmania Turbo, Etc, etc. where the console doesn't matter anymore. I'd rather see people being able to compete on a more global level. And if someone only wants to track a game on an actual console that option would still remain.
    Not looking to compare DK on arcade to 2600, but let's be honest, PS4, Xbox ONE, they play the same games the same way.
    The Contest/Tournament platform is non-console specific. Do you think it would satisfy this need?
  15. Danny Rumsey's Avatar
    What ever the new games are, maybe always add NTSC & PAL versions straight away, as seen a few games like I'd go for and just NTSC and so I would have to go through whole new thing just to add that version and attempt that record also :-)
    Likesjmb liked this post
  16. jmb's Avatar
    Platform: Commodore Plus 4 / C16 / C116
    Game Name: Bat Attack
    Score Type: Points
    Ranking Method: Highest is best
    Description: NTSC - Points
    Specific Rule Set: No code modifications or cheats allowed. Player must show the computer power on and game load in the recording before the game play.


    Also please add the same track for PAL




    Thanks,
    John
Join us